LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Steve Smith (Panthers)

Shop 49ers game tickets
this guy obviously doesnt like whats going on in carolina. i wonder if we could get him to come out to SF. hes a tough, physical receiver, very fast and he runs better routes than almost any receiver in the league. i think he would be a great receiver in the WCO. quick strikes to this guy could be devastating, especially with all the other weapons we have and our size with our TE's and big receivers down field to block. im not sure on his contract status but i think hes a guy worth lookin at. what do you guys think?
If he's a FA sure. But I don't see why they'd trade him if he's not. Even if he wants out, he's obligated to play there and Clausen needs someone to throw to. They have no other options for Clausen to throw to.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
If he's a FA sure. But I don't see why they'd trade him if he's not. Even if he wants out, he's obligated to play there and Clausen needs someone to throw to. They have no other options for Clausen to throw to.

i think i read somewhere that hes trying to get out of there. i dont know if it was an article or just reading it on here but i thought he would be a great option in the WCO
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

i think i read somewhere that hes trying to get out of there. i dont know if it was an article or just reading it on here but i thought he would be a great option in the WCO

He would be badass because he's still fast, strong, and he runs great routes and has good hands. But I'm not trading picks for any WR other than Andre Johnson or Megatron(who are both unavailable). If you look at the FA WRs out there, there's a lot of guys on his level that are available.
i'd give up a 4th for steve smith at the most
Santa Moss will be available. Likely at a lesser price. And more classy...
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I like this option more. I've always been a big Santana Moss fan since his days with the Jets and was upset they traded him. Never really had the best QB's in his career but always found ways to be productive. He proved to be a great fit in the WCO under Shannahan this year and had his highest reception total of his career with 93. His yards per catch has been declining but he's become a much better route runner with age. Not being able to rely on his pure speed anymore.

Like you said as well, he'd be a lot cheaper to acquire as well. He's an east coast guy though so trying to convince to come out to California for the latter parts of his career might be a tough sell. Especially if he wants to play for a SB ring.
[ Edited by BoiseNiner on Jan 10, 2011 at 6:13 AM ]
Who would get cut? What about his effect on locker room ? I'm thinking no thanks.
I heared he put his house up for sale in Charlotte. I think and believe he is on his way out. I would love to have him here. He is a competitor and would help out these young WR's as well. Only thing I am worried about he gets banged up alot.

He drops way too many balls. Never makes catches with his hands. He's an ok number 3 wr but Steve Smith is just better.

Originally posted by lamontb:

He drops way too many balls. Never makes catches with his hands. He's an ok number 3 wr but Steve Smith is just better.

got a friend whos a die hard Skins fan (feel sorry for him) but yes he does drop alot of passes. Hell if thats the case we got Ted Ginn so nope for me.
I would love to get Steve Smith, he with a good QB would complete this offense.

Smith, VD, Crabs, Ginn, Gore, Westbrook, Walker, Morgan
Take a look at him? Sure. But how long would it take until he attacks a team mate? He reminds me of Blount, people like that hit first, think later. I dunno about the baggage he'll bring over to our team if signed. Talent-wise, he's much better than Ginn.
Wouldn't mind it if it doesn't cost us alot!
i think they can get him. carolina's owner is cheap and they want to rebuild that team. the cheapest way to do that is by getting rid of veterans and replacing them with cheaper rookies so draft picks are good for them. theyll probably trade out of the one spot anyway now that luck isnt coming out. i think it could happen. we'd be lucky to get him, hes the perfect receiver for a WCO, a little on the short side but hes tough, fast, runs great routes and has great hands. if we can get him for a 3rd or 4th id do it in a heartbeat.
Share 49ersWebzone