There are 172 users in the forums

My Ranking of Franchises, Titles won, Divisonal and above

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Lol @ how high the Rams are
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
The Vikings spot is puzzling to say the least.

Its puzzling because you are assuming that you have to win the superbowl. The Vikings have many seasons where they were a legit contender, this is a point of pride for your average fan.

Would you rather the Niners be in a current 8 year playoff drought or be 0-3 in the NFC Championship in the 2000's????

Also think about this, right now the Niners are 5-0 in the Super Bowl which is our biggest bragging point....BUT...once we lose one Super Bowl....from that point forward any Super Bowl loss would only help our prestige, not hurt.

The Vikings and the Bills are in their positions because of all their Championship appearances
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by danimal:
this is based on their tangible success since the 1966 season, basically the beginning of the Super Bowl era. With the Green Bay win I figured now was a good time to make a historical analysis. This is not strictly on the hardware taken home, obviously because Pittsburgh is not #1 in my eyes.

I may have gotten some of the Franchise transition to different cities or names wrong.

Dallas Cowboys
Pittsburgh Steelers
San Francisco 49ers
Oakland-Los Angeles Raiders
Minnesota Vikings
New England Patriots
Miami Dolphins
Green Bay Packers
St.Louis-Los Angeles Rams
Denver Broncos
Washington Redskins
New York Giants
Baltimore Ravens-Colts
Chicago Bears
Buffalo Bills
Philadelphia Eagles
Indianapolis Colts
Cleveland Browns
Kansas City Chiefs
New York Jets
Tennessee Titans-Houston Oilers
San Diego Chargers
Cincinnati Bengals
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Seattle Seahawks
New Orleans Saints
Atlanta Falcons
Arizona-St.Louis Cardinals
Carolina Panthers
Jacksonville Jaguars
Detroit Lions
Houston Texans

You did get 1 franchise wrong that moved. Baltimore Ravens were the Cleveland Browns - not the Colts.

OK.. here are a few of my thoughts:
1) Minnesota #5? How can they be that high when they have never won a title? 4 Superbowls and not 1 win.

2) Detroit should be dead last. The only franchise that has been in existence since the SB days that has not been in 1 SB. This has been a sorry franchise.

3) Green Bay #7? LOL You could make a point that they should be #1.

My top 10 (ok.. not just since 1966 but all time)
1) Green Bay Packers - 4 SBs wins and 6 appearances. PLUS - they were the dominant team in football before the SB era.

2) Pittsburgh Steelers - 6 SB wins. Dominant team in 2 different decades
3) Dallas Cowboys - barely ahead of Niners.
4) SF Niners - if you asked this question in 1995 I would have had them #1 or #2
5) New England - 6 SBs, 3 Wins, and 1 undefeated reg season.
6) Oak-LA Raiders - toss up with NE.
7) NY Giants - 3 SB wins
8) Washington Redskins - 3 SB wins - flip a coin with NY Giants for 7-8
9) Baltimore - Indy Colts - 2 SB wins but a powerhouse pre SB days
10) Denver - back to back SB's and 6 appearances gets them ahead of Miami

lots of good points here. Just to reiterate though, my rankings is for the Super Bowl era only, but as far as All Time is concerned your list looks pretty solid to me.

I am well aware that the Super Bowl 1 and 2 was actually the tail end of Lombardi's Packers dominance

[ Edited by danimal on Feb 10, 2011 at 10:49:34 ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
what are these rankings based on

The parameters are essentially as follows:

.5 for each .625 winning percentage season
1 for each divisional title
2 for each championship appearance
3 for each Super Bowl appearance
4 for each Super Bowl win

Its purely accumulative, and each team only earns the points for its best season end result. So if you win the SB you get 4 points that year.....not 10.5

This is the basic parameters I used but there is some more logic included

Its puzzling because you are assuming that you have to win the superbowl. The Vikings have many seasons where they were a legit contender, this is a point of pride for your average fan.

Would you rather the Niners be in a current 8 year playoff drought or be 0-3 in the NFC Championship in the 2000's????

Also think about this, right now the Niners are 5-0 in the Super Bowl which is our biggest bragging point....BUT...once we lose one Super Bowl....from that point forward any Super Bowl loss would only help our prestige, not hurt.

The Vikings and the Bills are in their positions because of all their Championship appearances

I'd take 5 Super Bowls over losing 4 straight or being 0-3 in NFC champ games in the 2000's. Any day. How can the Viking be ahead of the Packers too by that logic?

I'd take 5 Super Bowls over losing 4 straight or being 0-3 in NFC champ games in the 2000's. Any day. How can the Viking be ahead of the Packers too by that logic?

Quote:

I would take 5 Super Bowl wins over 4 losses too, which is exactly why the Niners are ranked above the Vikings.

And the Vikings have the most Divisional titles in that division

Its purely accumulative, and each team only earns the points for its best season end result. So if you win the SB you get 4 points that year.....not 10.5

makes sense. I just wasn't sure if stuff like revenue, stadium situation, and jersey sales and all that is part of this as well. this is just on the field performance based.
I encourage people to post their own. I bet your list won't be all that different than mine. Swapping a couple of teams a few spots mainly just validates my list as mine will validate yours.

The revision I think I am going to make is swapping the #1 spot from the Cowboys to the Steelers

Quote:

I would take 5 Super Bowl wins over 4 losses too, which is exactly why the Niners are ranked above the Vikings.

I see what youre saying but 5 seems high, especially since the Packers have more superbowls and just won one. And since the bears were in a super bowl recently and just were in an NFC champ game.

I think the Vikinggs franchise is alright but not 5 i guess.

makes sense. I just wasn't sure if stuff like revenue, stadium situation, and jersey sales and all that is part of this as well. this is just on the field performance based.

Oh yeah, none of that stuff factors in...let me edit my title, because I think that stuff you point out actually does belong in a Franchise ranking

this is based on their tangible success since the 1966 season, basically the beginning of the Super Bowl era. With the Green Bay win I figured now was a good time to make a historical analysis. This is not strictly on the hardware taken home, obviously because Pittsburgh is not #1 in my eyes.

I may have gotten some of the Franchise transition to different cities or names wrong.

Dallas Cowboys
Pittsburgh Steelers
San Francisco 49ers
Minnesota Vikings
New England Patriots
Miami Dolphins
Green Bay Packers
Denver Broncos
Washington Redskins
New York Giants
Baltimore Ravens-Colts
Chicago Bears
Buffalo Bills
Philadelphia Eagles
Indianapolis Colts
Cleveland Browns
Kansas City Chiefs
New York Jets
San Diego Chargers
Cincinnati Bengals
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Seattle Seahawks
New Orleans Saints
Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
Jacksonville Jaguars
Detroit Lions
Houston Texans

You did get 1 franchise wrong that moved. Baltimore Ravens were the Cleveland Browns - not the Colts.

1) Minnesota #5? How can they be that high when they have never won a title? 4 Superbowls and not 1 win.

2) Detroit should be dead last. The only franchise that has been in existence since the SB days that has not been in 1 SB. This has been a sorry franchise.

1) Green Bay Packers - 4 SBs wins and 6 appearances. PLUS - they were the dominant team in football before the SB era.

4) SF Niners - if you asked this question in 1995 I would have had them #1 or #2
7) NY Giants - 3 SB wins

lots of good points here. Just to reiterate though, my rankings is for the Super Bowl era only, but as far as All Time is concerned your list looks pretty solid to me.

I am well aware that the Super Bowl 1 and 2 was actually the tail end of Lombardi's Packers dominance

Even if the list was just from 1966 there would be little I would change from my top 10. I would drop GB to #4 and move Pitt, Dallas, and SF up 1 spot. Everything else would stay the same.

Minnesota is the most glaring overrated franchise on your list. They simply should not be a top 10 franchise and certainly not #5. I'd say the Rams at #9 is also a stretch. Yes they had a nice stretch with Warner and Marshall but this team has only won 1 title and has had some bad years. Not enough for top 10.

Quote:

I see what youre saying but 5 seems high, especially since the Packers have more superbowls and just won one. And since the bears were in a super bowl recently and just were in an NFC champ game.

I hear ya...look at this run though....

1967 Green Bay Packers 9-4-1 Won Super Bowl II
1968 Minnesota Vikings 8-6-0 Lost NFL Divisional Playoffs
1969 Minnesota Vikings 12-2-0 Lost Super Bowl IV
NFC Central
1970 Minnesota Vikings 12-2-0 Lost NFC Divisional Playoffs
1971 Minnesota Vikings 11-3-0 Lost NFC Divisional Playoffs
1972 Green Bay Packers 10-4-0 Lost NFC Divisional Playoffs
1973 Minnesota Vikings 12-2-0 Lost Super Bowl VIII
1974 Minnesota Vikings 10-4-0 Lost Super Bowl IX
1975 Minnesota Vikings 12-2-0 Lost NFC Divisional Playoffs
1976 Minnesota Vikings 11-2-1 Lost Super Bowl XI
1977 Minnesota Vikings 9-5-0 Lost NFC Championship Game
1978 Minnesota Vikings 8-7-1 Lost NFC Divisional Playoffs
1979 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10-6-0 Lost NFC Championship Game
1980 Minnesota Vikings 9-7-0 Lost NFC Divisional Playoffs

it is in this run where the Vikings were far more successful than the Packers because they are in the same division.

Look at it this way, who has hurt the Niners more in this past decade? The Patriots, Steelers, Colts and Eagles OR....the Seahawks, Rams and Cardinals.

My answer is the latter, because I would rather have won some divisional titles. So while the Steelers and the Patriots dominated the decade, from a Niner perspective their success did not hurt our franchise nearly as much as the Rams, Seahawks and Cardinals success did.

Also keep in mind, the Packers really get hurt in this list because it starts with the 1966 season. Had I just included all of the 60's...the Packers would probably be #1

Dallas Cowboys
Pittsburgh Steelers
San Francisco 49ers
Minnesota Vikings
New England Patriots
Miami Dolphins
Green Bay Packers
Denver Broncos
Washington Redskins
New York Giants
Baltimore Ravens-Colts
Chicago Bears
Buffalo Bills
Philadelphia Eagles
Indianapolis Colts
Cleveland Browns
Kansas City Chiefs
New York Jets
San Diego Chargers
Cincinnati Bengals
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Seattle Seahawks
New Orleans Saints
Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
Jacksonville Jaguars
Detroit Lions
Houston Texans

7) NY Giants - 3 SB wins

Even if the list was just from 1966 there would be little I would change from my top 10. I would drop GB to #4 and move Pitt, Dallas, and SF up 1 spot. Everything else would stay the same.

Minnesota is the most glaring overrated franchise on your list. They simply should not be a top 10 franchise and certainly not #5. I'd say the Rams at #9 is also a stretch. Yes they had a nice stretch with Warner and Marshall but this team has only won 1 title and has had some bad years. Not enough for top 10.

What do you think I should do with Divisional titles?

If you see my convo with Sjceruti, you will see it is the Divisional titles that can me misleading here.

While the Vikings were earning 1 point a season the Packers were earning none.
While the Rams were earning 1 point a season the Niners were earning none.

If I removed divisonal title earnings than the list would look like something people are expecting, but is it really fair or right to not give some prestige points when a Franchise wins their division??

fyi, divison owned by the Rams in the 70's
1973 Los Angeles Rams 12-2-0 Lost NFC Divisional Playoffs
1974 Los Angeles Rams 10-4-0 Lost NFC Championship Game
1975 Los Angeles Rams 12-2-0 Lost NFC Championship Game
1976 Los Angeles Rams 10-3-1 Lost NFC Championship Game
1977 Los Angeles Rams 10-4-0 Lost NFC Divisional Playoffs
1978 Los Angeles Rams 12-4-0 Lost NFC Championship Game
1979 Los Angeles Rams 9-7-0 Lost Super Bowl XIV

[ Edited by danimal on Feb 10, 2011 at 11:18:28 ]

Quote:

I hear ya...look at this run though....

1967 Green Bay Packers 9-4-1 Won Super Bowl II
1968 Minnesota Vikings 8-6-0 Lost NFL Divisional Playoffs
1969 Minnesota Vikings 12-2-0 Lost Super Bowl IV
NFC Central
1970 Minnesota Vikings 12-2-0 Lost NFC Divisional Playoffs
1971 Minnesota Vikings 11-3-0 Lost NFC Divisional Playoffs
1972 Green Bay Packers 10-4-0 Lost NFC Divisional Playoffs
1973 Minnesota Vikings 12-2-0 Lost Super Bowl VIII
1974 Minnesota Vikings 10-4-0 Lost Super Bowl IX
1975 Minnesota Vikings 12-2-0 Lost NFC Divisional Playoffs
1976 Minnesota Vikings 11-2-1 Lost Super Bowl XI
1977 Minnesota Vikings 9-5-0 Lost NFC Championship Game
1978 Minnesota Vikings 8-7-1 Lost NFC Divisional Playoffs
1979 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10-6-0 Lost NFC Championship Game
1980 Minnesota Vikings 9-7-0 Lost NFC Divisional Playoffs

it is in this run where the Vikings were far more successful than the Packers because they are in the same division.

Look at it this way, who has hurt the Niners more in this past decade? The Patriots, Steelers, Colts and Eagles OR....the Seahawks, Rams and Cardinals.

My answer is the latter, because I would rather have won some divisional titles. So while the Steelers and the Patriots dominated the decade, from a Niner perspective their success did not hurt our franchise nearly as much as the Rams, Seahawks and Cardinals success did.

Also keep in mind, the Packers really get hurt in this list because it starts with the 1966 season. Had I just included all of the 60's...the Packers would probably be #1

True but ultimately for me it comes down to championships then other successes.
My list would be:
1. Steelers
2. Cowboys
3. 49ers
4. Packers
5. Patriots
6. Raiders
7. Giants
8. Broncos
9. Redskins
10. Rams

roughly...this would include championships, winning, and prestige.

Dallas Cowboys
Pittsburgh Steelers
San Francisco 49ers
Minnesota Vikings
New England Patriots
Miami Dolphins
Green Bay Packers
Denver Broncos
Washington Redskins
New York Giants
Baltimore Ravens-Colts
Chicago Bears
Buffalo Bills
Philadelphia Eagles
Indianapolis Colts
Cleveland Browns
Kansas City Chiefs
New York Jets
San Diego Chargers
Cincinnati Bengals
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Seattle Seahawks
New Orleans Saints
Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
Jacksonville Jaguars
Detroit Lions
Houston Texans

7) NY Giants - 3 SB wins

What do you think I should do with Divisional titles?

If you see my convo with Sjceruti, you will see it is the Divisional titles that can me misleading here.

While the Vikings were earning 1 point a season the Packers were earning none.
While the Rams were earning 1 point a season the Niners were earning none.

If I removed divisonal title earnings than the list would look like something people are expecting, but is it really fair or right to not give some prestige points when a Franchise wins their division??

I guess you really need to ask yourself... is the Minnesota Vikings franchise REALLY better than the Packers? 4 Superbowl Wins to None. Superbowl wins in 3 different eras. The Vikings havent been to a SB in 35 years or more.

In my opinion you are weighing a division title much too highly and not weighing a world title highly enough.
Share 49ersWebzone