CBA Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by valrod33:
Day 7 of talks

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6153874

according to the mediator they meet again on Tuesday

This is good news

i think it might get done by march 10th
(i predicted harbarough signing to the correct date a wekk in advance eventhough with all the miami dolphins talk)

lets see how much of a roll i am in
Not one owner has shown up and been part of these talks. Nothing positive or tangible came out of these meetings at all. We shall see more of an effort by next Wednesday as the deadline really gets close and the combine is over.
[ Edited by lamontb on Feb 24, 2011 at 10:54 AM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
I listened to a couple of different reports this morning and all inferred that events behind the scenes are lining up for a work stoppage. All these mediated meetings appear to have gained little. No owners have attended, and they are the ones who will actually vote.

With a week to go, it does not look good for a new agreement by March 3. If it doesn't happen by then, it will be a long time before it does.

i agree that even with the basically positive news of these continued meetings that nothing is likely to get done by March 3rd, but i disagree that the fact that no owners have attended is a factor. Goodell is there, and i believe that the owners respect his decisions and input. Say what you will about Goodell, but he is held in high regard by the owners and I think he is capable of communicating with them and getting a consensus, if something meaningful happens in these meetings.

Not that it means that everything will be solved by these meetings, but headway could be made, and, while unlikely, I could see, if there is something meaningful accomplished, Goodell getting the owners to agree to extending the current CBA by a week or two in order to get the new deal finalized.
I listened to a couple of different reports this morning and all inferred that events behind the scenes are lining up for a work stoppage. All these mediated meetings appear to have gained little. No owners have attended, and they are the ones who will actually vote.

With a week to go, it does not look good for a new agreement by March 3. If it doesn't happen by then, it will be a long time before it does.

Originally posted by dwett:
Originally posted by danimal:
sometimes it takes 3 to tango. The owners are organized. The players are organized. So what about the consumers?

If we organized and threatened to boycott 1 game per every strike game, the CBA would be signed in 20 mins.

So everyone can complain all they want but this is all our fault.

And neither side is being greedy, because the consumers are not being greedy enough. They set the price and nobody has the balls to say NO THANKS. So how are the owners or the players being greedy??

I agree but we all want or need the NFL, so what are we to do????? We need a rep. Who do you nominate??

I am not saying lets do this. I am saying we should do it, but I know it would never get done.

Too many people willing to spend their money for an immediate need.

I am just saying in a dream world, IF the consumers were able to organize and promise a 1 game boycott for every work stoppage game...than there would never be a work stoppage in the first place
sometimes it takes 3 to tango. The owners are organized. The players are organized. So what about the consumers?

If we organized and threatened to boycott 1 game per every strike game, the CBA would be signed in 20 mins.

And neither side is being greedy, because the consumers are not being greedy enough. They set the price and nobody has the balls to say NO THANKS. So how are the owners or the players being greedy??

I agree but we all want or need the NFL, so what are we to do????? We need a rep. Who do you nominate??

I am not saying lets do this. I am saying we should do it, but I know it would never get done.

I am just saying in a dream world, IF the consumers were able to organize and promise a 1 game boycott for every work stoppage game...than there would never be a work stoppage in the first place

Exactly. For the most part we are all sheep. The owners expect know we will all come back to the game regardless of a work stoppage. I mean they are still selling season tickets and collecting that revenue, while shutting down the league.

Such a union (see Wisconsin) could require the players and owners to adopt binding arbitration permanently.
  • dj43
Originally posted by HessianDud:

i agree that even with the basically positive news of these continued meetings that nothing is likely to get done by March 3rd, but i disagree that the fact that no owners have attended is a factor. Goodell is there, and i believe that the owners respect his decisions and input. Say what you will about Goodell, but he is held in high regard by the owners and I think he is capable of communicating with them and getting a consensus, if something meaningful happens in these meetings.

Not that it means that everything will be solved by these meetings, but headway could be made, and, while unlikely, I could see, if there is something meaningful accomplished, Goodell getting the owners to agree to extending the current CBA by a week or two in order to get the new deal finalized.
Yes, you're right. Goodell does have the confidence of the owners, and we can bet that he already has a solid understanding of what they will, and will not, accept.

The greater importance of the owners presence would be if a deal was very close, then they would likely be there.

As to an extension, I don't think they need to do that. There is nothing in play right now so they don't really have to do anything if they feel like they can get something done by March 15 or so. Of course, that doesn't mean they won't extend, just that I don't see it as a big deal.

...hoping it gets done soon...

Yes, you're right. Goodell does have the confidence of the owners, and we can bet that he already has a solid understanding of what they will, and will not, accept.

The greater importance of the owners presence would be if a deal was very close, then they would likely be there.

As to an extension, I don't think they need to do that. There is nothing in play right now so they don't really have to do anything if they feel like they can get something done by March 15 or so. Of course, that doesn't mean they won't extend, just that I don't see it as a big deal.

yeah, i don't think an extension would happen either, was just kind of an example of something i think goodell could get the owners to agree to, if there was some kind of progress made without the owners in attendance.

all in all, not much has actually changed, but i think these meetings give the whole process momentum that it did not have a week ago. if nothing else, it seems to be developing some confidence in the process, on the players part
  • dj43

yeah, i don't think an extension would happen either, was just kind of an example of something i think goodell could get the owners to agree to, if there was some kind of progress made without the owners in attendance.

all in all, not much has actually changed, but i think these meetings give the whole process momentum that it did not have a week ago. if nothing else, it seems to be developing some confidence in the process, on the players part
Yes, this thing needs a mediator. DeMaurice Smith is a union hard-liner and there are some owners that are just as hard on their side. A mediator was a vital part at some point in time.

I don't want to go off on a total threadjack but I wonder how much Smith's close ties to Obama may influence his position one way or another. Obama has really backed off on his support for the teachers' union in Wisconsin, Illinois and Indiana after his poll numbers took a big hit over the weekend. If Smith perceives those changing poll numbers to be a lack of overall support for unions, will he be less hard line? IDK

(Smith has been a long-time supporter of liberal Democrats and was a member of Obama's transition team. He also worked for one of the biggest lobbying firms in DC - very pro-union.)

WASHINGTON -- As the NFL and NFL Players Association wrapped up seven consecutive days of mediation before George S. Cohen on Thursday at the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, the parties agreed to resume the process next Tuesday (March 1) at Cohen's behest.

Cohen released a statement Thursday saying the NFL and NFL Players Association were making progress in their talks but "very strong differences remain."

"I recommended and the parties have agreed to resume the mediation process in my office commencing next Tuesday (March 1)," Cohen said.

"I can report that throughout this extensive period the parties engaged in highly focused, constructive dialogue concerning a host of issues covering both economics and player-related conditions," Cohen said in the statement. "The tenor of the across-the-table discussions reflected a noteworthy level of mutual respect even in the face of strongly held competing positions. The parties met both in full committee and in the subcommittees where discrete, technical issues lent themselves to smaller groups."

more

-9fA

Yes, this thing needs a mediator. DeMaurice Smith is a union hard-liner and there are some owners that are just as hard on their side. A mediator was a vital part at some point in time.

I don't want to go off on a total threadjack but I wonder how much Smith's close ties to Obama may influence his position one way or another. Obama has really backed off on his support for the teachers' union in Wisconsin, Illinois and Indiana after his poll numbers took a big hit over the weekend. If Smith perceives those changing poll numbers to be a lack of overall support for unions, will he be less hard line? IDK

(Smith has been a long-time supporter of liberal Democrats and was a member of Obama's transition team. He also worked for one of the biggest lobbying firms in DC - very pro-union.)

i don't think Smith will be influenced by anything outside of these negotiations.
  • dj43

i don't think Smith will be influenced by anything outside of these negotiations.
Of course he shouldn't, for multiple reasons. A major reason is that union support right now is at a low point all across the country though the NFL CBA is a much different deal.

...now back to regular programming...
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
WASHINGTON -- As the NFL and NFL Players Association wrapped up seven consecutive days of mediation before George S. Cohen on Thursday at the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, the parties agreed to resume the process next Tuesday (March 1) at Cohen's behest.

Cohen released a statement Thursday saying the NFL and NFL Players Association were making progress in their talks but "very strong differences remain."

"I recommended and the parties have agreed to resume the mediation process in my office commencing next Tuesday (March 1)," Cohen said.

"I can report that throughout this extensive period the parties engaged in highly focused, constructive dialogue concerning a host of issues covering both economics and player-related conditions," Cohen said in the statement. "The tenor of the across-the-table discussions reflected a noteworthy level of mutual respect even in the face of strongly held competing positions. The parties met both in full committee and in the subcommittees where discrete, technical issues lent themselves to smaller groups."

more

-9fA

Also long as talks continue we will see progress. Good sign that they will continue mediation on Tuesday.
Originally posted by Esco:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

more

-9fA

Also long as talks continue we will see progress. Good sign that they will continue mediation on Tuesday.
Share 49ersWebzone