LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 141 users in the forums

Union, agents considering boycott of combine, draft activities

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
DALLAS -- Top union officials and player agents are discussing the possibility of withholding players from the NFL Scouting Combine and 2011 NFL Draft activities, sources said Friday, with the league's collective bargaining agreement expiring March 3.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e1f3d7/article/union-player-agents-considering-boycott-of-combine-draft

The s**t is getting heavy Yo !!

This is not fair to the rookies coming in to the NFL. It reduces their earning power by not being able to showcase their abilities, also ruins the draft experience that is only a once in a lifetime deal..

Not a good move by the union by using these kids as leverage.

[ Edited by susweel on Feb 4, 2011 at 12:00:10 ]
Check this in as the 1st official negotiating ploy to force a deal before march 4th. i can see upstaging the draft, but in no way would a agent tell one of his clients not to show up for the combine. That's loosing money for the player and the agent. I see 0 chance of that one. The guys in the combine aren't even part of the union.
I'm going to side with the owners if the players ruin the combine & draft for me.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Check this in as the 1st official negotiating ploy to force a deal before march 4th. i can see upstaging the draft, but in no way would a agent tell one of his clients not to show up for the combine. That's loosing money for the player and the agent. I see 0 chance of that one. The guys in the combine aren't even part of the union.

this. i think this is just a ploy. kind of a dumb one, too.
This would be lame. These kids haven't been drafted, they're not on an NFL team, therefore they're not members of the Union. NFL teams won't carry grudges against the NFLPA . . . they're doing their job. Player agents picking sides is another thing altogether. I doubt it happens.
the current players need to take action, not the future players.

dumb asses
Just plain silly. Players run the risk of being the heavies.I'll be very surprised if this idea doesn't die a quick death.
This was probably leaked out because the union and NFL are set to sit down face to face tomorrow.

But I'm sure the NFL will see how stupid this suggestion is and treats it as a bluff by the union.

[ Edited by global_nomad on Feb 4, 2011 at 19:18:29 ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Man, this CBA crap is really ruining the NFL. Every time I've read articles about the CBA, it pisses me off and at the same time makes me sad.
Too much posturing going on. The lockout is owner initiated so I put most of this on them, however the NFLPA has to realize they aren't going to get the same deal they had before. They may as well sit down together and have both sides determine what it is that they want. And also, at the end of the day, owners will always hold the ultimate advantage over players.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Too much posturing going on. The lockout is owner initiated so I put most of this on them, however the NFLPA has to realize they aren't going to get the same deal they had before. They may as well sit down together and have both sides determine what it is that they want. And also, at the end of the day, owners will always hold the ultimate advantage over players.

Yup the owners have all the facilities in place and the league is lasting brand. Players come and go and are easily replaceable, and the players earning time is limited so yes the owners do own all the cards.
Share 49ersWebzone