There are 243 users in the forums

Mike Munchak is Titans head coach

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
How many position coaches with no head coaching experience have succeeded in the NFL as head coaches?

Mike Singletary...oh wait
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Andy Reid
John Harbaugh
Jim Caldwell (if you consider him the coach )
Tony Sparano (if you want to call him successful)
Herm Edwards (if you want to call him successful)

John Harbaugh was a special teams coach which a coordinator position, he only switched because special teams coaches weren't viewed as potential head coaches.

Jim Caldwell was head coach of Wake Forest from 96-00.

Tony Sparano was an offensive coordinator at Boston University from 89-93 and head coach of New Haven from 94-98.

So only one's are Reid and Edwards and Edwards has a .422 winning percentage as a HC, so only Reid has made the transition successful.

Wow...I would hardly consider being an OC for BU and HC and New Haven good experience for an NFL head coaching job...
Mike Sherman coached TE's and OL mostly then one year as OC for the Seahawks before the Packers hired him as head coach. I think he was pretty underrated. Five winning seasons, three division titles. His playoff record was his downfall.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Andy Reid
John Harbaugh
Jim Caldwell (if you consider him the coach )
Tony Sparano (if you want to call him successful)
Herm Edwards (if you want to call him successful)

John Harbaugh was a special teams coach which a coordinator position, he only switched because special teams coaches weren't viewed as potential head coaches.

Jim Caldwell was head coach of Wake Forest from 96-00.

Tony Sparano was an offensive coordinator at Boston University from 89-93 and head coach of New Haven from 94-98.

So only one's are Reid and Edwards and Edwards has a .422 winning percentage as a HC, so only Reid has made the transition successful.

Wow...I would hardly consider being an OC for BU and HC and New Haven good experience for an NFL head coaching job...

Learning how to call plays and lead an entire team is good experience, but i was making the point that he was not only a position coach for his entire career before becoming an NFL head coach.
I have no problem with this hire. Titans fans will whine and moan about it and all the others will laugh and poke fun but Munchak has a long track record coaching in the NFL. He was an established player, and has gotten fantastic performance out of his players. He's made some decent moves to bring some folks he knows and trusts onto his staff ala Harbaugh....former teammates and guys he's coached with like Bruce Matthews and Jerry Gray.

The best thing is that he's not trying to stay within his comfort zone by keeping some of the same old, he's getting his people in there, putting together his own staff rather than retaining people just for the heck of it. He could have gone with Dave McGinnis as DC like was expected, but instead he brings in Jerry Gray who has a solid NFL coaching record. Gray did a good job in the past and was an awesome pickup by Munchak.

Bruce Matthews is a living legend, he was an amazing offensive lineman for years and he has prior NFL coaching experience with the Texans. This would be the equivalent of the 49ers hiring Jerry Rice to coach WR's after he's already had 3 years of seasoning with another team. I'm think that Matthews will do well with the Titans OL, with Munchak's input I'm sure. These guys had chemistry when they were playing together and that shouldn't change now.

Now reportedly they are looking at Mike Tice as an OC, an experienced guy who had worked for several teams and has head coaching experience in the league. Not sure how his playcalling is but he's been around the block and has tremendous experience to mesh with the other coaches on staff.

Ray Sherman may also be joining the staff, as well as many others.

In short Munchak is doing what Singletary OUGHT to have done. He's going out and finding smart, experienced people that he's comfortable with, bringing in some fresher younger coaches as assistants and setting up a staff that will complement his weaknesses and produce a better overall team. Not sure if he'll succeed but so far, it looks pretty good.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 13, 2011 at 16:24:59 ]
Share 49ersWebzone