There are 158 users in the forums

OFFICIAL Blaine Gabbert Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Gabbert is the most overrated QB I have seen in a long time, i haven't seen one thing from him to make me think he is a first round QB.
Originally posted by SourdoughDan:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Pintor63:
not worth a number 7 maybe if we traded with san diego at 17 and they gave us vincent jackson and at least a 3rd pick

QBs are always valued higher than their true worth (especially ones with size/arm strength/mobility/accuracy), so #7 is not too high for someone like Gabbert. If this is the route we went, I would trust Harbaugh to not only work with Gabbert and show him how to be an NFL QB, but to create and offense that leverages his very obvious skills and talents (much like he did with Luck at Stanford, who was rated behind Gabbert coming out of high school).

My preference would be to go pass rush here, but if Gabbert is here, I have no problem taking him.

What do you like about Gabbert? And if he maxes out his potential who would you compare him to?

I've seen him play in 3 entire games this year (not just YouTube highlight videos), so I'm not an expert on the kid, but this is what I've seen:

Positives
~Prototypical modern NFL QB (6'5", 240, rocket-arm with escapability)
~Strong and decisive in the pocket; keeps his eyes up
~Can make EVERY throw with touch and accuracy
~Has a very quick release (not hitch or windup at all)
~Throws timing/crossing routes (a staple of the WCO) with excellent accuracy
~Throws the deep-out on a line (frozen ropes where only his WR can catch it)
~Mobility similar to Aaron Rodgers
~Tough; able and willing to play through injury
~Leader on the field
~Seems like the perfect WCO QB

Negatives
~When throwing downfield, if his man isn't open, he tucks and runs too quickly
~Makes too many bad decisions on read-options (when to hand off; when to keep)
~Good runner, but not exactly difficult to bring down
~Doesn't get enough air under the deep ball
~Tries to make every play; needs to learn when to throw the ball away
~Spread offense in college with very limited reads
~Will likely take a good year or more of sitting/learning before he can make an impact

After intense scrutiny by NFL personnel types and draft experts, Gabbert will emerge as the consensus #1 QB in the draft, and likely a top 10-15 pick. And if he falls to us at #7, I don't see us being able to pass on him knowing we have a former QB as a head coach (as opposed to offensive idiots like NowinDingleberry).

I've mentioned this before, but I think with the proper coaching, offensive system and players around him, he could be as good or better than Aaron Rodgers. Now, people might laugh about that right now...but they forget that Rodgers was passed up by every team in the draft until GB grabbed him 24th overall. Meaning, they didn't think he was worthy of a 1st round pick either, but after sitting and watching for a few years, being in the right system with an offensive-minded coach, and with the right weapons around him, he's now on the verge of winning a world championship.

Btw, don't confuse what I'm writing with me WANTING us to draft him. I'd rather go pass rush and get a QB later. But I also know there's a lot to like about Gabbert, if you're willing to be patient with him.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 30, 2011 at 16:48:22 ]
If Gabbert has a good combine, which based on his tangibles - he probably will, then his stock will rise and he'll be taken in the top 5. Rendering this thread entirely moot.

Bummer - I'd love us to draft Gabbert.
gabbert reminds me of alex smith in how the way he leaves after his jr yr to cash out on a weak qb draft class, also coming out of the spread
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Draft Gabbert!!!!
If Von Miller isnt available.......then Im down.
The Gabbert Phoenix is already beginning to rise....

Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
The Gabbert Phoenix is already beginning to rise....

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
gabbert reminds me of alex smith in how the way he leaves after his jr yr to cash out on a weak qb draft class, also coming out of the spread

Err, didn't spread QB Sam Bradford do just the same? I suppose you would have picked Clauson over Bradford using that logic?

I agree, although his game reminds me of Alex Smith. Except he was less accurate in his last season than Alex Smith was. Oh, and if the rumors are true, has a much lower work ethic as well. Pass for me.

Originally posted by DraftaQB:

Err, didn't spread QB Sam Bradford do just the same? I suppose you would have picked Clauson over Bradford using that logic?

Uh... Sam Bradford was a 70% thrower as a redshirt freshman. Not really the same boat if you ask me.
Blaine Gabbert.....
I was reading a Mizzou Tiger forum, and NONE of the fans there thought Gabbert was a spread quarterback. Most agreed that he was best suited for a pro style offense
Originally posted by Papa_bear_21:
Originally posted by DraftaQB:

Uh... Sam Bradford was a 70% thrower as a redshirt freshman. Not really the same boat if you ask me.

I think you missed the point - FredFlinstone was using the theory that because Gabbert played in the spread in college he was going to end up a bust like Alex.
Your 70% point is valid, however it doesn't ad any ammo to the point that spread QBs can't make it in the NFL.
Gabbert may or may not become a decent pro - but it will be down to him and not down to the offense he ran in college.
This guy has gotten a boost in stock due to arm strength and Todd McShay on his nuts. His accuracy, footwork, and throwing mechanics are all 5th round material. But yet, he has an amazing arm and all these internet scouts think this guy is the next coming.

I predict a Jevan Snead-type fall for him. The more the teams evaluate the tape, they'll see that he is all arm and nothing else. He'll be very lucky to have a Jay Cutler-like career.
Share 49ersWebzone