There are 269 users in the forums

Proposed Solution to the 18 game season

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by HessianDud:
keep it a 16 game season.

problem solved.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Goodell may be the worst commissioner in all of sports.
make the extra 2 games lottery style picks

every 2 draws = a game, you might play a team in your division 3 times!

and they could make it a tv event

boom
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Paul:
17 game season

That's what they should do. Play 17 games. Play the one-off game in other countries or big cities where there are no football teams. Take the game to Mexico, Canada, Europe, LA, Sacramento, somewhere in Oklahoma, Nebraska, Nevada, Alabama etc. ams.

Reduce the pre-season to 2 games and continue with 1-bye week for the season.
The NFL should at least make all 53 men on the roster eligible for gameday. I never understood why the rosters were 53 but only 45 could dress for games. That just doesn't make good sense.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
You got guys getting multi concussions and Goodell wants to add more games.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
18 game season is gonna happen some day, they should just stop fighting it. Whoever thought from a 12 game season they would go to 16.

Increase the roster, problem solved.
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Another interesting solution I heard was to go to a 17 game season, with each team playing one international game per year.

That international game could be in London, Canada, Mexico or wherever.

It would solve a few issues at once.

It's a perfect compromise between 16 and 18 games.

It would bring enough games to London to keep them from needing their own team.

And it would be the end of teams losing a home game because they have to play abroad.

And it would give all teams an equal chance to gain international appeal.

All teams would either end the season as winners or losers. No more .500 teams.

Honestly, I'd much rather just keep it simple at stick with 16 games. But I do think that this 16 domestic plus 1 international game is a pretty innovative way to make a deal that both sides might go for.

That sounds like a good idea. I would also like to see an all-start break in the middle of the season. All teams would have a bye one week, and the NFL would have the top players from the first half of the season compete in non-contact skill challenges.

I think they still do these at the pro-bowl, but to be honest I don't pay much attention to them anymore. This would give all the players a week of rest and would give the NFL another revenue opportunity.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Keep it a 16 game season. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Keep it a 16 game season. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

+1

Players can come off IR and play the rest of the season and playoffs
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
17 game season

That's what they should do. Play 17 games. Play the one-off game in other countries or big cities where there are no football teams. Take the game to Mexico, Canada, Europe, LA, Sacramento, somewhere in Oklahoma, Nebraska, Nevada, Alabama etc. ams.

17 won't work. The owners are all looking for another home game to increase revenues. That's why they want the extra 2 games (1 home, 1 away).

An increased roster is the answer. It's a slight increase in salary for the additional players, but the increased revenue for another game trumps that.

It's the best way, IMO, to keep the starters fresh all year.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
18 game season is gonna happen some day, they should just stop fighting it. Whoever thought from a 12 game season they would go to 16.

Increase the roster, problem solved.

It's more complicated than that. Players want to be compensated accordingly for the extra games and the likely increase in revenue.
Originally posted by strickac:
17 game season

17 won't work. The owners are all looking for another home game to increase revenues. That's why they want the extra 2 games (1 home, 1 away).

An increased roster is the answer. It's a slight increase in salary for the additional players, but the increased revenue for another game trumps that.

I'm a big fan of increasing roster size, whether the go to 18 games or not.

Why force teams to carry fewer developmental players? Increasing rosters would benefit teams because they could afford extra bench/developmental/special teams players. And it would mean more jobs available for players. Making it possible for more football players to be pros here in the US.

Also, I'd really like to see them start a developmental league. If NFL teams could send players down to a minor league team and call them back up during the season, it would allow for a lot more fringe players to get the time they need to develop. And it would help to have players to call on if you have injuries.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Originally posted by strickac:
17 game season

I'm a big fan of increasing roster size, whether the go to 18 games or not.

Why force teams to carry fewer developmental players? Increasing rosters would benefit teams because they could afford extra bench/developmental/special teams players. And it would mean more jobs available for players. Making it possible for more football players to be pros here in the US.

Also, I'd really like to see them start a developmental league. If NFL teams could send players down to a minor league team and call them back up during the season, it would allow for a lot more fringe players to get the time they need to develop. And it would help to have players to call on if you have injuries.

USFL
Share 49ersWebzone