There are 253 users in the forums

Trade for Matt Flynn?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Trade for Matt Flynn?

• Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hofer36:
he only had 1 good game vs patriots--

and he has the same noodle arm just like shaun hill.
Look at this from GB's point of view. They are a good team, one that has the chance of going to the SB each year. If Rodgers gets injured, such as another concussion, just before the playoffs, don't they want a talented backup QB ready to come in? Why trade away Flynn unless they have someone else just as good ready to go. And who would that be?

Too many of you act as if you think GB operates stupidly, like our 49er organization has for so many years.
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:

That is true, but there are a few other things that make him attractive to other teams:

1) With the success of Rodgers, there are some who believe McCarthy and Clements are quite adept at molding a QB.

2) From people whose been around him, he is a smart, competitive QB who is a winner.

And one thing that makes him real attractive to the 49ers is he's been under the West Coast system the last 3 years so the transition to the 49ers' West Coast may not be as tough for him as let's say other FA QBs or trade-able QB or rookie QBs.

And he would be coming to a situation where Harbaugh, a supposedly QB Guru, would further mold him and make him better.

Flynn would also come cheaper than Kolb. I would say a third round pick might be enough to trade for Flynn and given that people are already talking about us using a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a rookie, why not use that on a QB who shows promise and can handle a pro playbook?
His value will depend on what Philly does with Kolb. It is well-reported that it will take a #1 to get Kolb out of Philly. If the Eagles don't trade him, that moves Kyle Orton and Flynn to the top of the list of available QBs. At that point the bidding begins and it will START with a 2nd round pick. In this QB desperate league, I would not be at all surprised if someone like Tennessee or Minnesota dropped a 1st round pick for him. Not saying that will happen but I would be SHOCKED if Flynn didn't bring a 2nd round pick at the least.

I just don't believe GB will let him go for less than a 2nd in any case. They are a loaded team that will be a Super Bowl contender as long as they have solid QB play. Hence, they will take no chances on not having a quality backup for AR.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by excelsior:
Look at this from GB's point of view. They are a good team, one that has the chance of going to the SB each year. If Rodgers gets injured, such as another concussion, just before the playoffs, don't they want a talented backup QB ready to come in? Why trade away Flynn unless they have someone else just as good ready to go. And who would that be?

Too many of you act as if you think GB operates stupidly, like our 49er organization has for so many years.

GB has been reported to be shopping him. Get your facts right. I don't want him, but at least I don't claim gb isn't looking to trade.
I think the Niners front office needs to get creative. Swap 2nd, third, and fourth round picks with GB for Flynn. GB gets higher draft selection and the niners still get all of their draft choices and a qb to work with.
Of Kolb, Palmer, Orton, McNabb and others he's probably the only FA QB I'd be the least bit interested. Kolb will just cost too much, and Orton doesn't fit a WC Offense.
Matt Flynn = The next Matt Hasselbeck. -Accurate, full of guts, and showed great poise & leadership last season when Rodgers was out (for being just a guy who knows he's the #2).

Not to mention Flynn already has three years of experience in McCarthy's WCO (one that uses the same type of execution/fundamentals that Harbaugh's will bare).
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
i agree with three of your options:

Yes, for the right price, but this is just agent hype.

No way the Packers trade him.

yeah actually GB has been reported to be fielding offers. My dad is a GB fanatic, and he mentioned this to me.

i'd be very surprised if they actually traded a back-up QB they have confidence in, given Rodgers injuries this season. Still, I guess if the offer was good enough they might make it. I think they'd be foolish to do so, though.

They would trade Flynn if a real juicy deal comes along i.e. 2nd round pick or multiple picks. Otherwise, Flynn will stay a Packer.

Agreed, the Packers have a history of letting QBs go when they are ready to start, sure they had the "Iron Man" under center for Hasselbeck and Brunell, but my family back in Wisconsin has heard the same chatter that Flynn can be had for a fairly reasonable price.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
I think the Niners front office needs to get creative. Swap 2nd, third, and fourth round picks with GB for Flynn. GB gets higher draft selection and the niners still get all of their draft choices and a qb to work with.

3 pick swaps for a 7th round draft pick with one career start that he played well in but his team ultimately lost??? You're getting a little too crazy with this. We could probably trade a 6th or 7th rounder straight across for him. We won't find a gem every year that late so I would rather use one single pick in a trade for Flynn then back load us 20+ picks 3 rounds in a row.

• tstej
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by 9erred:

3 pick swaps for a 7th round draft pick with one career start that he played well in but his team ultimately lost??? You're getting a little too crazy with this. We could probably trade a 6th or 7th rounder straight across for him. We won't find a gem every year that late so I would rather use one single pick in a trade for Flynn then back load us 20+ picks 3 rounds in a row.

You have look past the fact he was a seventh round pick. His rookie season he beat out a second round pick for the back up role and has never looked back. I'm a Packer fan and I actually like to see the Packers move Flynn because he only has one year left on his deal and after that he will likely look for a starting job. If the Packers are going to loose him they might as well get something out of it.

As for the only starting one game thing, he was hyped coming into the season by scouts as one of the best backup quarterbacks. I will say this in a game he came off the bench against the Lions I thought he struggled but against the Patriots and the preseason games where he knew he would play he was great. I think the Packers would want a second round pick for him and might take a third but I doubt they move him for less.

yeah actually GB has been reported to be fielding offers. My dad is a GB fanatic, and he mentioned this to me.

i'd be very surprised if they actually traded a back-up QB they have confidence in, given Rodgers injuries this season. Still, I guess if the offer was good enough they might make it. I think they'd be foolish to do so, though.

You never watched the 20 years of brett farve, cause all they did was create backup qb's and trade them off . So now insert another guy let him sit behind rodgers, and learn then keep doing this until rodgers leaves already have another qb ready to go. We should be doing this. Rather then cutting jeff garica we could have keeped him and started grooming his backup. Also why i want alex to stay, so we can draft a qb. tell him watch alex, ok you see that, don't do it like that this is how i want you to do it.

Besides i'd rather have this kid then kolb for a much better deal. Likely a 5th rounder max for him. kolb would take a first maybe two second round picks is just crazy. We could trade for this kid and save some picks and aquire some more talent in this draft by taking him!
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Feb 17, 2011 at 10:09 PM ]
Originally posted by Hopper:

and he has the same noodle arm just like shaun hill.

All kolb ever threw that didn't wobble was a bubble screen. Jeff garica was to small and not strong enough and he got the job done. I want a guy who says he's not good enough and finds a way to win. Rather just keep alex then i know he's got power in that arm
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

You never watched the 20 years of brett farve, cause all they did was create backup qb's and trade them off . So now insert another guy let him sit behind rodgers, and learn then keep doing this until rodgers leaves already have another qb ready to go. We should be doing this. Rather then cutting jeff garica we could have keeped him and started grooming his backup. Also why i want alex to stay, so we can draft a qb. tell him watch alex, ok you see that, don't do it like that this is how i want you to do it.

Besides i'd rather have this kid then kolb for a much better deal. Likely a 5th rounder max for him. kolb would take a first maybe two second round picks is just crazy. We could trade for this kid and save some picks and aquire some more talent in this draft by taking him!

i imagine it would take at least a 2nd to get Flynn, based on the situation in the NFL and going by the rumormill. Also, Ted Thompson wasn't the GM during most of those Favre years, so you can't go by the organizations history.
Originally posted by jones49:

Flynn has done better as a back up with less head injuries.
Share 49ersWebzone