LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 391 users in the forums

OFFICIAL Blaine Gabbert Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:

The reality is Blaine Gabbert is a 1st round prospect who possesses all the physical tools to make it, has a higher ceiling than the Stanzi's and Ponder's of this class. Your eyes may tell you different and you are entitled to your opinion but if you are going to knock Gabbert at least pick on his true weaknesses instead of trying to knock him for ludicrous reasoning and be logical and objective with your posts and "evaluations".

I'm not debating whether or not Gabbert is considered a 1st round prospect by many draft pundits. What i'm saying is, based on the multiples games of his i've seen AND his lack of production (more-so his REGRESSION in statistics from his sophomore to his jr year) i don't personally see how you can consider him a franchise quarterback. He just doesn't IMO, have that "it" factor that all great qb's have.

Isn't it worrisome to any of you Gabbert supporters that he didn't have any college preseason credentials? What i mean is, it seems like all this Gabbert hype has come from nowhere. Is he a first round talent only because Luck went back to school? Because it's certainly not based on anything he did on the field or in big games. Measurable and college stats only get you so far in the NFL. You must have "it" to be a franchise qb.

Also, why does Gabbert have a higher ceiling than Christian Ponder???? Explain that to me. Higher than Stanzi i can understand, but explain the Ponder side of your statement.

Shouldn't Ponder's regression be of concern ? He threw for fewer yards, a lower YPA, and his completion % dropped off.

Gabbert also has to be looked at as a junior, thus he has a year less experience starting thank Ponder yet he has shown that he possesses better physical tools and intangibles than Ponder has with a year more. Again compare his stats to those of Eli Manning as a JR., they are comparable, one could even say they are even comparable to Aaron Rodgers stats as a junior.

Gabbert would have been best served by staying for his senior year, which is why I believe any team that drafts him would be best off to sit him for his first year in the league so that he can be brought along slowly and developed by his coaches.

You can talk about "it" all you want, but it is hard to take you seriously when looking at your big board and where you rank the QB's....it makes one wonder if you know what "it" is or if you are simply throwing it out there as a means for what you assume makes a logical point.

The guy played through an elbow injury that was swollen the size of his upper leg! The fact he put up the numbers he did just goes to show how great Ponder is and how much better he can be when healthy! Example: Sr. Bowl MVP and great Combine performance. Also, Ponder had 20 td's this year. His previous high was 14. But we'll just ignore that stat so it makes your argument stronger.

What examples of better physical tools and intangibles are you talking about? That's YOUR opinion.

All the jr year qb's you're comparing Gabbert too all played in pro style offenses so of course their stats are going to be different. They didn't have 5 different wrs to throw to on any given play like Gabbert did. Also, Manning played in the SEC where he faced top defenses every week. Can't say the same for Gabbert.

My Big Board is a ranking of where i see players being a few years down the road. It's not where i think they'll be drafted. It's how i believe they'll turn out as pro's. If you don't understand that by now then you're hopelessly confused.

The reality is Blaine Gabbert is a 1st round prospect who possesses all the physical tools to make it, has a higher ceiling than the Stanzi's and Ponder's of this class. Your eyes may tell you different and you are entitled to your opinion but if you are going to knock Gabbert at least pick on his true weaknesses instead of trying to knock him for ludicrous reasoning and be logical and objective with your posts and "evaluations".

I'm not debating whether or not Gabbert is considered a 1st round prospect by many draft pundits. What i'm saying is, based on the multiples games of his i've seen AND his lack of production (more-so his REGRESSION in statistics from his sophomore to his jr year) i don't personally see how you can consider him a franchise quarterback. He just doesn't IMO, have that "it" factor that all great qb's have.

Isn't it worrisome to any of you Gabbert supporters that he didn't have any college preseason credentials? What i mean is, it seems like all this Gabbert hype has come from nowhere. Is he a first round talent only because Luck went back to school? Because it's certainly not based on anything he did on the field or in big games. Measurable and college stats only get you so far in the NFL. You must have "it" to be a franchise qb.

Also, why does Gabbert have a higher ceiling than Christian Ponder???? Explain that to me. Higher than Stanzi i can understand, but explain the Ponder side of your statement.

Shouldn't Ponder's regression be of concern ? He threw for fewer yards, a lower YPA, and his completion % dropped off.

Gabbert also has to be looked at as a junior, thus he has a year less experience starting thank Ponder yet he has shown that he possesses better physical tools and intangibles than Ponder has with a year more. Again compare his stats to those of Eli Manning as a JR., they are comparable, one could even say they are even comparable to Aaron Rodgers stats as a junior.

Gabbert would have been best served by staying for his senior year, which is why I believe any team that drafts him would be best off to sit him for his first year in the league so that he can be brought along slowly and developed by his coaches.

You can talk about "it" all you want, but it is hard to take you seriously when looking at your big board and where you rank the QB's....it makes one wonder if you know what "it" is or if you are simply throwing it out there as a means for what you assume makes a logical point.

The guy played through an elbow injury that was swollen the size of his upper leg! The fact he put up the numbers he did just goes to show how great Ponder is and how much better he can be when healthy! Example: Sr. Bowl MVP and great Combine performance. Also, Ponder had 20 td's this year. His previous high was 14. But we'll just ignore that stat so it makes your argument stronger.

What examples of better physical tools and intangibles are you talking about? That's YOUR opinion.

All the jr year qb's you're comparing Gabbert too all played in pro style offenses so of course their stats are going to be different. They didn't have 5 different wrs to throw to on any given play like Gabbert did. Also, Manning played in the SEC where he faced top defenses every week. Can't say the same for Gabbert.

My Big Board is a ranking of where i see players being a few years down the road. It's not where i think they'll be drafted. It's how i believe they'll turn out as pro's. If you don't understand that by now then you're hopelessly confused.

The position that Gabbert has better physical tools than Ponder isn't just his opinion...it's everyone else's opinion too. McShay, Kiper, Mayock, etc., not to mention Ponder's own Mom and Dad. If you like Ponder more, that's fine...I don't necessarily disagree...but you ruin the validity of your argument when you make the claim that Ponder is in the same ballpark as Gabbert in terms of size and arm strength.

Doesn't it concern you that Ponder feasted on unranked opponents, but really struggled against ranked teams? I'm sure it doesn't, because you likely have a snappy reply pre-made for such a disconcerting stat. Still, I'd love to hear it:

Quote:
Ponder - 2010 opponents stats
Ranked teams - 4 games, 51.7%, 5.6 YPA, 2 TDs, 3 Ints, 99.24 passer rating
Unranked teams - 8 games, 65.4%, 7.4 YPA, 18 TDs, 5 Ints, 150.88 passer rating

On the other hand, Gabbert was amazingly consistent in his play regardless of the competition (to the point where his passer rating was exactly the same against ranked and unranked opponents, unlike the noticeable drop in performance from Ponder).

Quote:
Gabbert - 2010 opponents stats
Ranked teams - 3 games, 60.3%, 6.6 YPA, 5 TDs, 1 Int, 127.04 passer rating
Unranked teams - 10 games, 64.5%, 6.7 YPA, 11 TDs, 8 Ints, 127.04 passer rating

They even have a common opponent, the highly ranked (at the time) Oklahoma sooners...Ponder had one of his worst games of the season (39.3%, 0 TDs, 2 Ints, 58.6 passer rating) and lost to OU, while Gabbert played one of his better games and beat the Sooners (71.4%, 1 TD, 0 Ints, 140.89 passer rating).

So again, does it concern you at all that Ponder tore up unranked teams and got the majority of his major production against that level of competition, but really stunk it up against the better teams he played?
Originally posted by PloomDG:

The position that Gabbert has better physical tools than Ponder isn't just his opinion...it's everyone else's opinion too. McShay, Kiper, Mayock, etc., not to mention Ponder's own Mom and Dad. If you like Ponder more, that's fine...I don't necessarily disagree...but you ruin the validity of your argument when you make the claim that Ponder is in the same ballpark as Gabbert in terms of size and arm strength.

Physical tools are defined as arm strength and size according to you.

Arm Strength: I agree that Gabbert has a stronger arm than Ponder. No question. But how important is that strong arm when it lands 10yds out of bounds? Or when it comes in at poor trajectories (as even Ghost has said "Doesn't throw a great deep ball (not enough arch; too straight of a trajectory)"). Ponder can throw a nice deep ball as shown at the combine. Very accurate with it. He might have the best deep ball touch after Cam Newton in this draft.

Size: Yes. Gabbert is taller. By 2 inches. But, one of my issues with Gabbert's size is that he doesn't utilize it. He has too much bend in his stance and delivery. It negates his length by a good 4-6 inches. Even Ghost supports this opinion, "Doesn't sit tall in the pocket". Also, lets not pretend that Ponder isn't well built. The guy is a yoked 229lbs. Only 5lbs lighter than Gabbert who has 2 extra inches on him.

So yes, while Gabbert does have a stronger arm and has a more size, when you look closely to compare the 2, there isn't really an advantage for Gabbert over Ponder.

So lets then go to the Combine measurable's.

Gabbert did have a faster 40 time. I'll give ya that. But how often does a qb run 40 yds? They usually run in the 10-20 yard range. So who had a faster 10 and 20 yard split? Wait for it... Christian Ponder. So, i think we'll have to give the nod to Ponder in the speed category. Not that it's really all that important in the NFL for qb's.

Vert Jump. Not really all that important, but Ponder edged out Gabbert here. So clearly Ponder can jump over piles of lineman better than Gabbert, haha.

Broad Jump. Gabbert got him on this one. Maybe that means he's better suited to leap for a first down? IDK.

20 yd shuttle. Ponder blew away Gabbert in this one. 4.09 to 4.26.

3 cone drill. Gabbert beat out Ponder by a time of 6.84 to 6.85. Not even close, right?

SO with all this info, are Gabbert's physical tools really any better than Ponders? The combine says, no. But hey, you just keep listening to all those draft pundits. The hell with using your own brain to formulate your own opinion!

All this info brought to us courtesy of NFLDRAFTSCOUT
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Doesn't it concern you that Ponder feasted on unranked opponents, but really struggled against ranked teams? I'm sure it doesn't, because you likely have a snappy reply pre-made for such a disconcerting stat. Still, I'd love to hear it:

Quote:

On the other hand, Gabbert was amazingly consistent in his play regardless of the competition (to the point where his passer rating was exactly the same against ranked and unranked opponents, unlike the noticeable drop in performance from Ponder).

Quote:

They even have a common opponent, the highly ranked (at the time) Oklahoma sooners...Ponder had one of his worst games of the season (39.3%, 0 TDs, 2 Ints, 58.6 passer rating) and lost to OU, while Gabbert played one of his better games and beat the Sooners (71.4%, 1 TD, 0 Ints, 140.89 passer rating).

So again, does it concern you at all that Ponder tore up unranked teams and got the majority of his major production against that level of competition, but really stunk it up against the better teams he played?

You said this about Gabbert:

"Terrible games against top competition in 2010 (Oklahoma being the exception)"

Now i agree, Ponder was not very good vs Oklahoma this year, but if you watched that game then you know the oline really sucked an egg in that game. And the defense didn't help the offense any.

Quote:

Quote:

Now i agree, Ponder was not very good vs Oklahoma this year, but if you watched that game then you know the oline really sucked an egg in that game. And the defense didn't help the offense any.

I was actually wrong about that. Gabbert played poorly against Nebraska (same reason you gave for Ponder's poor performance), but did very well against 19th ranked Texas A&M, and of course had an excellent game against the Sooners. So all-in-all, Gabbert was solid against both ranked and unranked teams.

Getting back to my question...does it trouble you that Ponder did outstanding against unranked teams (put up huge numbers), and was REALLY bad against the 4 ranked teams he faced?
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Starting to look like this guy will be long gone by pick 7, if so, at least it means there is a chance that P. Peterson is there.

Quote:

Quote:

I was actually wrong about that. Gabbert played poorly against Nebraska (same reason you gave for Ponder's poor performance), but did very well against 19th ranked Texas A&M, and of course had an excellent game against the Sooners. So all-in-all, Gabbert was solid against both ranked and unranked teams.

Getting back to my question...does it trouble you that Ponder did outstanding against unranked teams (put up huge numbers), and was REALLY bad against the 4 ranked teams he faced?

We talking about the same Christian Ponder? According to the box scores he only played vs 2 ranked teams this year (the other 2 Manuel was qb cuz Ponder was injured). And in those 2 he was no good vs Oklahoma (already established crap oline, oh and it was only his 2nd game back from his shoulder surgery.) and the other was against Mia in which he had his line: 12/21 173 8.2 2 1. Is that REALLY bad?

Then if we go back to 2009 before his shoulder injury he played 2 ranked teams. #7 BYU and #22 GT. He had these lines, respectively:

21/26 195 7.5 2 0

26/36 359 10.0 5 0

Those are pretty damn good number, no?

Am i missing something here?

Also, Gabbert played Nebraska in 2009 too. He stunk it up then as well.
17/43 134 3.1 0 2 Yikes, he does not like playing Nebraska.

Quote:

Quote:

the oline really sucked an egg--sounds like an alexscuse to me

Quote:

Quote:

We talking about the same Christian Ponder? According to the box scores he only played vs 2 ranked teams this year (the other 2 Manuel was qb cuz Ponder was injured). And in those 2 he was no good vs Oklahoma (already established crap oline, oh and it was only his 2nd game back from his shoulder surgery.) and the other was against Mia in which he had his line: 12/21 173 8.2 2 1. Is that REALLY bad?

Then if we go back to 2009 before his shoulder injury he played 2 ranked teams. #7 BYU and #22 GT. He had these lines, respectively:

21/26 195 7.5 2 0

26/36 359 10.0 5 0

yikrs--i think the niners open the season against nebraska this year

Quote:

Quote:

21/26 195 7.5 2 0

26/36 359 10.0 5 0

Hmmm, so now it's ok to go back to 2009 numbers to show how good a guy WAS, but when I did that with Gabbert, you called it....regression. Just be consistent in your arguments...is that really too much to ask?
I hate to butt in on the Swagg v Ghost debate here...Im a huge FSU fan. And the Noles had a great OL this past year. Not sure where you get the "established Crap Line" Comment. It was Ponder that has his mental mistakes at crucial times. OU was an abortion among other games in his career, that he cost the Noles crucial wins because of mental mistakes. Hope he can overcome those failings in the pros.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Hmmm, so now it's ok to go back to 2009 numbers to show how good a guy WAS, but when I did that with Gabbert, you called it....regression. Just be consistent in your arguments...is that really too much to ask?

It's also ok to slip in that his OL was crap but it is not OK to blame Gabbert's young and inexperienced supporting cast for his regression.
I just want to repeat what I said earlier.

I watched Gabbert play vs Texas Tech... and he SUCKED. 95 yards and no TDs in the loss to TTU. And he plays in a spread and STILL only got 95 yds...that is pitiful. He didn't get hurt and played all game...and Tech had one of the worst pass defenses in the country in 2010.

I have seen a lot of college QBs play live, and Gabbert doesn't compare with many of them.
Is his pro day today?
Share 49ersWebzone