There are 75 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

QB carousel - who goes where?

My best guess on where QBs will land in 2011:

Veterans to be traded - likely starters

1.) Vince Young, Tennessee - traded to Carolina
The out-of-Luck Panthers need a veteran playmaker, and VY could be a short-term answer for them until Clausen develops. Carolina will likely draft A.J. Green, so their offense might actually come to life next season.

2.) Kyle Orton, Denver - traded to Minnesota
Whether or not McDaniels gets the OC job here, Orton is a midwest kid who would probably love to come back to the area, and would solidify the Vikings QB position for the next few years until (or if) Joe Webb can be developed.

3.) Donovan McNabb, Washington - traded to Arizona
Whisenhunt hopes lightning strikes twice with a supposed "washed up" veteran leading his team back to glory. DM might buy them just enough time to develop Skelton and use their #5 overall on a pass rusher or CB.

4.) Kevin Kolb, Philadelphia - traded to Seattle
Surprisingly, the Seahawks have a lot of talent across the board, and are only a veteran QB away from being long-term contenders in the NFC. They willingly give up their late 1st rounder (and a little more) to stabilize their QB situation.

5.) Josh Johnson, Tampa Bay - traded to San Francisco
Makes perfect sense. Harbaugh is reunited with Johnson, who could come and run Jim's system quicker and more efficiently than most (see Harbaugh's comments about JJ's intelligence). We could still sign a veteran QB like Matt Hasselback, Jon Kitna or Billy Volek as a team stabilizer/QB mentor as well as draft a QB somewhere in the first 3 rounds to develop. But pairing Harbaugh one more time with "The Golden Goose" just might be the answer for us in the near-term.


Veterans to be signed - likely backups


1.) Matt Hasselback - Signs with San Francisco
Veteran leadership, mentoring skills and very capable backup

2.) Alex Smith - Signs with Miami
Alex trys to rebuild his career and pry away the starting job from Henne (neither should be too hard)

3.) Jon Kitna - Signs with Washington
Veteran who can still play; solid citizen and mentor to young QB Shanny brings in

4.) Billy Volek - Signs with Cleveland
Proven, solid backup and insurance policy for Colt McCoy

5.) Tavaris Jackson - Signs with Philadelphia
Nice development backup to Vick


Rookie early draft picks


1.) Buffalo - drafts Blaine Gabbert, Missouri
They'll have a hard time attracting quality veteran free agent QBs, so they go the development route. Gabbert will have time to sit and watch behind Fitzpatrick, and give hope to Bills fans everywhere that they MIGHT have a future.

2.) Miami - trades up and drafts Cameron Newton
Yes, they have Henne and I projected them to sign Alex Smith, but they still need a long-term answer and someone worth developing. Cam is all of that and more.

3.) Tennessee - drafts Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
A taller, less athletic version of Carson Palmer.

4.) Washington - drafts Jake Locker, Washington
Shanahan takes on the biggest project of his career.

5.) San Francisco - drafts Ricky Stanzi in the 3rd/4th round *Rounds out the 49er QB depth chart for 2011*
Starter - Josh Johnson
Veteran backup - Matt Hasselback
Rookie 3rd stringer - Ricky Stanzi

Note: Not using an early pick on a QB and trading for JJ/signing Hasselback allows us to go with a young/talented QB that has a veteran backup. More importantly, it gives us the chance to draft a pass rusher or CB with that #7 pick. Not to mention, the QB class next year should be WAY better than this one (Andrew Luck, Landry Jones, Matt Barkley, Terrelle Pryor, Brandon Weeden, Nick Foles, Robert Griffin III, Kellen Moore, Kirk Cousins, Dominique Davis, etc.).
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 11, 2011 at 12:12 AM ]
Good info. A couple questions:

I guess you think that Cincinnati and Denver stick with Palmer and Tebow?

Do you think the Raiders will stick with their QB situation?

Do you think Detroit will try to get a solid backup for Stafford, since he's prone to injuries? Or do you think they'll try to replace him entirely?

Also, personally, I'd rather have Devlin than Stanzi.
Most realistic 49er depth chart I've seen so far, but I would make the 3rd stringer Stanzi OR Ponder, and Hasselback the starter until he gets hurt.
Originally posted by statman:
Good info. A couple questions:

I guess you think that Cincinnati and Denver stick with Palmer and Tebow?

Do you think the Raiders will stick with their QB situation?

Do you think Detroit will try to get a solid backup for Stafford, since he's prone to injuries? Or do you think they'll try to replace him entirely?

Also, personally, I'd rather have Devlin than Stanzi.

~I think Cincy and Denver stay pat, though they'll bring in veteran backups
~Al likes Jason Campbell, so he'll get what he wants
~Detroit will likely try to re-sign Shaun Hill
~Devlin would be a nice pickup as well; he and Stanzi are probably interchangeable
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,332
What would it take to get Johnson in a 49ers uniform and why would Tampa let him go?
Originally posted by 23zack80:
What would it take to get Johnson in a 49ers uniform and why would Tampa let him go?

1.) Probably a 3rd, given our need and fit for our system (yes, we'll probably have to overpay a little)
2.) According to Tampa's head coach, Josh Freeman is "the franchise," and Josh Johnson is a "career backup" in that organization.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/sep/16/161439/sp-johnson-will-do-as-the-new-no-2/sports/
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 10, 2011 at 2:07 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

2.) Alex Smith - Signs with Miami
Alex trys to rebuild his career and pry away the starting job from Henne (neither should be too hard)

Resurrecting that career is gonna be hard.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,155
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
My best guess on where QBs will land in 2011:

Veterans to be traded - likely starters

1.) Vince Young, Tennessee - traded to Carolina
The out-of-Luck Panthers need a veteran playmaker, and VY could be a short-term answer for them until Clausen develops. Carolina will likely draft A.J. Green, so their offense might actually come to life next season.

2.) Kyle Orton, Denver - traded to Minnesota
Whether or not McDaniels gets the OC job here, Orton is a midwest kid who would probably love to come back to the area, and would solidify the Vikings QB position for the next few years until (or if) Joe Webb can be developed.

3.) Donovan McNabb, Washington - traded to Arizona
Whisenhunt hopes lightning strikes twice with a supposed "washed up" veteran leading his team back to glory. DM might buy them just enough time to develop Skelton and use their #5 overall on a pass rusher or CB.

4.) Kevin Kolb, Philadelphia - traded to Seattle
Surprisingly, the Seahawks have a lot of talent across the board, and are only a veteran QB away from being long-term contenders in the NFC. They willingly give up their late 1st rounder (and a little more) to stabilize their QB situation.

5.) Josh Johnson, Tampa Bay - traded to San Francisco
Makes perfect sense. Harbaugh is reunited with Johnson, who could come and run Jim's system quicker and more efficiently than most (see Harbaugh's comments about JJ's intelligence). We could still sign a veteran QB like Matt Hasselback, Jon Kitna or Billy Volek as a team stabilizer/QB mentor as well as draft a QB somewhere in the first 3 rounds to develop. But pairing Harbaugh one more time with "The Golden Goose" just might be the answer for us in the near-term.


Veterans to be signed - likely backups


1.) Matt Hasselback - Signs with San Francisco
Veteran leadership, mentoring skills and very capable backup

2.) Alex Smith - Signs with Miami
Alex trys to rebuild his career and pry away the starting job from Henne (neither should be too hard)

3.) Jon Kitna - Signs with Washington
Veteran who can still play; solid citizen and mentor to young QB Shanny brings in

4.) Billy Volek - Signs with Cleveland
Proven, solid backup and insurance policy for Colt McCoy

5.) Tavaris Jackson - Signs with Philadelphia
Nice development backup to Vick


Rookie early draft picks


1.) Buffalo - drafts Blaine Gabbert, Missouri
They'll have a hard time attracting quality veteran free agent QBs, so they go the development route. Gabbert will have time to sit and watch behind Fitzpatrick, and give hope to Bills fans everywhere that they MIGHT have a future.

2.) Miami - trades up and drafts Cameron Newton
Yes, they have Henne and I projected them to sign Alex Smith, but they still need a long-term answer and someone worth developing. Cam is all of that and more.

3.) Tennessee - drafts Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
A taller, less athletic version of Carson Palmer...Mallett

4.) Washington - drafts Jake Locker, Washington
Shanahan takes on the biggest project of his career.

5.) San Francisco - drafts Ricky Stanzi in the 3rd/4th round *Rounds out the 49er QB depth chart for 2011*
Starter - Josh Johnson
Veteran backup - Matt Hasselback
Rookie 3rd stringer - Ricky Stanzi

Note: Not using an early pick on a QB and trading for JJ/signing Hasselback allows us to go with a young/talented QB that has a veteran backup. More importantly, it gives us the chance to draft a pass rusher or CB with that #7 pick. Not to mention, the QB class next year should be WAY better than this one (Andrew Luck, Landry Jones, Matt Barkley, Terrelle Pryor, Brandon Weeden, Nick Foles, Robert Griffin III, Kellen Moore, Kirk Cousins, Dominique Davis, etc.).
Good stuff, Ghost.

I like the 49er options. My only concern is whether Seattle will sit back and let Hasselback leave. His play against NO will likely make him more desirable there as a backup.

On Vince Young. I have read on some eastern boards that Mike Shanahan has said he believes he can reach Vince Young and turn his career around. He would prefer to make VY the starter rather than bringing in a rookie this year. From the quote by Bo Scaife it makes that idea sound like a bad one, but...

I also agree that Denver and Cincy will stick with what they have. Lewis is a big Palmer fan and has made it clear he wants him to stay.

Finally, my most emphatic agreement is that the 49ers should NOT use the 1st or 2nd this year on a QB. This is a weak class of QBs and they all will go higher than they should in even an average year. Bring in a place holder for this year but get impact players that solve needs. I rank the needs, in order, pass rushing OBL, CB, WR, FS, center.

If the 49ers can solve the first two needs and get a band aid on the third, a 4th round QB would be just fine. That, along with much better coaching will make them competitive next season. Then stash some draft picks to make a move to draft a top-level QB next year.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,893
Payton Mannig gets franchised and we offer him a contract and get him.

Muhahahahhahahahhaa muhahahahahhaha

Muhaa

Ha


Ha


Great effort and results. One of the best posts concerning off season activity in a long time.



I forgot that as a rookie, JJ learned the WCO under Gruden and now under Greg Olson, who worked under Paul Hackett.

He already has been infused with WCO roots. He's a perfect candidate to step in and compete for the #1 spot. I believe we can nab him for a fourth, a third is a bit high, but well worth it, IMO.

I was thinking of Hasselbeck and Stanzi (started that bandwagon thread). I am soooo stoked about next year's QB squad.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Most realistic 49er depth chart I've seen so far, but I would make the 3rd stringer Stanzi OR Ponder, and Hasselback the starter until he gets hurt.

It would certainly be exciting if it panned out like that, but when have such predictions ever come good?

So I wouldn't characterize the depth chart as "realistic". TB has no reason to trade JJ and every contending team needs a strong back-up. TB would make the Niners over pay and I don't believe that Baalke would do that.

Also the draft is an absolute crap shoot, especially the third round. No way to predict it.

But I do agree with one thing. If Hasselback does become a Niner, he will be the starter . . . until he gets hurt. He's not backing up JJ . . . it's the other way around.
I don't want Seattle getting Kolb, so I hope Reid holds on to him or trades him to someone outside our division.


What do you think about signing Dennis Dixon?


And I do agree that the Bills need a qb. But by draft time maybe Gabbert rises his stock to be taken that high. Right now I think that Fitzpatrick played pretty good as a starter, and that Buffalo would be better off picking a lineman or corner for their horrible defense.
Why would Seattle trade for Kolb when they have alot invested in Charlie Whitehurst?
Originally posted by 5xChamp:
Why would Seattle trade for Kolb when they have alot invested in Charlie Whitehurst?

because he ain't nuthin' but doo doo.
Great post. Although I think Alex ends up in Arizona. He wants to stay as close to CA as possible.