There are 71 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

32 worst first round draft picks in NFL history

Originally posted by j3xperience:
Oh look no Alex Smith.

to the Smith haters,


SHUT THE F*CK UP.



This is bleacher report we are talking about. They are as much of a joke as Alex is.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Originally posted by j3xperience:
Oh look no Alex Smith.

to the Smith haters,


SHUT THE F*CK UP.

So, you're saying that all these years of him as our starter, never once reached the playoffs nor won our division, injuries, excuses, etc. is a SUCCESS? Heck, he's not even coming back to SF.

Why do you enlighten us all and prove how he accomplished and filled the role and expectations of #1 overall draft pick. Otherwise, you STFU instead!

Edit: Alex Smith should be at #33 on that list.

You not familiar with, to name but one, Brian Bosworth?

The Alex Smith dig is simply factually incorrect. By a mile or more.
Originally posted by j3xperience:
Oh look no Alex Smith.

to the Smith haters,


SHUT THE F*CK UP.

so out of over a thousand candidates, Alex does not end up being in the worst 32. Yeah, the Haters got owned on this one

Secondly, this is clearly from a perspective of those who failed by many peoples standards and thus never earned a chance. Ask a typical Niner fan who caused him more grief....Alex or Woods???

Smart people would have cut Alex years ago, thus he might have made this list. Smart people have not been in positions of power within the Niners in over a decade though.
[ Edited by danimal on Jan 20, 2011 at 2:11 PM ]
  • Envy
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,382
Originally posted by Chief:
Lawrence Phillips, RB, St. Louis Rams

Draft: Sixth Pick in 1996

What Happened: Phillips couldn't control his temper. Phillips was arrested for assaulting his girlfriend in college. Despite this, the Rams traded Jerome Bettis to the Pittsburgh Steelers before drafting Phillips.

The Rams cut him after he got into a dispute with head coach Dick Vermeil. He continued to have trouble related to his temper off the field and the Rams cut him in 1997. He played for a few more teams, but had trouble wherever he went.

He became famous for missing a block in 1999 while playing for the San Francisco 49ers, allowing Aeneas Williams to hit Steve Young, knocking him out, and giving him the concussion that effectively ended Young's career

In December of 2009, Phillips was sentenced to more than 31 years in prison for attacking his girlfriend and driving his car into three teens.



Why the hell did we sign him?
Originally posted by Envy:
Originally posted by Chief:
Lawrence Phillips, RB, St. Louis Rams

Draft: Sixth Pick in 1996

What Happened: Phillips couldn't control his temper. Phillips was arrested for assaulting his girlfriend in college. Despite this, the Rams traded Jerome Bettis to the Pittsburgh Steelers before drafting Phillips.

The Rams cut him after he got into a dispute with head coach Dick Vermeil. He continued to have trouble related to his temper off the field and the Rams cut him in 1997. He played for a few more teams, but had trouble wherever he went.

He became famous for missing a block in 1999 while playing for the San Francisco 49ers, allowing Aeneas Williams to hit Steve Young, knocking him out, and giving him the concussion that effectively ended Young's career

In December of 2009, Phillips was sentenced to more than 31 years in prison for attacking his girlfriend and driving his car into three teens.



Why the hell did we sign him?

at the time it seemed like it was one of those perfect low risk high reward pickups that only Contenders can ever make work right.

I won't lie, I liked the pickup when it happened.

And I know it is fun and everything to blame him, but last I checked...a single concussion did not end Youngs career. But ultimately it is all too ironic to not remember that way because Lawrence is just a bag of bad karma walking around.
Alex Smith will never, ON ANY PLANET, be on a list of the biggest busts of all time. Let me rephrase that... an exhaustive and logical list over the past 30 years or more.

The dude has been on an NFL roster for six years. He will be THE MOST highly coveted QB on the free agent market this offseason. That is a fact.

I'm sorry, you don't outplay Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, Jim Drunkenmiller (and that's just the QBs) and still get placed on a list with them. Those dudes couldn't even stay in the league for a few years. Alex Smith will be in this league as long as he wants to play. Even if it is just as a backup, he is LIGHT YEARS better than the QBs on this list. Light years.

It's time to stop feeling butthurt that he didn't bring you a ring and start seeing the facts. Alex Smith: Not starting material, but a high quality backup with a tremendous amount of starting experience.

There are far worse "busts" than Alex Smith.
  • crzy
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 39,280
Alex Smith should be #1 on that list

Primarily because of the number of years that we wasted on him.

At least other teams were quick enough to relize how much thier first round picks sucked, while we kept making excuses for Alex Smith.
Originally posted by crzy:
Alex Smith should be #1 on that list

Primarily because of the number of years that we wasted on him.

At least other teams were quick enough to relize how much thier first round picks sucked, while we kept making excuses for Alex Smith.

That's the 49ers fault not Alex Smith's. And it is sad to say but Alex Smith will be signed in free agency and could get a starting gig on another team.
No David Carr, Joey Harrington, or Alex Smith.

How do you put Don Rodgers on that list? The man DIED. Did he make bad choices? Yes. That doesn't make him a bust. Dude won DROY. This list is poorly titled as "Bust".
Originally posted by DaManRathman:
How do you put Don Rodgers on that list? The man DIED. Did he make bad choices? Yes. That doesn't make him a bust. Dude won DROY. This list is poorly titled as "Bust".

If he wasnt a bust he wouldnt have died
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by DaManRathman:
How do you put Don Rodgers on that list? The man DIED. Did he make bad choices? Yes. That doesn't make him a bust. Dude won DROY. This list is poorly titled as "Bust".

If he wasnt a bust he wouldnt have died

exactly. busts die, non-busts live forever. it seems like people on this board just started watching football, like, last week!
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by DaManRathman:
How do you put Don Rodgers on that list? The man DIED. Did he make bad choices? Yes. That doesn't make him a bust. Dude won DROY. This list is poorly titled as "Bust".

If he wasnt a bust he wouldnt have died

exactly. busts die, non-busts live forever. it seems like people on this board just started watching football, like, last week!

lol
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Envy:
Originally posted by Chief:
Lawrence Phillips, RB, St. Louis Rams

Draft: Sixth Pick in 1996

What Happened: Phillips couldn't control his temper. Phillips was arrested for assaulting his girlfriend in college. Despite this, the Rams traded Jerome Bettis to the Pittsburgh Steelers before drafting Phillips.

The Rams cut him after he got into a dispute with head coach Dick Vermeil. He continued to have trouble related to his temper off the field and the Rams cut him in 1997. He played for a few more teams, but had trouble wherever he went.

He became famous for missing a block in 1999 while playing for the San Francisco 49ers, allowing Aeneas Williams to hit Steve Young, knocking him out, and giving him the concussion that effectively ended Young's career

In December of 2009, Phillips was sentenced to more than 31 years in prison for attacking his girlfriend and driving his car into three teens.



Why the hell did we sign him?

at the time it seemed like it was one of those perfect low risk high reward pickups that only Contenders can ever make work right.

I won't lie, I liked the pickup when it happened.

And I know it is fun and everything to blame him, but last I checked...a single concussion did not end Youngs career. But ultimately it is all too ironic to not remember that way because Lawrence is just a bag of bad karma walking around.

and if you'll remember, he ripped it up that summer in nfl europe, appeared to be on the right track, said all the right things, blah blah blah
Originally posted by j3xperience:
Oh look no Alex Smith.

to the Smith haters,


SHUT THE F*CK UP.

So not being one of the 32 worst EVER makes him good?