LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

The Rookie Sacrifice: NFL, NFLPA proposals unveiled

Shop 49ers game tickets
Interesting article in the National Football Post-

One of the major issues in the NFL-NFLPA collective bargaining negotiations has been compensation to rookie players. Unlike a lot of intricate issues of the bargaining process, this one resonates with fans and media.

As I have said often, rookies will be sacrificed in this negotiation. With so many other tough issues to iron out, the “rookie issue” should go smoothly. Owners think rookies make too much; veteran NFL players think rookies make too much; and save for a handful of player agents, no one is advocating for incoming players.

The truth is that not all rookies make too much. In fact, very few do. And the proposals of each side primarily address that group, albeit with some demands from ownership that affect the entire incoming class.

The challenge is reaching common ground. The union made a proposal in October that is more restrictive to rookies than the current system. The NFL formally rejected that proposal this week and countered with a more controlling system. Thus, even on an issue where it appeared there was a bond, there is disagreement, although not insurmountable.

Rest of the article- Link
  • Chief
  • Veteran
The only rookies that make to much are the 1st rounders, the top15 are usually way over paid.
I agree and don't see it being a big issue because the only people that will want the big money for the rookies is maybe DeMaurice Smith who represents all players. However, if he does that then he might get vets and everyone else on his bad side. I agree that most rookies are payed a decent price we just have to fix round 1. Make sure the prices can't increase too much per year or we end up in the same boat down the road.

I think the biggest problem right now is the 16/18 game schedule. Honestly, I wish they would keep it at 16 and just cut a pre season game. No need to lose a full season over that issue. We have been fine with a 16 game schedule for decades. Couldn't they work on that at another time? Perhaps when the season is ongoing and there is no risk of a lockout?
Originally posted by Chief:
The only rookies that make to much are the 1st rounders, the top15 are usually way over paid.

this.

The rest of the rounds do not get great deals. If they fix the first picks, the players will be happier and so will the owners. And so will I as I cringe thinking you could spend 50 mil on a top ten pick and he turns out to be Russell.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

this.

The rest of the rounds do not get great deals. If they fix the first picks, the players will be happier and so will the owners. And so will I as I cringe thinking you could spend 50 mil on a top ten pick and he turns out to be Russell.

In the long run that will probably lead to more trades in the top picks of the draft as teams won't be facing such a financial burden if they miss on a guy.

This issue will be resolved quickly.
If they are having issues on a subject that both owners and players both agree on then we are in for a very long holdout.
  • Paul
  • Veteran

agreed... the guys in the later half of the rounds get pretty cheap deals. For example when we drafted and signed Rashaun Woods we signed him to a 5 year 6 million deal
I like the nba rookie wage scale and think that would be best for the nfl, but expanded to three rounds instead of one. That would help stop all these holdouts that end up hurting the team and the players.
My take on this is that there should be a rookie cap.

Look at it this way, if you graduate from College with a degree in Business are you hired to do a job that pays you what a VP of the company is making? No, you have to earn it by performance (in most cases).

I would support having rookies sign one or two year contracts only, and then have to renegotiate them once they have proven themselves.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

Look at it this way, if you graduate from College with a degree in Business are you hired to do a job that pays you what a VP of the company is making? No, you have to earn it by performance (in most cases).

I would support having rookies sign one or two year contracts only, and then have to renegotiate them once they have proven themselves.

I could certainly live with your suggestion. Seems managements plan screws the borderline rookies who weren't making that much to begin with. They need to start at the top and work down.

Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

Don't know if I agree with 1-2 year contracts, but a rookie wage scale is definitely needed. There would be no more holdouts and it would protect teams from having too much money tied down to busts. If the contracts were 1-2 years, players would never stay with teams. If they have a stellar rookie campaign, it would become a bidding war every year, with absolutely no loyalty to teams.
Share 49ersWebzone