There are 239 users in the forums

Why do QBs lift left leg when in the shotgun?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
To motion a receiver and/or let the Centre know he's ready for the snap.

He's ready for the snap? Isn't it that the sequence can start for the snap? I don't know , that's why I am asking. If he were to receive the snap upon lifting his leg, seems as if the defence could time their approach on the line.

When the QB lifts his leg the center then relates to the snap count (whatever they called in the huddle). That's why you see the center looking back at the QB, so he can read the lifting of the leg.

He's ready for the snap? Isn't it that the sequence can start for the snap? I don't know , that's why I am asking. If he were to receive the snap upon lifting his leg, seems as if the defence could time their approach on the line.

When the QB lifts his leg the center then relates to the snap count (whatever they called in the huddle). That's why you see the center looking back at the QB, so he can read the lifting of the leg.

Yup, the QB will sometimes lift their leg more than once just to keep the defenses honest.

-9fA
It allows the QB to let the center that he is ready to receive the snap.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Yup, the QB will sometimes lift their leg more than once just to keep the defenses honest.

-9fA

the center can also snap the the ball when he feels that line is ready and after the center has given all of his signals.
Actually, it doesn't signal the Center to snap the ball as that is asking to give an advantage to the DL.

In a silent count, the QB signal to the Center is to let him know all players on offense who are required to be set are now set and he can snap the ball when he feels without there being an illegal motion/formation penalty.
Its just Ponder making you Ponder, thats all.
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Elway was so awesome.
Anal itching
Just Cracking one FUT!
Share 49ersWebzone