LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Patriots safety accused of shooting 2 men

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
i knew exactly who you were talking about when i read the title. dumbass.

Yeah, me too rofl. f**king thugs, I tell ya.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Wow

Sheesh.

I ain't saying to tie people down but owners should have clauses in contracts where everything is void if there's an issue in a night club or something like that or during a certain time of night...

A lot of that is covered by personal conduct wording, IIRC.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
http://deadspin.com/#!5780444/patriots-safety-brandon-meriweather-allegedly-guns-down-two-men-during-brawl

Luke O'Brien— New England Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather allegedly shot two men, one of them in the head, during a fight on Feb. 27 outside a house party in Apopka, Fla., according to John Morgan, attorney for the victims.

The trouble started at the Blue Jeans Lounge in Apokpa when a friend of Meriweather's allegedly beat up a woman, according to Morgan. The woman's brother arrived later with his own friend, and the conflagration shifted to a nearby party, where the brother soon got the better of Meriweather's friend in a fight. That's when Meriweather allegedly pulled out his gun and fired at the brother, grazing the man's face and hitting the other victim in the head, according to Morgan.

"He's extremely lucky to be alive," Morgan said.

What a f*cking idiot. Why the hell would you shoot someone for beating up your friend that just beat up a WOMAN? This might be the dumbest thing a football player has ever done.

EDIT: If it's even true, which I wouldn't doubt.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Mar 10, 2011 at 10:51 AM ]
wow...he done.
Silly Meriweather, you're supposed to be the hitman on the field, not off the field. Sounds like an honest mistake with a loaded weapon that someone magically appeared in his hand, I bet.
man, I didn't even see this one. geez
guns are cool
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Innocent until proven guilty....no ?

Quote:
The legal guardian for Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather has heard the allegations against the person he helped raise. And Tim Bridges left no doubt on his stance.

“It’s not true,” Bridges told me in a phone conversation a minute ago.

Bridges told me that there’s “no truth to the rumors” that Meriweather was the shooter in an Apopka, Fla., incident from two weeks ago. Yes, he was in town, but Bridges had no knowledge of Meriweather being at the apparent scene of the incident.

“I’m sure the attorneys will handle whatever needs to be handled,” said Bridges, who Meriweather calls, Pops. “‘Everything will come out if there’s anything to come out. But statements have been given by the Orange County Sheriff’s Department that Brandon Meriweather is not a victim, nor a person of interest in any shooting.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2011/03/10/the-legal-guardian-for-patriots-safety-brandon-meriweather-says-of-allegations-its-not-true/

Well he hasn't been arrested, which says a lot.

yup, he is obviously on the run, damn fugitives

Its time to call Tommy Lee Jones

Did someone say "The Fugitive"?

He was also a cop in an episode of Seinfeld.
If our team could rush the passer as well as us fans rush to judgement, I'd be ok with wasting a pick on Newton or Gabbert.
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
If our team could rush the passer as well as us fans rush to judgement, I'd be ok with wasting a pick on Newton or Gabbert.

Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Safety my ass.

lol
Happened a month ago, and the two men at the party say Merriweather did it, but the attorney is not convinced of that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=6202804&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Quote:
Police and the NFL are trying to determine what role, if any, New England Patriots defensive back Brandon Meriweather had in a shooting in Florida last month.

The Orange County Sheriff's Department issued a statement on Thursday saying that Meriweather, among others, was present at a Feb. 28 shooting that is being investigated.

According to multiple media reports, the shooting occurred at a residence in Apopka, Fla., where Meriweather went to high school before heading to the University of Miami and then the NFL.

Sheriff's Department records list Nico Stanley, 23, and Quentin Taylor, 24, as victims in the Feb. 28 shooting on West 17th Street and South Central Avenue in Apopka, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

The lawyer for the two men, John Morgan, told multiple media outlets that the two men claim that Meriweather was the shooter. They claim to have gone to high school with Meriweather, who graduated in 2002. Morgan said he had just met the men and was not jumping to conclusions.

More on the Patriots

Mike Reiss has the Patriots blanketed for ESPNBoston.com. Check in for constantly updated coverage. Blog

"I don't know if it happened or not," he said, according to the Sentinel. "I am presuming him [Meriweather] innocent until proven guilty."

And he told WEEI Radio in Boston that he wasn't convinced Meriweather was the shooter.

"I have a lot of doubt about that," Morgan said. "That's what these fellas told me. But I don't assume that to be true at all. I assume nothing to be true until we get an investigation completed."

In an e-mail to the Sentinel, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said: "We are looking into it to determine the facts."

The Patriots also issued a statement.

"We are aware of the reported allegation, but do not have any additional information," it read.

According to the Sentinel, Meriweather has retained Florida attorney Adam Swickle.

"I am aware of the investigation," Swickle said, according to the newspaper. "We are doing our own investigation."

He said he would not comment further because the criminal investigation was ongoing.

Morgan said that one man was shot in the head and another's face was grazed by a bullet.

There was a fight at an Apopka bar prior to the shooting, Sheriff's Department records obtained by multiple media outlets show.

According to records, Stanley and Taylor were taken to Florida Hospital Apopka, with one listed in critical condition. The second victim was released. One of the victims signed a 'declination of intent' to prosecute, according to records. He also claimed at that time that he did not know the shooter.

According to a Boston Globe report, however, not only did one of the victims know Meriweather, he is related to him. Another anonymous relative of Meriweather who says he was at the scene of the shooting told the newspaper that Meriweather was actually trying to break up a fight when Taylor was shot by a different man. The witness claimed that Taylor is Meriweather's cousin.

He also said that Meriweather never had a gun and the alleged gunman was not a friend of the football player.

One person is sure that Meriweather was not responsible for the shooting.

"It's not true," Meriweather's legal guardian, Tim Bridges, told the Boston Herald.

"I'm sure the attorneys will handle whatever needs to be handled," Bridges said, according to the newspaper. "Everything will come out if there's anything to come out. But statements have been given by the Orange County Sheriff's Department that Brandon Meriweather is not a victim, nor a person of interest in any shooting."

Earlier Thursday, the Sheriff's Department had issued a statement saying that Meriweather was not a victim, suspect or witness in any shooting they were investigating. They later said that he was present at the shooting in question.

Meriweather was a first-round draft pick of the Patriots in 2007. He had 68 tackles and three interceptions last season.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
He won't be a free safety for long.

I know some of you PETA guys will disagree, but this thing makes Mike Vick's issue look trivial.

I know, I love dogs too.
Share 49ersWebzone