LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

JaMarcus Russell -- Oakland Mansion in Foreclosure

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
One could say that this fatass is the sole reason why there are new contract structures going on jeopardizing a football season.

I have actually heard Russell's deal being a part of why their will be a rookie salary cap.

actually a few other owners admonished the Alex Smith deal in 2005. The gist was that there is a basic formula and or guideline that dictated a QB at #1 should have received X.....and the Yorks gave him more than that.

So this has been a long drawn out frustration. There was suppose to be a escalating guideline which was followed less and less as each draft came and went.

The gist? Do you have a link? Alex contract was for 49 million with 24 guaranteed. Eli manning's contract(2004 #1 pick via trade) was 54 million with 20 million guaranteed. A 20% increased in guaranteed money but less in overall money. Alex actually made alot less because he renegotiated his contract for less base pay.

One could say that this fatass is the sole reason why there are new contract structures going on jeopardizing a football season.

I have actually heard Russell's deal being a part of why their will be a rookie salary cap.

actually a few other owners admonished the Alex Smith deal in 2005. The gist was that there is a basic formula and or guideline that dictated a QB at #1 should have received X.....and the Yorks gave him more than that.

So this has been a long drawn out frustration. There was suppose to be a escalating guideline which was followed less and less as each draft came and went.

The gist? Do you have a link? Alex contract was for 49 million with 24 guaranteed. Eli manning's contract(2004 #1 pick via trade) was 54 million with 20 million guaranteed. A 20% increased in guaranteed money but less in overall money. Alex actually made alot less because he renegotiated his contract for less base pay.

Yeah. I have a link from 6 years ago

You can choose to believe what you want, thats whats called being a big boy.

Whatever their net difference in contracts was, at that time....other owners did make public complaints that it was too much of a difference and represented a rate of acceleration higher than what they were comfortable with

The CBA dispute right now goes much further than 2007, that is all I am saying

and BTW, I am aware that Alex restructured, and I was talking about articles from 2005, not after Alex restructured.....but you sort of made my point...because this is precisely why many consider the Guaranteed portion the more important figure, because that can't be restructured later. So, it is probably that 20% increase in guaranteed that Alex got over Eli which was the source of frustration
[ Edited by danimal on Mar 10, 2011 at 11:37 AM ]
Imagine this guys'two minute drill;

''Ey showtey, ey...rppm rmpph hang on...sh*t..red 90..red 90...red robin, red robin, applebees..ey ..damn..Tmmo...t...tmmooh...timeout shawty.''

Yeah. I have a link from 6 years ago

You can choose to believe what you want, thats whats called being a big boy.

Whatever their net difference in contracts was, at that time....other owners did make public complaints that it was too much of a difference and represented a rate of acceleration higher than what they were comfortable with

The CBA dispute right now goes much further than 2007, that is all I am saying

and BTW, I am aware that Alex restructured, and I was talking about articles from 2005, not after Alex restructured.....but you sort of made my point...because this is precisely why many consider the Guaranteed portion the more important figure, because that can't be restructured later. So, it is probably that 20% increase in guaranteed that Alex got over Eli which was the source of frustration

Being a big boy means backing up your argument with cited facts. If we're talking bonus money only, let's look at the progression over the last decade.

Tim Couch (2000) - $12,250,000
Michael Vick (2001) - $15,300,000 (20% increase from '00)
David Carr (2002) - $10,920,000 (29% decrease from '01)
Carson Palmer (2003) - $10,010,000 (9% decrease from '02)
Eli Manning (2004) - $20,000,0000 (50% increase from '03)
Alex Smith (2005) - $24,000,000 (20% increase from '04)
Mario Williams, Non-Quarterback (2006) - $26,000,000 (8% increase)
JaMarcus Russell (2007) - $31,500,000 (25% increase from '05)
Jake Long, Non-Quarterback (2007) - $30,000,000 (5% decrease from '07)
Matthew Stafford (2009) - $50,000,000 (37% increase from '07)
Sam Bradford (2010) - $50,000,000 (0% increase from '09)

If we're talking strictly bonus money, Manning's contract clearly bucks the trend. Evaluating base salaries only highlights both Manning's and Russell's horrendous contracts.

There was suppose to be a escalating guideline which was followed less and less as each draft came and went.

According to whom? Escalating guideline? This isn't slotting in baseball. Player agents can ask for as much (Manning) or as little (Palmer) as they want when negotiating. Agents generally begin their bargaining at 15% above the previous pick's contract, but guidelines don't exist as of today.
Share 49ersWebzone