LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 225 users in the forums

Are Rex Ryan Type Rants Good for Football?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Are Rex Ryan Type Rants Good for Football?

As much as I don't like Rex Ryan or Darnell Docket, I appreciate them bucking the trend of politically correct, tippy-toe-ing coaches and players who are afraid to say anything remotely negative because it might 'upset' the other team.

I think it's great when coaches or players come right out and say what they really feel about the other team, "I HATE those guys!" and turn average games into grudge matches.

What do you think? Is it good or bad for football when coaches or players make it personal?
hell yeah its awesome. The NFL tries to suck all of the fun out of the game and guys like that bring some actual personality to it. Plus, its great when there are villains in the league, even when your team isn't involved. I hate the Jets because of Rex Ryan, so in a way I love Rex Ryan because he makes the Jets really fun to hate. The Patriots aren't even fun to hate, they're just boring.
Its the Hoodie Vs the Footie!

Hell Yes I love the s**t talking!
Originally posted by HessianDud:
hell yeah its awesome. The NFL tries to suck all of the fun out of the game and guys like that bring some actual personality to it. Plus, its great when there are villains in the league, even when your team isn't involved. I hate the Jets because of Rex Ryan, so in a way I love Rex Ryan because he makes the Jets really fun to hate. The Patriots aren't even fun to hate, they're just boring.

I agree with you.

I love watching the Patriots because everybody hates them
it is entertaining.

but tactically its stupid. why give the other team more motivation?
He talks a lot of trash, and his team is definitely good, I wouldn't wanna go toe-to-toe with them.

But when they lose, he just ends up looking stupid with his foot in his mouth.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

I agree with you.

I love watching the Patriots because everybody hates them

i used to hate the Pats but I've gotten to the point where I just kind of respect them. I don't really know who to root for in that game.
Originally posted by niner_empire:
it is entertaining.

Steve Young once brought that up when the Cowboys players were saying they were "really going to pound him" the next game they played.

He basically brushed it off saying that the other team was already hitting you as hard as they possibly could so how are they going to hit you any harder?

I agree. Let the insults, taunts, and braggadocio fly!
On a serious note, I don't think it has any affect on football.

I personally find it annoying. You have to earn rivalries and grudge matches, you can't just start talking s**t and think "LULZ I MADE RIVALRY!"

I like the way the Patriots do it. They beat the s**t out of you, and don't say a thing about it, because they don't have to. That's how we did it in the 80s.

The Jets are just a bunch of dopes who haven't won s**t.

Originally posted by statman:
He talks a lot of trash, and his team is definitely good, I wouldn't wanna go toe-to-toe with them.

But when they lose, he just ends up looking stupid with his foot in his mouth.

Better than those coaches who p***yfoot around the issues
it is entertaining.

this
usually I would say yes. It is good to talk about your team, market, bring attention.

But this one is stupid. He should not make this game about him. We are even in talents. So this is between Bill B and me. If I out coach him, we win. Wrong move buddy.

Your players have to play it.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
it is entertaining.

this

I have to agree with this NFL insider:

Newsday declared Ryan went “bonkers” Monday but one of Ryan’s long-time confidants saw it differently. “He knows exactly what he’s doing,” the associate said.

Exactly what he’s doing is trying to make this all about Rex Ryan against Patriots coach Bill Belichick. Or Rex Ryan against quarterback Tom Brady(notes). Or Rex Ryan against Rex Ryan.

Anything that keeps the focus and the blame and the pressure on himself is a victory because it keeps it away from the real issue for the Jets – inconsistent quarterback Mark Sanchez.

Yahoo Sports
He's kind of an idiot for saying the stuff he says. But he wins a lot. He could do it in a more classy way.
Share 49ersWebzone