LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Ron Rivera next Panthers HC

Shop 49ers game tickets
Glad he finally got a chance. I thought it was going to happen a couple of years ago.

Good for him and the Panthers...which I actually do not like.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
He's more qualified then Sing ever was for being an HC.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Watching Rivera speak reminds me so much of Singletary.

Paraphrasing: "I will bring in an OC that will mesh with my system and this team..."

Sounds a lot like Singletary.

Actually he reminds me of what we all thought Singletary was when we first hired him.

hopefully he has more of clue how to actually coach.

Well he is a proven defensive coordinator. I don't get the move though. It reminds me of the Broncos firing Mike Shanahan for Josh McDaniels. I think he will be ok.

However, I don't like the mix of a young QB and a defensive head coach. Outside of Jeff Fisher with Steve McNair, has it ever worked out? Often times, their approach retards the growth of the QB. Imagine Randall Cunningham being with the 49ers as opposed to Buddy Ryan at the beginning of his career.

Peyton Manning with Jim Mora

Tom Brady with Bill Belichick

Matt Ryan with Mike Smith

Ben Roethlisberger with Bill Cowher

Sam Bradford with Steve Spagnuolo

Joe Flacco with John Harbaugh

Josh Freeman with Raheem Morris

Matthew Stafford with Jim Schwartz

Mark Sanchez with Rex Ryan
[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 11, 2011 at 5:37 PM ]
Since he said they'll stick with the 4-3 then I'm guessing Fairley or Bowers will be the pick at #1.

Paraphrasing: "I will bring in an OC that will mesh with my system and this team..."

Actually he reminds me of what we all thought Singletary was when we first hired him.

Well he is a proven defensive coordinator. I don't get the move though. It reminds me of the Broncos firing Mike Shanahan for Josh McDaniels. I think he will be ok.

However, I don't like the mix of a young QB and a defensive head coach. Outside of Jeff Fisher with Steve McNair, has it ever worked out? Often times, their approach retards the growth of the QB. Imagine Randall Cunningham being with the 49ers as opposed to Buddy Ryan at the beginning of his career.

lol, never right.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,500 for jojomellon.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Since he said they'll stick with the 4-3 then I'm guessing Fairley or Bowers will be the pick at #1.

Id put all my money on Fairley, they have 3 really good, real young DE's already and with the impact of Suh in DET, I think Fairley is the consensus number 1.
Originally posted by jojomellon:

Id put all my money on Fairley, they have 3 really good, real young DE's already and with the impact of Suh in DET, I think Fairley is the consensus number 1.

Yeah that's my guess as well. Charles Johnson/Everette Brown(or Hardy) at DE and inside Fairley+another guy(they dont have a good DT at the moment) could be a really good DLine. Plus they have Beason, Thomas Davis, and James Anderson 3 pretty good LBers with Beason being a star. Then in their secondary Godfrey is pretty good, and Richard Marshall and Gamble are good corners. They definitely have the tools to be a pretty good D, I can see Rivera doing something with that team.

Then next year they should have their RB stable healthy, and they could improve their OL but their tackles Gross and Otah are pretty good. If Jimmy Clausen plays well they could actually be pretty good. I kind of like their team. They need a good Offensive coordinator though.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
it's a good hire... the Panthers just need a QB and some depth, they still have Steve Smith and 2 awesome running backs. I wouldn't be shocked to see them back in the playoffs next season or two.
To me, the fact that Rivera made the Chargers D number 1 this year was just amazing with some of the poor talent they have.
NT - Antonio Garay, a 30 year old journeyman who never had more than 5 TACKLES in a season, has 6 sacks this year and 48 tackles.
DE - Castillo is awesome but Jacques Cesaire is another 30 year old never-was.
OLB - Phillips is a solid player but had a rotation of Antwan Barnes, English, and Applewhite across from him.

Not exactly a top 10 D on paper.
[ Edited by jojomellon on Jan 13, 2011 at 1:15 AM ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jojomellon:

Hire Chud.

Make a run at Volek & Vincent Jackson (both Chud and Rivera have the familiarity with them).

Draft Fairley.

It would be a wise move for Carolina to do this IMHO.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Not a very inspiring hire.
Originally posted by susweel:
Not a very inspiring hire.

??? What would have been more inspiring to you? Was there a better coordinator in the game last year?

Well there you have it.
Share 49ersWebzone