There are 224 users in the forums

2010 Colts the mind-90's Niners?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Anyone get the feeling watching the Colts that they are very similar to the mid to late 90's 49ers? They are good enough to win 10 or 11 games, but not really a true great team anymore? The have a great QB and enough good players left to win a lot, but just too many losses at certain areas to completely get the job done? Had to say when they made it to the Superbowl last year, but they really make me think of the 95-98 Niners right now.
  • mod
  • Veteran
The patriots on the other hand

Brady is ballin
I understand the point you're trying to make, but its incorrect.

The 49ers had a great offense and the #1 defense in 1995, #7 in 1996, and #1 again in 1997 (the defense fell apart in '98). The departure of Ricky Watters after the '94 season, combined with the severe injury to Bar None decimated our running game...we were 23rd in 1995. The arrival of Hearst fixed that, and we were able to dominate the 1997 season despite missing Jerry Rice and having a VERY green WR corps.

I truly believe that the 97 squad was just as talented as some of our super bowl teams, and if Hearst wasn't injured in the playoffs we would have went all the way.
They indeed remind me a lot of the early-to-mid 90s 49ers. Offensive versatility/power lacking a stable defense (in their case; a RB, as well). They need to get Asomugha in FA, and trade Dwight Freeney (elite pass-rusher turned injury bug), or look to groom his replacement 'now' rather than later.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

The 49ers had a great offense and the #1 defense in 1995, #7 in 1996, and #1 again in 1997 (the defense fell apart in '98). The departure of Ricky Watters after the '94 season, combined with the severe injury to Bar None decimated our running game...we were 23rd in 1995. The arrival of Hearst fixed that, and we were able to dominate the 1997 season despite missing Jerry Rice and having a VERY green WR corps.

I truly believe that the 97 squad was just as talented as some of our super bowl teams, and if Hearst wasn't injured in the playoffs we would have went all the way.

What? You didn't think Derrick Loville could shoulder the load?
Colts have not done a good job grooming a replacement for Manning. He is gonna go down hard one day and the colts will suck.
My dad is a big Colts fan and I tell him this all the time! Both teams dominated in the regular season. The Niners won a superbowl once they got past Dallas but could never get past Green Bay and had a few other playoff losses mixed in. The Colts won their superbowl once they got past NE but cant get past SD. The Colts have been to 2 superbowls though while, obviously the 90's 9ers only made 1.
Yea they do remind me of each other. I think the colts biggest problme minus the soft defense is Jim Caldwell. They really didn't go out and conduct a real coaching search and just hired Dungy's guy. It never works when you hire a successor from within.
If it had not been for Brett f**king Favre we would have won at least three in the mid 90's.
The Colts remind me of Marino Dolphins but with a better defense.

There's really not a team that reminds of the 90's Niners because as much as people want to look at the passing game, we relied a lot on our running game and running back out of the backfield. This year's PHI team at their best was more like the Niners.

The 49ers have never lost a Super Bowl.
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
Originally posted by nickbradley:

What? You didn't think Derrick Loville could shoulder the load?

Good ole Loville days:(. Losing Deion was bad. Losing Watters was devastating to this team. I dont believe Green Bay would have put on such a fierce pass rush if Watters was still here.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FGore2121:
The 49ers have never lost a Super Bowl.

The Truth
Originally posted by lamontb:
Yea they do remind me of each other. I think the colts biggest problme minus the soft defense is Jim Caldwell. They really didn't go out and conduct a real coaching search and just hired Dungy's guy. It never works when you hire a successor from within.

I agree. I think Seifert's hire was the only time that situation worked out.

In the case of the Colts, there are similarities. I think we were better put together than the Colts are. Unfortunately, the Packers were a bad matchup for us. Had we played any other team in the playoffs from 95-97, we make the SuperBowl, and maybe in 95, and definitely in 97, we win the game.
Share 49ersWebzone