LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 419 users in the forums

Do you watch football for the violence?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Throughout this whole dilemma about the NFL cracking down on violent and dangerous hits, I keep hearing the same thing from analysts and commentators: the NFL could lose fans if the games were less physical or violent...implying that the main reason most people watch football is simply for the violence.

I personally don't, I like the strategy and competition. I'd watch the NFL if they changed it to flag football.

Besides, how many violent hits are there in a game? One? Maybe? Almost every tackle is a guy getting tripped up, pushed out of bounds, or simply taken to the ground.
no. i watch it for the OLD SPICE "SWAGGER" commercials
I dont think Id watch if it was flag football.. maybe..
  • PaulW
  • Veteran
Nope, I enjoy the strategy that goes into football and the competition. Don't care about big hits at all.
Originally posted by statman:
Throughout this whole dilemma about the NFL cracking down on violent and dangerous hits, I keep hearing the same thing from analysts and commentators: the NFL could lose fans if the games were less physical or violent...implying that the main reason most people watch football is simply for the violence.

I personally don't, I like the strategy and competition. I'd watch the NFL if they changed it to flag football.

Besides, how many violent hits are there in a game? One? Maybe? Almost every tackle is a guy getting tripped up, pushed out of bounds, or simply taken to the ground.

I I'd have to pass on watching grown men play flag football.
Nope. I watch it to oggle the cheerleaders
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I watch it for the sex.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I watch it for my 9ers!!!!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
I like watching a good clean hit.

Sometimes bad s**t happens. Most of it is not intentional. I don't like players who try to injure other players.

I enjoy football because it is cerebral and physical. The apex of human potential.

Violence is a result of the physical nature of the game.

I do not watch for the violence.

That said, the NFL will probably lose fans if they continue their attempts to make the game less violent.

No. I watch it because I appreciate athleticism and strategy like Bill Walsh did it.

He was laughed at, in the beginning, when he kept passing to a running back for 2 yards. The laughter stopped when the YAC, yards after the catch, turned into first downs and touchdown drives. He outsmarted everyone in the NFL - I really miss that type of brain power. Hopefully, Harbaugh can make use of the info we've heard about in the vaults.

As far as violence goes I boxed for 4 years so, what happens in football really doesn't phase me.
  • bors
  • Veteran
i like a lil violence.i do enjoy watching big hits...does that make me a bad guy
this steelers, ravens game would not be the same if it was flag.would be great to see the niners start knockin skulls like back in the day
Football's appeal for me is definitely primarily strategy, which is why watching the Niners the past several years has been sooooo painful. Yes, violence has a hand in it too, but football probably requires more strategy than most any sport. Seeing the widely varied approaches by teams and how the oppositions attempt to counteract them is definitely the main appeal.
no I watch it for the game.
Nor specifically, but I like a to see a woo hit every now and then.
[ Edited by StOnEy333 on Jan 15, 2011 at 6:41 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone