LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 336 users in the forums

The Dolphins MUST pay- Rooney Rule

Shop 49ers game tickets
I heard a rumor that they have already talked to someone from the Dolphine org. while Sparano is yet to be fired. lol
Even if the rule is out of place it would a put a smile on my face to see the Dolphins get punished for doing this
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
$500K + loss of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Rd. draft picks should be a good start.

Fixed.
that rule is ridiculous but in the fins-case i would consider a 5 mio. fine...and abolish the rule 1 month later
its almost more racist the fact that they get interviewed to be a head coach just because they are a minority....its dumb because most people arent even given a legit chance to be hired they are just being used to satisfy the requirements
Dolphins decide to retain Tony Sparano for 2011
http://twitter.com/#!/Jay_Glazer/status/23225623656800256

• vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Originally posted by jones49:
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
This rule is so dumb

I somewhat agree. I think now in 2011, very few if any are biased in the NFL. But even if 1 or 2 owners are biased, the rule is good.

If they have a bias opinion, then interviewing some minority isn't going to change it. They aren't going to magically change their opinions because they are forced to interview someone they don't want or may have a personal vendetta against because of their race.

If what you're saying was true then Russ Grimm would be the HC of the Steelers. But Tomlin had to be interviewed and blew them away.

I agree it tends to be a silly formality. But they're still on ly 6 out of 32 HCs that are not white. And since the Rooney Rule has been around multiple black HCs have been hired that might not have even been interviewed.

Most of the time it doesn't do anything. But it's worth it for the times that it does work.

But that's just my feeling on it.

You missed my point. If what I was saying pertained to the Steelers, they would have a white head coach simply because he is white. If there are any teams in the NFL with racist views(obviously not the Steelers), they will not hire a minority. The Rooney rule does nothing to change that. All it does is give someone a better opportunity in life and the NFL because of their color of skin. The good news is that's not racism in any way.

That's true but the rule is also designed to go beyond such blatant personal racism and also mitigate against institutional racism, as well as encourage the hiring of minorities to balance things out. Otherwise good candidates like Tomlin and Morris are overlooked.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
$500K + loss of 1st Rd. draft pick should be a good start.

this...and the pic is funny
That was what Mortenson said on the radio this afternoon. He mentioned draft picks in particular because the money, in the overall scheme of things, was no big deal. It had to include draft picks.

The league has already set a precedent of taking away a draft pick if teams violate a rule. This would be no surprise if they investigated this and IF they found Miami in violation, hit them with a high draft pick.
Originally posted by vaden:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Originally posted by jones49:
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
This rule is so dumb

I somewhat agree. I think now in 2011, very few if any are biased in the NFL. But even if 1 or 2 owners are biased, the rule is good.

If they have a bias opinion, then interviewing some minority isn't going to change it. They aren't going to magically change their opinions because they are forced to interview someone they don't want or may have a personal vendetta against because of their race.

If what you're saying was true then Russ Grimm would be the HC of the Steelers. But Tomlin had to be interviewed and blew them away.

I agree it tends to be a silly formality. But they're still on ly 6 out of 32 HCs that are not white. And since the Rooney Rule has been around multiple black HCs have been hired that might not have even been interviewed.

Most of the time it doesn't do anything. But it's worth it for the times that it does work.

But that's just my feeling on it.

You missed my point. If what I was saying pertained to the Steelers, they would have a white head coach simply because he is white. If there are any teams in the NFL with racist views(obviously not the Steelers), they will not hire a minority. The Rooney rule does nothing to change that. All it does is give someone a better opportunity in life and the NFL because of their color of skin. The good news is that's not racism in any way.

That's true but the rule is also designed to go beyond such blatant personal racism and also mitigate against institutional racism, as well as encourage the hiring of minorities to balance things out. Otherwise good candidates like Tomlin and Morris are overlooked.

The rule may have been intended to do beyond blantant personal racism - but the rule itself is actually MORE racist and biased than any hiring or not hiring of coaches has ever been. Any time you give someone an advantage or special treatment based on race alone - that is racial discrimination.
Originally posted by global_nomad:

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

The fact that they made an offer to Harbaugh while a HC was still under contract, they should be deducted a draft pick.
Well they didn't follow through with the hire and they didn't follow through with the firing on the other end either. So quite frankly I don't see what they did wrong? Take a plane trip across the country and talk to somebody?

And BTW like others said the rule is dumb. Owners can hire who they want. If they don't want the guy they just do "TOKEN interviews" anyway. And who does that benefit?
Originally posted by Kolohe:

The fact that they made an offer to Harbaugh while a HC was still under contract, they should be deducted a draft pick.

Completely agree. The fact that the NFL hasn't said anything about this is ridiculous.
Although what they did was in poor taste, I don't think they broke any rules. Skirted them, yes. But didn't actually violate them.

I believe the Rooney states that they must interview at least one minority candidate before hiring a Head Coach. The rule doesn't say that they have to interview a minority first. They can do it in any order they wish.

Now if it can be proven that they offered Harbaugh the gig (and indications are they did), then they are in violation and should be punished as such.

But knowing Goodell, he'd likely just fine their billionaire owner $50,000 and call it a day.
I have to be honest, it does seem like a strange rule from this distance. But the point is, it is a rule. It was put in place for what seemed like good reasons and most of the teams comply. If you allow one or two franchises to ignore it then it falls into disuse. And that would be wrong.

If a rule is wrong or unnecessary it should be formally withdrawn. Allowing one rule to fall into disuse simply encourages powerful franchises to ignore other, possibly more important rules.
Share 49ersWebzone