LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

??What was the knock on T.O ??

Shop 49ers game tickets
You know, when T.O. left the Niners, it was on bad terms. he whined and cried, threw people under the bus, and the biggest no-no of all, suggested that Bill Walsh didnt know what he was talking about when he stated that "Owens needs to work on his hands. he drops too many passes".

He was sent packing to BAL, but he threw a huge fit, and we had to nix the deal and get even less for him from Philly. Brandon Whiting and a 5th rounder i think? anyways, the whole divorce was ugly.

However, if you look back at his career, the 49ers are the team he did most of his HOF damage with. by far the most rec., rec. yards, TD's, 4 of his 6 pro bowls, etc with us. If they had to pick one team to represent him in the HOF someday, it would be the 49ers easily (even though they dont do that in Canton).

Hes kind of been the forgotten Niner. mainly remembered for being a jerk and a showboat, when he put up a HOF career with us, and making one of the most memorable catches in 49er history in the 1998 WC round against GB.

I was bitter at him for leaving and being the way he was, but now i think its time to let it go. hes a 49ers HOF WR, and someday maybe we retire number 81. (it sounds weird, but we retired Dwight Clark's 87, and Owens has a far better Niner career than Clark)

on a side note, i miss Joe Starkey...

[ Edited by Niners99 on Feb 7, 2011 at 01:53:26 ]
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Watching this guys' career and his antics ...

I really think some Balco stuff was involved.

It would explain alot.

His 40 wasn't great when he entered, which is weird because after a few years he was consistently one of the fastest WRs in the NFL (never lost a fastest man/100m dash competition). His work ethic really made him into a beast while in SF.
Originally posted by Niners99:
You know, when T.O. left the Niners, it was on bad terms. he whined and cried, threw people under the bus, and the biggest no-no of all, suggested that Bill Walsh didnt know what he was talking about when he stated that "Owens needs to work on his hands. he drops too many passes".

He was sent packing to BAL, but he threw a huge fit, and we had to nix the deal and get even less for him from Philly. Brandon Whiting and a 5th rounder i think? anyways, the whole divorce was ugly.

However, if you look back at his career, the 49ers are the team he did most of his HOF damage with. by far the most rec., rec. yards, TD's, 4 of his 6 pro bowls, etc with us. If they had to pick one team to represent him in the HOF someday, it would be the 49ers easily (even though they dont do that in Canton).

Hes kind of been the forgotten Niner. mainly remembered for being a jerk and a showboat, when he put up a HOF career with us, and making one of the most memorable catches in 49er history in the 1998 WC round against GB.

I was bitter at him for leaving and being the way he was, but now i think its time to let it go. hes a 49ers HOF WR, and someday maybe we retire number 81. (it sounds weird, but we retired Dwight Clark's 87, and Owens has a far better Niner career than Clark)

I miss that clutch time, I miss that excitement, I miss seeing young run around in joy.
Must have been some head issues.....character issues....respect for authority issues....alot of psych problems maybe.....either way that was the last draft "steal" we made.
Jerry Rice work ethic rubbed off on him, and made him much better
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

he was pissed because he was going to be a free agent and his agent didn't file papers in time so he was property of the 9ers that allowed them to look for a trade
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:

he was pissed because he was going to be a free agent and his agent didn't file papers in time so he was property of the 9ers that allowed them to look for a trade

the bad attitude happened before that. he wanted out long before his agent forgot to file the papers. that just made things worse.
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
Originally posted by 94605NiNer:
Coming out of college what was the knock on T.O. We got him in the 3rd round a steal if u ask me. the guy now has over 150 career Td's .

I think a HOF in the 3rd round is a steal in everyone's opinion

A Hall Of Famer in any round is a steal. Yes, that includes the 1st round and even the #1 overall pick.
the questions are flying out today

Share 49ersWebzone