Originally posted by Snider8706:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Atogwe to visit Redskins

link

Somebody please explain to me how the Skins are able to go after big name FA year after year and not be way over the cap? Yet, the moment we the a Niner fan talks about bringing in this FA or that, people on this board scream bloody murder about price tags and the cap.

Big name free agents year after year?

You mean Albert Hanyesworth, DeAngelo Hall and Andre Carter?

The salary cap (as it was prior to this offseason) penalized teams for signing players to large contracts and then subsequently releasing them prior to the end of the contract. Doing so jeopardizes the opportunity to re-sign players in future years.

The 49ers and the Yorks have shown a willingness to sign top free agents in Justin Smith and Nate Clements, as well as re-sign talent in Willis and Davis.

NFL free agency isn't as simple as signing top free agents. Signing players who have peaked to multi-million dollar deals like Albert Haynesworth is incredibly risky. I find it refreshing that the team holds a high regard for talent evaluation, rather than simply signing top free agents.

Dont forget McNabb.

In any case, I think you misunderstood what I was saying. It just seems like every year the Skins throw huge money at guys, but never seem to be in cap trouble. I wasn't saying the Niners should or shouldn't do anything in FA.

With that said, I disagree with you about FA. The fact that the Niners spend a few token dollars on guys like Clements and J.Smith on an otherwise talentless team is no cause to celebration. This team had many holes for many years and the Niners did nothing significant to change that. Building purely through the draft in todays NFL of free agency is a loser strategy. Many of our draft picks have out lived their first contract with us and we still have nothing to show for it. IMO, it's important to build a winner first and then try and sustain it through the draft, ala Pats.

Really? What big names did teams like the:
1. Patriots
2. Packers
3. Colts
4. Saints

sign in recent years?

-9fA

drew brees

the whole saints superbowl teams were other teams "garbage" players

Darren sharper
Jeremy shockey
Jonathan vilma