CBA Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Mediation between NFL, union will resume on Tuesday - NFL.com
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by dwett:
Originally posted by danimal:
sometimes it takes 3 to tango. The owners are organized. The players are organized. So what about the consumers?

If we organized and threatened to boycott 1 game per every strike game, the CBA would be signed in 20 mins.

So everyone can complain all they want but this is all our fault.

And neither side is being greedy, because the consumers are not being greedy enough. They set the price and nobody has the balls to say NO THANKS. So how are the owners or the players being greedy??

I agree but we all want or need the NFL, so what are we to do????? We need a rep. Who do you nominate??

I am not saying lets do this. I am saying we should do it, but I know it would never get done.

Too many people willing to spend their money for an immediate need.

I am just saying in a dream world, IF the consumers were able to organize and promise a 1 game boycott for every work stoppage game...than there would never be a work stoppage in the first place

I know. I was just joking with ya, but I will agree with you that if the fans were to revolt it would destroy the NFL. They only need to look at baseball if they don't believe. Although if the NFL could pump up some QBs with steriods and have them throw 70+ TDs each they could make a come back
AdamSchefter

NFLPA Exec Dir De Smith addressing agents now. An agent in room texted: "Not close on one single issue. This WILL go into September."

Originally posted by valrod33:
AdamSchefter

NFLPA Exec Dir De Smith addressing agents now. An agent in room texted: "Not close on one single issue. This WILL go into September."

Sounds about right. On ESPN John Clayton was saying that the owners didn't show up to any of the meetings and that they haven't backed down from wanting a billion back. The owners still have not said laid out a why they need/want a billion dollars back. If this goes into September I don't see how they can just jump start the season and start playing til October.
  • dj43
AdamSchefter

That has been the union position for over a year. That is why they started telling players to save their money and not expect to see any game checks as in the past.

DeMaurice Smith is a HARD-core union supporter. He has made his career in lobbying for unions and their supporters. He worked for one of the biggest law firms in DC, as a union lobbyist. He was a HUGE Obama supporter and raised considerable money from unions for liberal Democrats. It is in his DNA. He ISN'T going to back down.
Originally posted by dj43:
AdamSchefter

That has been the union position for over a year. That is why they started telling players to save their money and not expect to see any game checks as in the past.

DeMaurice Smith is a HARD-core union supporter. He has made his career in lobbying for unions and their supporters. He worked for one of the biggest law firms in DC, as a union lobbyist. He was a HUGE Obama supporter and raised considerable money from unions for liberal Democrats. It is in his DNA. He ISN'T going to back down.

I'm shocked that the head of a union is a hardcore union supporter. what is this country coming to?
  • dj43
Originally posted by HessianDud:
AdamSchefter

I'm shocked that the head of a union is a hardcore union supporter. what is this country coming to?
It must be "rack and ruin."

My point was that unions are under fire from all sides right now and Smith, given his background, is more likely to hold out till the end that give in on anything.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
NFL just needs to do a hard line approach, tell the players who ever wants to come and play under our guidelines and whoever doesn't go f**k yourselves. NFL holds the advantage because they can replace players and many of the current players will break away from the union and go make their money (riiight).
AdamSchefter

My point was that unions are under fire from all sides right now and Smith, given his background, is more likely to hold out till the end that give in on anything.

i've said before that I think that things would be different under Upshaw, and that Smith is pretty stubborn and is probably a roadblock in this situation--then again, that's what the union hired him for. they knew this was coming and without upshaw, who many felt was too cozy with Tagliabue (and the owners thought vice versa) they wanted someone who was going to be a hardass. maybe that isn't in the fans best interest, but the union has every right to look out for its own interest.

also, i still fail to see the relevance to obama in any of this. are you just figuring out that unions support democrats?
  • cgida
  • Veteran
How about we put this same amouont of effort into creating jobs across America so that oour unemployment rate goes down and kids have food and a future in front of them. We are talking about a bunch of rich people fighting over getting richer. Common focus on the real problems and not this!!!

Each side is right about some stuff and wrong about others. For example, the owners are right about the need for a rookie cap but they are wrong about the 18 game season.
Originally posted by cgida:
How about we put this same amouont of effort into creating jobs across America so that oour unemployment rate goes down and kids have food and a future in front of them. We are talking about a bunch of rich people fighting over getting richer. Common focus on the real problems and not this!!!

are you talking about the people posting on this message board, or the NFL/NFLPA?
Originally posted by cgida:

are you talking about the people posting on this message board, or the NFL/NFLPA?

Yes... strange response. cgida, go to the parking lot for political debates. Plenty going on.
  • dj43
AdamSchefter

i've said before that I think that things would be different under Upshaw, and that Smith is pretty stubborn and is probably a roadblock in this situation--then again, that's what the union hired him for. they knew this was coming and without upshaw, who many felt was too cozy with Tagliabue (and the owners thought vice versa) they wanted someone who was going to be a hardass. maybe that isn't in the fans best interest, but the union has every right to look out for its own interest.

also, i still fail to see the relevance to obama in any of this. are you just figuring out that unions support democrats?
Perhaps I might have left the Obama connection to the Wisc thread, however, it seems pretty clear that Obama is in full on damage control over unions and Democrat cozy connections to them. Obama/Democrats cannot afford to see unions lose mandated dues or other sources of revenue that wind up in Dem coffers. With the NFL CBA getting a great deal of publicity, and Smith's close connection to Obama, this becomes a major battleground that the union cannot afford to lose.

Unions are going to have to choose "hills they are willing to die for," and give up on others. That much seems inevitable to me given state budget issues. The question with the NFL: Is this a hill Big Union is willing to die for? Will the union be seen as "caving" if they agree to a rookie cap? 18 game schedule? Where will they compromise, or will they?

I don't know how strongly Obama may feel about his close friend and strong personal supporter but it seems worthy of consideration. With Democrats under fire in a number of areas, will Smith feel obligated to support his close friend and political ally?

No, I haven't just figured out that unions support Dems...
AdamSchefter

Perhaps I might have left the Obama connection to the Wisc thread, however, it seems pretty clear that Obama is in full on damage control over unions and Democrat cozy connections to them. Obama/Democrats cannot afford to see unions lose mandated dues or other sources of revenue that wind up in Dem coffers. With the NFL CBA getting a great deal of publicity, and Smith's close connection to Obama, this becomes a major battleground that the union cannot afford to lose.

Unions are going to have to choose "hills they are willing to die for," and give up on others. That much seems inevitable to me given state budget issues. The question with the NFL: Is this a hill Big Union is willing to die for? Will the union be seen as "caving" if they agree to a rookie cap? 18 game schedule? Where will they compromise, or will they?

I don't know how strongly Obama may feel about his close friend and strong personal supporter but it seems worthy of consideration. With Democrats under fire in a number of areas, will Smith feel obligated to support his close friend and political ally?

No, I haven't just figured out that unions support Dems...

lol. um. ok.
Share 49ersWebzone