LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

Three teams talking Kolb

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by dj43:
I think 90% of 49er fans realize that giving up a 1st or even a 2nd for Kevin Kolb is not only a very high price for an unproven player, but would also cripple the chances of solving the need for a pass rusher and a quality CB.

True, but who do we have start at QB? is that same 90% convinced Alex will suddenly do well? With a good QB, we will dramatically improve. A lockdown CB is not going to make us better by a big margin. I think the real competition is between a stud pass rusher or QB.

I am not on the train of giving up a first for Kolb. However, if it costs us a second or a 3rd and 4th, then I would be okay with it.
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Nes49:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
OH GAWD NO KOLB PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Alex Smith 2.0

U don't think Haubaugh can develop him?

If Harbaugh can develop him, he could probably develop Smith. I hope we are not one of the three. A first rounder! Even two seconds!
Our greatest needs are pass rush and CB. If we have to give up either of those two to get an unproven QB who MIGHT work in the Harbaugh offense I am afraid the results would not be very nice.

I'm waaaay on the other side of you in the ongoing Alex Smith debate, but I'd much rather have Alex start another year and keep our 1st round pick for a CB or pass rusher than swap that pick for any of the QBs it can bring us.

Then draft andrew luck!!! BAM SUPERBOWL!!
  • dj43
Originally posted by SJniner7:
I think 90% of 49er fans realize that giving up a 1st or even a 2nd for Kevin Kolb is not only a very high price for an unproven player, but would also cripple the chances of solving the need for a pass rusher and a quality CB.

True, but who do we have start at QB? is that same 90% convinced Alex will suddenly do well? With a good QB, we will dramatically improve. A lockdown CB is not going to make us better by a big margin. I think the real competition is between a stud pass rusher or QB.

I am not on the train of giving up a first for Kolb. However, if it costs us a second or a 3rd and 4th, then I would be okay with it.
One of the myriad Alex Smith threads showed that something like 70% preferred Smith over any of the options in FA or trade. There is a hard-core who want him gone at all cost but they are a small minority. Most recognize reality and prefer to give Harbaugh a year to put in a real offense and fit it around Smith. (I'm not interested in another round of Alex.)

Yes, the real competition is between OLB and CB, and I am firmly on the side of OLB first, CB second. At that point if we could trade into the back end of the second to grab Dalton/Ponzi/Scanzi, I am OK with it but would prefer to sign Alex to a 2 year deal and draft a rookie next year when the overall quality will be better and deeper.
Share 49ersWebzone