There are 264 users in the forums

The **OFFICIAL** Cam Newton Bandwagon!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Yea, I can understand why it is a concern, but to me - the upside he has and the kind of year he had makes him a legitimate top 5 pick.

Just too much of a project. These teams in the top 10 need help all over. I can't see them wanting to restrict and mold their offense in 2011 for a QB that's really gonna need a couple years before stepping in and being competent. Too many red flags on this guy, but hey, some team probably will drop their shorts for his potential. I actually hope it happens, as that would push a better option down to SF.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
$cam "dumbarse" Newton isn't worth a top 10, much less a trade to move up for him.

Harbaugh prizes intelligence at the QB position. Get a clue.

in a normal draft he wouldnt be this is a weak qb class so he is " top 10" if this was next year he would go in bottom of first round

If he had 2 years of SEC football under his belt - he'd be locked in for a no.1 pick.

i dont question that but he only had 1 great year im just saying if he had that year in next ncaa season then he would be a bottom first round pick at the moment with what he did in ncaa he isnt worth a top 10 pick in a decent qb draft class but this is a weak qb class

I don't know man. Bradford had 1 great year too. So, did Sanchez. I don't think these things matter that much. Yea, I can understand why it is a concern, but to me - the upside he has and the kind of year he had makes him a legitimate top 5 pick.

i always wnodered why sanchez went early but bradford was just solid all around i agree with you on cam though his upside potential is off the charts potential superstar but unlike what we did to alex he has to be eased in the roll which is why i think he ends up in buffalo they'll start fitz this year cam next year

We can easily keep Alex Smith and play Cam as a wild-cat QB in certain situations. I personally think Cam can be a decent QB by next Fall.

Cam has won at every level, those kind of QBs usually do well at the NFL level as well.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Yea, I can understand why it is a concern, but to me - the upside he has and the kind of year he had makes him a legitimate top 5 pick.

Just too much of a project. These teams in the top 10 need help all over. I can't see them wanting to restrict and mold their offense in 2011 for a QB that's really gonna need a couple years before stepping in and being competent. Too many red flags on this guy, but hey, some team probably will drop their shorts for his potential. I actually hope it happens, as that would push a better option down to SF.

QBs are supposed to be projects. It's not like we're going to be winning a Superbowl in the next couple years. If we get a chance, might as well get a QB who knows how to win.

QBs are supposed to be projects. It's not like we're going to be winning a Superbowl in the next couple years. If we get a chance, might as well get a QB who knows how to win.

Knows how to win at the college level. Know who else knew how to win at the college level? Yeah... don't think I need to say his name.

No, Cam is a huge project that didn't have to learn to read defenses. He also had huge windows to throw into, thanks to his running. Well, Cam ain't Mike Vick and that won't be an advantage as much in the NFL. Big project and has character concerns to boot.

So that's it from me on this. We'll agree to disagree, and move on. But I'd be SHOCKED if someone like Harbaugh had even a slight interest in someone like Cam. Doesn't take a genius to see Cam's just a lesser pocket-passer than V.Y. was, and is pretty much as intellectually challenged.

Exactly. Teams that draft QBs with the intention of starting them right away and expecting success, will likely continue to pick in the top 10. Very few can step right in and carry a team or even be highly functional in the first year. The Bradfords and Ryans of the world are the exception, not the rule.

Even the highly touted Mark Sanchez had a miserable rookie year statistically-speaking (and didn't exactly light up the NFL in his second season either). For the most part, Qbs take time, and bad teams get into trouble when they rush their rookie QBs into action. So there's nothing wrong with drafting a Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder or whomever, and letting him sit for a year or even 2. Just get a competent vet to lead the way during that time and let the rookie learn.
Mike Mayock graded him a C on NFLTA based on his BCS game.

What QB isnt a project? Peyton was the last pro ready QB to play NFL. Why does the term "project" always get labeled on gimmicky offensive style college qb's? Vick and McNabb came from these gimmicky college offenses and played sparingly in their rookie years, and both took their teams to the playoffs their second year as full time starters. Enough of the he needs a couple of years.

Look if a kid has it....he has it. There is a reason why everyone is drooling about Cam. He has it. He showed it on 2 different levels...who really cares if he played one year in the SEC? Sanchez played one full year at SC? He aint doing bad now...and he didnt show near to what Cam has shown.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:

based on the one game where he led his team to a title after a month of idle time? Where he threw 20/34 265 yards and 2 TDs while playing hurt in the 2nd half? Really you haters keep hatin...its hilarious.

OK...thanks...
I'm getting more on the bandwagon
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

based on the one game where he led his team to a title after a month of idle time? Where he threw 20/34 265 yards and 2 TDs while playing hurt in the 2nd half? Really you haters keep hatin...its hilarious.

OK...thanks...

dude calm down I was just posting what Mayock said. I think he is going to be a huge disappointment anyways so I could care less.

Originally posted by RonMexico:
I'm getting more on the bandwagon

I am just sitting here watching people jump on it and when it takes off I will still be standing on the ground smiling, waving, and saying "have a good trip".

OK...thanks...

dude calm down I was just posting what Mayock said. I think he is going to be a huge disappointment anyways so I could care less.

Save your disappointment for Quinn
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

OK...thanks...

Save your disappointment for Quinn

I am leaning more towards Bowers at this point. I think Quinn could be a good pro prospect. The draft is full of surprises every year so who knows.
He'll be a Vince Young or Tim Tebow at best

In other words, hes gonna be a bust
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:
He'll be a Vince Young or Tim Tebow at best

In other words, hes gonna be a bust

Which is why at least 6 teams already have him rated as the best player in the draft before the interviews, combine, workouts, and breakin' down more film.

Cam Newton is already much further along as a pocket passer than Young or Tebow were after playing in college for couple years.

The biggest attribute to Cam Newton is - how quickly he has adapted, how hard he works, and how every team-mate of his saw him as a leader.

In the right system with enough patience, Cam Newton will be a stud.
Share 49ersWebzone