LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 245 users in the forums

Trade for Matt Flynn?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Trade for Matt Flynn?

Don’t be surprised if Matt Flynn follows the path of Matt Hasselbeck, Aaron Brooks, Mark Brunell and Kurt Warner and leaves Green Bay to become a starting quarterback elsewhere. Teams in need of a quarterback are taking a good look at Flynn, who performed exceptionally well against the Patriots in New England in December.

The Packers believe the fourth-year QB is ready to start, but of course he’s not going to start in Green Bay. Flynn, who was a seventh round pick, has developed consistently under Mike McCarthy and Tom Clements. My people at Lambeau Field tell me Flynn is just a winner, whether he’s playing pickup pick-up basketball, cards or football. That figures, because he won a national championship at LSU.

The Packers might be able to get a second round pick in a trade for Flynn. They also probably will get a third rounder as a compensatory pick for losing Aaron Kampman in free agency. That would leave the Packers in great shape in April.

link
i agree with three of your options:

Yes, for the right price, but this is just agent hype.

No way the Packers trade him.
just like matt schaub and matt cassel before him, flynn will get traded, gb will move him for the right pick, they're good enough as an organization to find another back up for rodgers and still benefit a draft pick out of the deal.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

• Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by WestCoast:

yeah actually GB has been reported to be fielding offers. My dad is a GB fanatic, and he mentioned this to me.
They said in that article that they might be able to get a second round pick for him. I think that is a little too rich. If they would take a third I would pull the trigger on that.
Originally posted by Janitor:

yeah actually GB has been reported to be fielding offers. My dad is a GB fanatic, and he mentioned this to me.

i'd be very surprised if they actually traded a back-up QB they have confidence in, given Rodgers injuries this season. Still, I guess if the offer was good enough they might make it. I think they'd be foolish to do so, though.

i'd be very surprised if they actually traded a back-up QB they have confidence in, given Rodgers injuries this season. Still, I guess if the offer was good enough they might make it. I think they'd be foolish to do so, though.

Going this route seems to make sense if the price is right (which I doubt).

Matt Flynn Thread
  • Paul
  • Veteran
my hunch is he gets traded to the Titans, they seem to be the team most interested from what I'm reading.

Originally posted by redrathman:

Matt Flynn Thread

wth is that from?

They would trade Flynn if a real juicy deal comes along i.e. 2nd round pick or multiple picks. Otherwise, Flynn will stay a Packer.
he only had 1 good game vs patriots--
Originally posted by hofer36:
he only had 1 good game vs patriots--

That is true, but there are a few other things that make him attractive to other teams:

1) With the success of Rodgers, there are some who believe McCarthy and Clements are quite adept at molding a QB.

2) From people whose been around him, he is a smart, competitive QB who is a winner.

And one thing that makes him real attractive to the 49ers is he's been under the West Coast system the last 3 years so the transition to the 49ers' West Coast may not be as tough for him as let's say other FA QBs or trade-able QB or rookie QBs.

And he would be coming to a situation where Harbaugh, a supposedly QB Guru, would further mold him and make him better.

Flynn would also come cheaper than Kolb. I would say a third round pick might be enough to trade for Flynn and given that people are already talking about us using a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a rookie, why not use that on a QB who shows promise and can handle a pro playbook?
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Quote:
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/41560348/ns/sports-player_news/

The Packers reportedly believe he's ready to be a starter, but obviously he's not going to get that opportunity in Green Bay. Pompei thinks the Pack could fetch a second round pick for Flynn, but don't be surprised if they hold onto him for one more year after Aaron Rodgers suffered two concussions last season.

it could go either way for other teams.. trade a 2nd a la AJ Feely or end up with Matt Schaub.. worth it to me
[ Edited by Paul on Feb 16, 2011 at 2:41 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone