LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Who is the NFL's Best Coach?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
If its this year, I'd have to say Mike McCarthy. Taking a #6 seed to the Super Bowl gets my vote.

Agree. If McCarthy is not named COY it will be a robbery. They have like 16 players on IR this year. McCarthy kept plugging in different guys and adjusting things to get them to where they are now.

Still, the best coach in the league, and it isn't close is Bad Bill from Beantown. He turns over that team every season it seems and still wins. He is the best. He is an example of how a defensive coach can help and allow an offense to work very well. Nolan/Singletary could learn a lot from studying BB.

I think he gets a little to much credit. He's had one of the greatest QBs of all time and some top notch defenders. For all that retooling, his defenses have gotten worse as the stalwarts have retired or been moved, and his decision making has gotten more questionable. He is a defensive guru, but I think he gets more credit than he should because he had some great players to execute those schemes. His defenses have gotten carved up in recent years, but Brady overcomes that for him.
JIM HARBAUGH
Right now? Tomlin
Originally posted by modninerfan:
BB

It is.

And Tomlin had that team given to him with great owners. Come on. He is a good coach, but best. Big reach.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I think my order would be

Belicheck
Tomlin
Reid
McCarthy
Rex Ryan
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Tomlin inherited a good team and IMO made them even better, of course he's not the best coach of all time but (imo) he's going to win his second Super Bowl & has had to overcome injuries and pr drama with Big Ben this year. Belicheck is great and all, but I think the Pats window is coming to a close (every other year their defense sucks)
Harbaugh will be soon. But it's the other parts around him that worry me.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Belichick by a wide margin.

With turnover at the OC and DC positions multiple times, he still maintains stellar offensive and defensive systems. Both systems allows mediocre players to be plugged into positions and they immediately see success (# of RBs, Banta-Cain, Warren, etc).

He knows how to trade star players for excellent value. Randy Moss and Richard Seymour are recent examples.

In basically one off-season, he has dramatically improved the secondary as McCourty and Chung had solid years.
Belichick is by far the best coach in the NFL IMO. I also think John Harbaugh, Mike Smith and Jeff Fisher get the best out of their players.
Originally posted by Paul:
Tomlin inherited a good team and IMO made them even better, of course he's not the best coach of all time but (imo) he's going to win his second Super Bowl & has had to overcome injuries and pr drama with Big Ben this year. Belicheck is great and all, but I think the Pats window is coming to a close (every other year their defense sucks)

Inheriting a good team does not automatically mean the team will continue winning. The Packers after Lombardi retired, the Giants after Parcells retired, the Redskins after Joe Gibbs retired the first time, etc. Often times people are handed the keys to the car and crash it. But I will agree that he isn't the best yet. Four years just isn't enough.

I'd go with Belichek. He hasn't won a playoff game in awhile, but he has kept that team near the top since the beginning of his tenure. After that, Andy Reid. Much like Tomlin, McCarthy has to put in some more time of consistent winning.

• Hopper
  • Veteran
Tomlin
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
Its Belichick by a mile. he runs the show in NE. hes the mastermind behind their success. Brady has helped him alot, but he makes it all happen like Walsh made it happen with Montana.
h.

If the question was who is the NFL's best offensive coach I would agree with you its Belichick. But the Pats defense has never been the same since Romeo Crennel left. Which is a big reason they haven't returned to the SB since 2004.

Tomlin has the Steelers much more balanced between offense and defense than Belichick does with the Pats right now.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Paul:

Inheriting a good team does not automatically mean the team will continue winning. The Packers after Lombardi retired, the Giants after Parcells retired, the Redskins after Joe Gibbs retired the first time, etc. Often times people are handed the keys to the car and crash it. But I will agree that he isn't the best yet. Four years just isn't enough.

I'd go with Belichek. He hasn't won a playoff game in awhile, but he has kept that team near the top since the beginning of his tenure. After that, Andy Reid. Much like Tomlin, McCarthy has to put in some more time of consistent winning.

Couldn't agree more. That's a horrible argument attempted to discredit Tomlin.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Its Belichick by a mile. he runs the show in NE. hes the mastermind behind their success. Brady has helped him alot, but he makes it all happen like Walsh made it happen with Montana.
h.

If the question was who is the NFL's best offensive coach I would agree with you its Belichick. But the Pats defense has never been the same since Romeo Crennel left. Which is a big reason they haven't returned to the SB since 2004.

Tomlin has the Steelers much more balanced between offense and defense than Belichick does with the Pats right now.

Um, Bill Belichick was a David Tyree catch away from being the only coach to go 19-0. And he didn't have a stellar d that year. Btw that was in 07-08, not 2004.

And that doesn't change the fact that Belichick carries that team to success. Tomlin could be replaced, and as long as their front office structure and dick lebeau remained, they'd be just fine. Take away Belichick from NE and they're going down the toilet quickly.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:
h.

Um, Bill Belichick was a David Tyree catch away from being the only coach to go 19-0. And he didn't have a stellar d that year. Btw that was in 07-08, not 2004.

And that doesn't change the fact that Belichick carries that team to success. Tomlin could be replaced, and as long as their front office structure and dick lebeau remained, they'd be just fine. Take away Belichick from NE and they're going down the toilet quickly.

sorry, that game slipped my mind. But still doesn't change the fact that his defense isn't anything special and definitely not good enough to win another SB.
Share 49ersWebzone