LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

What did Houston see in Carr when they picked him #1

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TX9R:
He was the consensus number one QB that year and it wasn't close. Like Alex he was asked to do too much too soon with no help. But he took the worst beating ever those first few years and just got gun shy. His problem is mental and will never change because of all the sacks. Like any other prospect I think he could have been good if he sat the first year or two instead of being asked to be the franchise with no help.

his rookie year alone he was sacked 70-something times. The Texans really counted on Tony Boselli being healthy but it just wasn't going to happen. Carr's had an okay career, I still remember watching the Texans first game ever vs Dallas & how crazy that crowd was.
I don't know enough about Carr to determine if he is done or not. But consider this:

I lived in New England and saw all of Jim Plunkett's early career with the Patriots. He was spectacular at ttimes, throwing to Randy Vataha, Bob Windsor and the like. But he was absolutlely pounded behind a really poor offensive line. All the sacks made him awkward mechanically and beat down his self-confidence. Eventually, NE decided to go with Steve Grogan at QB and shipped Plunkett to the Niners, where he showed nothing in his one year with the club. It certainly looked very much like Plunkett's career was over.

But Al Davis brought him to Oakland, and gave him a year or two to heal and get his confidence restored. When Plunkett was eventually called upon to start, he won 2 Super Bowls. All the while, you could decribe his throwing motion as slow and his footwork as heavy-legged. But he made good decisions with the football and was extremely accurate, especially with the long ball.

Bottom Line. Maybe it is over for Carr. Maybe not. Plunkett has been down this road before and found daylight at the other end. Just food for thought.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:

Summary: Has a chance to become a premier NFL quarterback if his release point does not lead to too many problems and he is brought along and utilized correctly. Could be the type of player you can build a team around if he is developed correctly.

He wasn't and he has never recovered from that.

Oh but that's all just a bunch of stupid excuses. Remember? ALL Qbs must come in and play like Montana, Rodgers, Young, Brady, Manning...oh wait...
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimbagg:
I don't know enough about Carr to determine if he is done or not. But consider this:

I lived in New England and saw all of Jim Plunkett's early career with the Patriots. He was spectacular at ttimes, throwing to Randy Vataha, Bob Windsor and the like. But he was absolutlely pounded behind a really poor offensive line. All the sacks made him awkward mechanically and beat down his self-confidence. Eventually, NE decided to go with Steve Grogan at QB and shipped Plunkett to the Niners, where he showed nothing in his one year with the club. It certainly looked very much like Plunkett's career was over.

But Al Davis brought him to Oakland, and gave him a year or two to heal and get his confidence restored. When Plunkett was eventually called upon to start, he won 2 Super Bowls. All the while, you could decribe his throwing motion as slow and his footwork as heavy-legged. But he made good decisions with the football and was extremely accurate, especially with the long ball.

Bottom Line. Maybe it is over for Carr. Maybe not. Plunkett has been down this road before and found daylight at the other end. Just food for thought.

Great post.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Summary: Has a chance to become a premier NFL quarterback if his release point does not lead to too many problems and he is brought along and utilized correctly. Could be the type of player you can build a team around if he is developed correctly.

Oh but that's all just a bunch of stupid excuses. Remember? ALL Qbs must come in and play like Montana, Rodgers, Young, Brady, Manning...oh wait...

I am going to get hella s**t for this post, but it's not like Rodgers and Montana came in and played great and weren't developed. Both of them sat their first 2-3 years in the league for the most part. Joe was a part time player atleast and Aaron was behind Favre until his 4th year I believe. The only one of those guys who even played a lot his rookie year was Peyton...
  • dj43
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

I am going to get hella s**t for this post, but it's not like Rodgers and Montana came in and played great and weren't developed. Both of them sat their first 2-3 years in the league for the most part. Joe was a part time player atleast and Aaron was behind Favre until his 4th year I believe. The only one of those guys who even played a lot his rookie year was Peyton...
Nothing bad coming from that...it is accurate. Joe did not begin to show anything special for quite a while and we all know about Rodgers. Peyton was clearly a unique player from the beginning but even for him, Indy brought in highly regarded Tom Moore to personally tutor him. Peyton has been effusive in his praise of Moore and the situation Indy put him in his rookie season.

Back to Carr; he was everyone's favorite QB coming out of a very good career at Fresno State. It is good fodder for the mill to consider what he might have been had he been in a situation similar to what Rodgers enjoyed in Green Bay. Sadly he got hammered like no one else in his time in Houston.
Originally posted by TX9R:
He was the consensus number one QB that year and it wasn't close. Like Alex he was asked to do too much too soon with no help. But he took the worst beating ever those first few years and just got gun shy. His problem is mental and will never change because of all the sacks. Like any other prospect I think he could have been good if he sat the first year or two instead of being asked to be the franchise with no help.

Same thing happened to Jim Plunket and he turned it around.
He was said to have a big arm and good accuracy. But he holds the ball too long.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He was said to have a big arm and good accuracy. But he holds the ball too long.

He's just waiting for the other team to sack him. He's gotten used to it over his career.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by niner4life21:

He's just waiting for the other team to sack him. He's gotten used to it over his career.

He hasn't mastered rolling out to the right and throwing it out of bounds.

Originally posted by susweel:

I recall Aaron Rodgers getting the snot beat out of him and sack the most for a year or year and a half also, but hasn't need all these excuses...
I really hope JH pulls in a different QB before the season starts. And I hope they get this CBA shix done.
Originally posted by jeepzilla:

I recall Aaron Rodgers getting the snot beat out of him and sack the most for a year or year and a half also, but hasn't need all these excuses...
I really hope JH pulls in a different QB before the season starts. And I hope they get this CBA shix done.

Aaron was sacked about 80 times in his first two years starting(4th and 5th season). Carr was sacked 70+ times in his first rookie season. Big difference.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Carr was a very good QB out of Fresno! Heis years were wasted in Houston.

• Paul
  • Veteran
Originally posted by titan:
Carr was a very good QB out of Fresno! Heis years were wasted in Houston.

he put out Timmy Chang numbers! I do remember reading that if the Texans decided to go with a 4-3 (which of course they didn't end up doing under our current d-coordinator) they would have taken Julius Peppers number one. I wonder how that would have turned out.
Share 49ersWebzone