LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Could Al Davis make a run at Harbaugh ?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • evil
  • Veteran
Quote:
Former Raiders assistant coach and current Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh, brother of Ravens coach John Harbaugh, told the San Jose Mercury News that he would listen if Raiders owner Al Davis called.

“I talk to Mr. Davis now and then,” Harbaugh told the paper. “I love talking to him. I consider him a mentor, and it was always special every time he would pull me aside with the Raiders or call me on the phone. He’s the best. Nobody can talk football like Mr. Davis. Every time I talk to him, I always glean something about football.”

Then asked what he would do if Davis called to talk about the Raiders coaching job, Harbaugh said, “I’ll always take a call from Mr. Davis.”

So there’s one more candidate — a logical candidate — for the Raiders.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/10/15/harbaugh-keeping-his-ringer-on-high/

From Mort :

Quote:
RT @Raiders3023: @mortreport Does Hue Jackson take over? >> Some expect a dance with Harbaugh, too

Michael Smith :

Quote:
@MrMichael_Smith: I know there's the whole Al Davis thing, but keep in mind he worked for him b4, so what's the better Bay Area gig for Harbaugh? OAK or SF?

49ers fans should consider Al Davis a threat to make a run and have a legit chance at Harbaugh should AD decide he wants in on the Harbaugh sweepstakes. Al likes Harbaugh and vice versa. Crucify me if you choose but don't overlook Harbaugh staying in the Bay Area and it not being SF or Stanford if an offer is made.

[ Edited by KRS-1 on Jan 5, 2011 at 11:31:11 ]
At his age, Al Davis couldn't make a run at anyone.
I mean as bad as we've been, the Raiders franchise is worse because of Davis.
Sure Al Davis could try...but comparing the two organizations, who in their right mind would HC in Oakland if given better choices? Harbaugh is going to SF or elsewhere, definitely not to Oakland.

[ Edited by mcbaes72 on Jan 5, 2011 at 11:48:45 ]
what did al do with the last young gun HC that they had?

that building aint big enough for those two egos
  • mod
  • Veteran
if Harbaugh is stupid enough to join the raiders then I dont want him.
Would Harbaugh be willing to be a puppet of Al Davis?
No, he won't do it. Jackson took one of the worst offenses in the league to rank #10 in yards. Davis would be dumb to let that walk away.
Originally posted by Joecool:
No, he won't do it. Jackson took one of the worst offenses in the league to rank #10 in yards. Davis would be dumb to let that walk away.

True. But we're talking about Al Davis here. Cable should've been fired last year after what...5 or 6 wins and attacking an asst. coach. Their streak of double-digit losses finally ended and they even went undefeated in their own division and Cable got fired. Davis seems to do things back-a$$wards and even Lechler called him out on his idiocy.
Originally posted by Joecool:

The typical Al Davis thing to do would be to hire Harbaugh, and force Jackson to be his OC. Al just loves to meddle with his HC's coordinators like he's the HC himself.

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by modninerfan:
if Harbaugh is stupid enough to join the raiders then I dont want him.

How is it stupid to work for a man you admire and that you call a mentor ? Al Davidss may be a little out there, but it would be a chance to stay in the Bay and restore a once proud franchise for Harbaugh. I think Harbaugh's legacy would be greater if he could restore the Raiders then if he restored the 49ers, just my 2 cents.

I would rather we sign Harbaugh obviously (even though he wasn't at the top of my wish list), however Harbaugh has worked for Davis before so he is already somewhat familiar with what working for Al Davis is all about.
Al would have to give Harbaugh about 10 million per year and part ownership for him to coach in Oakland. I doubt that any coach with options would ever go there. The only coaches that Davis can attract anymore are those with limited appeal elsewhere and no HC experience. I'd say there is about .0000000000000000000000001% chance of Harbaugh going to the Raiders.
nobody cares
Seems like a legit possibility to me. Plus he's familiar with what it takes to work with Al. Folks in here talking like the Niners job is light years ahead of the Raiders. They seem pretty similar to me talent wise.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
No. Lately Raider head coaches have been the lowest paid in the league.
Share 49ersWebzone