LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 251 users in the forums

The Dolphins MUST pay- Rooney Rule

Shop 49ers game tickets
I'm pissed. The Dolphins totally ignored the Rooney Rule. I guess their billionaire owner is willing to pay the $500, 000 fine in order to win the HARBAUGH sweepstakes.

The Commish should make them pay for this!!!

Who else wants to see the Dolphins suffer???!!!

What do you think the punishment should be? It's got to be STIFF this time around in order to deter billionaires from cheating again.... maybe loss of draft picks?

$500K + loss of 1st Rd. draft pick should be a good start.
This rule is so dumb
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
This rule is so dumb
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrg:
This rule is so dumb
Originally posted by 23zack80:
This rule is so dumb

I somewhat agree. I think now in 2011, very few if any are biased in the NFL. But even if 1 or 2 owners are biased, the rule is good.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,500 for DVDA.
Originally posted by jones49:
This rule is so dumb

I somewhat agree. I think now in 2011, very few if any are biased in the NFL. But even if 1 or 2 owners are biased, the rule is good.

If they have a bias opinion, then interviewing some minority isn't going to change it. They aren't going to magically change their opinions because they are forced to interview someone they don't want or may have a personal vendetta against because of their race.
This rule is so dumb

If they have a bias opinion, then interviewing some minority isn't going to change it. They aren't going to magically change their opinions because they are forced to interview someone they don't want or may have a personal vendetta against because of their race.

If what you're saying was true then Russ Grimm would be the HC of the Steelers. But Tomlin had to be interviewed and blew them away.

I agree it tends to be a silly formality. But they're still on ly 6 out of 32 HCs that are not white. And since the Rooney Rule has been around multiple black HCs have been hired that might not have even been interviewed.

Most of the time it doesn't do anything. But it's worth it for the times that it does work.

But that's just my feeling on it.
This rule is so dumb

agreed. owners will now take advantage of this loop hole and will fork out fines to get their men. shame what was initially put forth as a good rule has now been twisted and bend back to benefit coward ass owners.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
The rule is, if anything, counter-productive, but the team that breaks it has a potential advantage in terms of hiring faster, just like Miami is doing now. Fining an owner $500k when he's worth billions would be a joke. Has to be a top draft pick, but it won't because Goodell reserves his iron fist for the players (Lord Favre excluded)

• vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
This rule is so dumb

If what you're saying was true then Russ Grimm would be the HC of the Steelers. But Tomlin had to be interviewed and blew them away.

I agree it tends to be a silly formality. But they're still on ly 6 out of 32 HCs that are not white. And since the Rooney Rule has been around multiple black HCs have been hired that might not have even been interviewed.

Most of the time it doesn't do anything. But it's worth it for the times that it does work.

Interesting. I wasn't aware that's how Tomlin got hired. I've always just assumed the rule was for appearances, but if it's actually helped then I'm all for it.
Originally posted by vaden:
This rule is so dumb

Interesting. I wasn't aware that's how Tomlin got hired. I've always just assumed the rule was for appearances, but if it's actually helped then I'm all for it.

I think Rahim Morris was another guy that just really nailed his 'token' interview, ended up getting the job, and has turned out to be really successful.

Even Singletary got on the radar as a HC candidate because of his Rooney Rule interviews. Of course, that didn't end as well....

And who knows, I would not be shocked if we ended up stealing Hue Jackson away from the Raiders because of how well he interviewed with us when we were just fulfilling our Rooney obligations, while expecting to sign Harbaugh.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
$500K + loss of 1st Rd. draft pick should be a good start.

this...and the pic is funny
The rule is dumb and it makes all the minority looks bad.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
This rule is so dumb

You missed my point. If what I was saying pertained to the Steelers, they would have a white head coach simply because he is white. If there are any teams in the NFL with racist views(obviously not the Steelers), they will not hire a minority. The Rooney rule does nothing to change that. All it does is give someone a better opportunity in life and the NFL because of their color of skin. The good news is that's not racism in any way.
Share 49ersWebzone