LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 205 users in the forums

OFFICIAL Blaine Gabbert Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dlance:
Blaine Gabbert has a good arm. he can run. he has nice tools for playing Qb in the NFL. what worries me about him is he never was asked to read the defense like he will need to in the NFL. Because he is in the spread He dosn't have read the defenses in the spread. He reads One WR or Half the Defenses, and YES that is what Alex Smith did in collage too. can he adjust to a pro style???

lol..you read defenses in the spread dude

just because you're in the spread doesn't mean you completely not pay attention to defensive formations
  • jrg
  • Veteran

• jrg
  • Veteran
double post

[ Edited by jrg on Jan 6, 2011 at 21:44:15 ]
Originally posted by jrg:
Blaine Gabbert has a good arm. he can run. he has nice tools for playing Qb in the NFL. what worries me about him is he never was asked to read the defense like he will need to in the NFL. Because he is in the spread He dosn't have read the defenses in the spread. He reads One WR or Half the Defenses, and YES that is what Alex Smith did in collage too. can he adjust to a pro style???

just because you're in the spread doesn't mean you completely not pay attention to defensive formations

Yes but its different reads. I played in a spread offense for a 4A state championship contending high school, and I can tell you first hand that the reads and progressions of a spread offense are very basic
UnAccurate System Qb
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by spizzy:

Yes but its different reads. I played in a spread offense for a 4A state championship contending high school, and I can tell you first hand that the reads and progressions of a spread offense are very basic

im very familiar w/ a spread offense myself and i can tell you that i read plenty of defenses...you're not a qb if you don't read the defense...regardless of what formation you play in...im still laughing at the out of shape stuff though...theres a reason this guy is going to be a top 5 pick.
"One personnel boss thought Gabbert could end up the first overall selection. Physically and as an athlete, he's very similar to Alex Smith (first overall, 2005). He will also have to transition from a spread system to a pro-style offense, like Smith. His arm strength and quick release are more similar to Joe Flacco, however, which may allow him to have more success than Smith has had with the 49ers over the past six seasons.

In fact, when I brought the Luck-Smith comparison up to that source, he said he liked Gabbert better than Smith because he can "throw it all around the park!"

link
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Step 1: Bring in Jim Harbaugh. CHECK

Step 2: Draft Blaine Gabbert and start him at QB.

Step 3: Profit

I never was a QB and I never palyed in the spread but The reads are not the same as they are in a pro style O. many of the reads are of half the field or of only 1 WR

and I'm not trying to say he is not going to be a good QB. all I'm saying is make sure he can learn to drop back and make the right reads in a pro offense.

[ Edited by dlance on Jan 7, 2011 at 14:28:02 ]
Todd McShay think that he is way underrated and that he is going to be a franchise QB.

Athletic instincts and accuracy...

Does he fit?
Originally posted by ninertico:
Athletic instincts and accuracy...

Does he fit?

I can only infer from this and other comments about his accuracy in this thread that those posting did not watch Gabbert play last season against Nebraska, and especially against Texas Tech. He appeared to be playing dramatically worse this past season than the year before, when he had better receivers but was more banged up.
I've seen next to nothing of this guy, but I'll be damned if a guy named Blaine Gabbert ever becomes a great QB. You gotta have the great look and great name.

Johnny Unitas, Jim Kelly, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Peyton Manning,....Blaine Gabbert?
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
I'm not high on Gabbert from what I've seen so far (some videos/stats).

Pros:
Very good arm and accuracy in shotgun
Played in decent conference (I think)

Cons
Play spread and shotgun.
Stats are average for a pass happy spread offense
Slow-footed and may lose his accuracy while dropping back from center or when rolling out
Originally posted by DangerousG:
I've seen next to nothing of this guy, but I'll be damned if a guy named Blaine Gabbert ever becomes a great QB. You gotta have the great look and great name.

Johnny Unitas, Jim Kelly, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Peyton Manning,....Blaine Gabbert?

Elisha Manning
Share 49ersWebzone