LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 206 users in the forums

Panthers Owner Jerry Richardson

Shop 49ers game tickets
Being a tough negotiator is one thing, but to disrespect perhaps the most well-respected player in the NFL doesn't sound very smart to me. In fact, it seems like that's the kind of thing that will unify the players union to hold out.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
I totally agree with him myself

Really? Totally agree? You think players make enough in 3 years to buy a team? Or that Peyton Manning can't read whatever they were talking about reading?

I think the 3 years thing was an exaggeration to drive home a point, and I do question Peyton Mannings understanding of revenue charts

I'm sure it was an exaggeration to make his point, but his point was a bad one. Most players don't make Manning type money or anything close. The avg salary is around 800k. The avg career is 3 or 4 years. After taxes, they'll be lucky to be able to buy a nice house, especially if they play in an area like San Francisco or DC.

As far as Peyton's ability to read a revenue chart, I don't question it because I don't have a clue as to what he can read. But that certainly wasn't an attempt to be helpful. He just wanted to be a dick.

that is why you question it when you are unsure. He, nor I; am saying that Peyton is unable to truly comprehend the pertinent information......but we question whether he can or not?

Peyton and Drew now have the opportunity to demonstrate that they do now how to keep up in these meetings....but I question if they can.

Its not really offensive at all, nobody can blame a Pro Football Player for not understanding. I wouldn't be able to understand them. I think all Mr. Richardson is pointing out is that owners are going to have a hard time having a productive meeting if they can't get really technical with the numbers. I think he is more frustrated with the lack of a true Business person representing the players

So in conjunction with Richardson's other statements, you think he was simply being helpful when telling Manning he doesn't think he understands how to read the charts?

ABSOLUTELY.

Do you work in corporate America?

I do.

Trust me, the most challenging part of meetings is getting the RIGHT people into the meeting. The most productive meetings I have ever been to were the ones with a strong leader stepping up and saying...you, you and you are dismissed.....we need...so and so instead.

Lets assume for a moment that Peyton and Drew are not understanding the advanced revenue charts. Can a meeting be successful if that is indeed the case??

My answer is that it is doubtful that it could be successful. Pointing out anything that precludes success is being helpful.

Or do you think just being nice and not hurting anyones feelings is what these negotiations really need?

Do you work in the NFL? Assuming that the two environments are identical would be foolish.

You work in "corporate America", but give an example that is not relevant to this scenario.

This is not a business meeting. It is a complicated collective of multiple parties who each have their own interests and agendas. You are dealing with a highly volatile environment where a diverse group of people must come to an agreement.

This is a negotiation, not a meeting.

You do not speak that way if you are attempting to negotiate with someone. You speak that way to your subordinates... if you are an a*****e.

I do not know the situation, either. All that I can tell is that Mr. Richardson is not attempting a negotiation.
He sorta reminds me of the late Boris Yeltsin former Russian President.

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 9erReign:

Really? Totally agree? You think players make enough in 3 years to buy a team? Or that Peyton Manning can't read whatever they were talking about reading?

I think the 3 years thing was an exaggeration to drive home a point, and I do question Peyton Mannings understanding of revenue charts

Players don't make ridiculous amounts of money considering their career span. Certain players make ridiculous amounts of money and this is why most players lose their money long after retirement because most players don't make $10 million a year.

You make 3 million for 4-5 years but will live until 65. That's retirement or out of the league by age 28-33. That's about 40 years of no income. Now consider inflation and that 12-15 million won't be worth crap 40 years from now.

The problem is that players stupidly assume their NFL "career" will set them for life when all it really is is nothing but a 4-10 year stint. These guys put their entire life into this cash when they should have backup plans.

They get more time off than most people yet they still can't find time to learn something or get into something else for the long run?

LOL, you really think 12-15 million isn't enough to retire off of? And inflation is irrelevant because investments will make up for that.

At what age did you even start hearing conversations about investments in your groups. These guys earn this money from 22-26 years of age on average. It's the state of mind/maturity that's lacking.

Give a 40-60 year-old $1 million and he will know what to do with it. Give a 24 year-old that money and it's not the same thing. Yeah, you have exceptions who have parents that guide them with that or they do it themselves. On the other hand, you have the majority who's extended family is looking for a handout.

Give me 1 million a year and i could live off it for awhile, the bulk of the money Going to 1 house, the rest to a cheap hybrid car. Save the rest get a job and live the rest of my life happy. House paid, car paid, done. Rest is for food, clothes from walmart if need, hair cuts. lol and use coupons if i have them!
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by 9erReign:

Players don't make ridiculous amounts of money considering their career span. Certain players make ridiculous amounts of money and this is why most players lose their money long after retirement because most players don't make $10 million a year.

You make 3 million for 4-5 years but will live until 65. That's retirement or out of the league by age 28-33. That's about 40 years of no income. Now consider inflation and that 12-15 million won't be worth crap 40 years from now.

The problem is that players stupidly assume their NFL "career" will set them for life when all it really is is nothing but a 4-10 year stint. These guys put their entire life into this cash when they should have backup plans.

They get more time off than most people yet they still can't find time to learn something or get into something else for the long run?

LOL, you really think 12-15 million isn't enough to retire off of? And inflation is irrelevant because investments will make up for that.

At what age did you even start hearing conversations about investments in your groups. These guys earn this money from 22-26 years of age on average. It's the state of mind/maturity that's lacking.

Give a 40-60 year-old $1 million and he will know what to do with it. Give a 24 year-old that money and it's not the same thing. Yeah, you have exceptions who have parents that guide them with that or they do it themselves. On the other hand, you have the majority who's extended family is looking for a handout.

Give me 1 million a year and i could live off it for awhile, the bulk of the money Going to 1 house, the rest to a cheap hybrid car. Save the rest get a job and live the rest of my life happy. House paid, car paid, done. Rest is for food, clothes from walmart if need, hair cuts. lol and use coupons if i have them!

And you would leave your mom, dad, brothers, sisters, anyone else close to you out to dry? Most of these guys' families make them poor more than anything.

Also, I don't think players have any right to point to an owners other ventures and money earned using the team name or his own name. I can't believe the players want a cut of that stuff.

That's like the owner telling a player; "Well, Nike is paying you $40 million this year so we are going to take some of that or decrease your contract."
Originally posted by glorydayz:

Who are "THEY"?

Some players play for 20 years (Rice/Favre)! Do you really believe Peyton Manning will be broke a few years (4-10 years) after he retires?

"They" as in the players. Some players player 20 years so is the average career span of an NFL player 20 years? It's in the single digits. We only see and hear the 10+ year icons but never hear about the hundreds of guys who don't last past their first contract.

What about their Degrees?

Sorry, you are just not going to convince me that a person with a college degree combined with earning a few million dollars for a few years doesn't have the resources to be setup for life.

I am setup for life just with a similar degree that the average player has minus the 3 to 5 year earnings of NFL minimums

and don't forget these guys all had free rides to get their degrees as well

The biggest problem is that most players leave for the NFL before they get their degree. The majority of players leave as underclassmen so they can get paid. I personally think that if you accept a "free ride" you should be obligated to finish out your 4 years. This would help a lot with the players that washout quickly to give them something to fall back on.
Share 49ersWebzone