LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

Why do QBs lift left leg when in the shotgun?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Christian Ponder of Florida State lifts his left leg while in the shotgun, giving me reason to ponder. Why do he and many other QBs do that?
[ Edited by RogerCraig on Jan 18, 2011 at 10:35 PM ]
Rhythm? Oregon's QB Thomas karate chops the air before he takes the snap from the shotgun so every QB has their own way I guess

Or maybe to warn the players that he is about to hike it?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
To pee
signal to C or WR
Its a signal to the center, usually when using a silent snap count I do believe. It can also signal a WR to start his motion or another formation shift.
Originally posted by jojomellon:
Its a signal to the center, usually when using a silent snap count I do believe. It can also signal a WR to start his motion or another formation shift.

Makes sense.

Silent count starts with lift of leg.

Nothing is revealed to the defence.
John Elway started this s**t. Tried to get defenders offsides. It used to work quite a bit.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
To motion a receiver and/or let the Center know hes ready for the snap.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
To motion a receiver and/or let the Centre know he's ready for the snap.

He's ready for the snap? Isn't it that the sequence can start for the snap? I don't know , that's why I am asking. If he were to receive the snap upon lifting his leg, seems as if the defence could time their approach on the line.
Think that's bad... some of the "top" college QBs pat the ground. It's ridiculous; players in the NFL would be able to time the snap perfectly. Knowing when the play is about to happen is an obvious advantage compared to a QB who uses a 2 or 3 cadence. If I am a DL or LB as soon as I see that hand go down it's time because by the time that hand comes back up it's going to be catching the ball.

Edit: and to clarify I know in the NFL the leg lift could mean motion for the WR or snap for the center but I don't recall any WR's motioning when the college QBs patted the ground. I know Oregon is one, seen others but can't remember. With the way they do it in the NFL it could be a motion and they go on 2 or 3 a lot so it would be hard to time the snap. Most of the time in CFB they go on one.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 19, 2011 at 2:39 AM ]

Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
To motion a receiver and/or let the Centre know he's ready for the snap.

He's ready for the snap? Isn't it that the sequence can start for the snap? I don't know , that's why I am asking. If he were to receive the snap upon lifting his leg, seems as if the defence could time their approach on the line.

he can lift his leg more then once
Originally posted by susweel:
To pee

To fart
It's a gay thing.
Originally posted by jojomellon:

this
Share 49ersWebzone