There are 307 users in the forums

OFFICIAL Blaine Gabbert Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Best Combine Interviews from National Football Post

Quote:
Blaine Gabbert, Missouri quarterback. He took over the interview room and was the best interview among all the quarterbacks. Gabbert seemed like a natural leader, but he was so polished that one scout wondered how much of his presentation was the result of an interview coach.

Looks like Gabbert is wowing interviews like Mark Sanchez did.

Which means he won't be there at #7 and we have to pick somebody else.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrg:
DRAFT BLAINE GABBERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by communist:
i hope that harbaugh knows what he is doing...

If I remember correctly, a lot of people said that about Bill Walsh when he picked that skinny kid from Notre Dame in the 3rd round back in 1979, when nobody else was overly interested...or when he traded for that former 1st overall QB who was being labeled a bust in Tampa Bay after only 2 years there, going 3-16 as a starter.

Some people just have an eye for QBs, and they know how to develop them too. JH is one of those guys.
whatever, that doesnt mean that even the greatest coaches dont make any mistakes...

No kidding.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

The reality is Blaine Gabbert is a 1st round prospect who possesses all the physical tools to make it, has a higher ceiling than the Stanzi's and Ponder's of this class. Your eyes may tell you different and you are entitled to your opinion but if you are going to knock Gabbert at least pick on his true weaknesses instead of trying to knock him for ludicrous reasoning and be logical and objective with your posts and "evaluations".

I'm not debating whether or not Gabbert is considered a 1st round prospect by many draft pundits. What i'm saying is, based on the multiples games of his i've seen AND his lack of production (more-so his REGRESSION in statistics from his sophomore to his jr year) i don't personally see how you can consider him a franchise quarterback. He just doesn't IMO, have that "it" factor that all great qb's have.

Isn't it worrisome to any of you Gabbert supporters that he didn't have any college preseason credentials? What i mean is, it seems like all this Gabbert hype has come from nowhere. Is he a first round talent only because Luck went back to school? Because it's certainly not based on anything he did on the field or in big games. Measurable and college stats only get you so far in the NFL. You must have "it" to be a franchise qb.

Also, why does Gabbert have a higher ceiling than Christian Ponder???? Explain that to me. Higher than Stanzi i can understand, but explain the Ponder side of your statement.
[ Edited by SWAGG-ER on Mar 6, 2011 at 9:00 PM ]
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:

The reality is Blaine Gabbert is a 1st round prospect who possesses all the physical tools to make it, has a higher ceiling than the Stanzi's and Ponder's of this class. Your eyes may tell you different and you are entitled to your opinion but if you are going to knock Gabbert at least pick on his true weaknesses instead of trying to knock him for ludicrous reasoning and be logical and objective with your posts and "evaluations".

I'm not debating whether or not Gabbert is considered a 1st round prospect by many draft pundits. What i'm saying is, based on the multiples games of his i've seen AND his lack of production (more-so his REGRESSION in statistics from his sophomore to his jr year) i don't personally see how you can consider him a franchise quarterback. He just doesn't IMO, have that "it" factor that all great qb's have.

Isn't it worrisome to any of you Gabbert supporters that he didn't have any college preseason credentials? What i mean is, it seems like all this Gabbert hype has come from nowhere. Is he a first round talent only because Luck went back to school? Because it's certainly not based on anything he did on the field or in big games. Measurable and college stats only get you so far in the NFL. You must have "it" to be a franchise qb.

Also, why does Gabbert have a higher ceiling than Christian Ponder???? Explain that to me. Higher than Stanzi i can understand, but explain the Ponder side of your statement.
[ Edited by SWAGG-ER on Mar 6, 2011 at 8:59 PM ]

I am always fascinated by group think. While many here are intrigued with the idea of being able to draft Gabbert at #7, just for curiousity I checked on the two major Arizona fan forums, and NOBODY is talking Gabbert, Newton, or any QB when they draft at #5. They are hot on Peterson or Von Miller, and if they are gone, then the WRs Green and Jones. Interesting.
Originally posted by excelsior:
I am always fascinated by group think. While many here are intrigued with the idea of being able to draft Gabbert at #7, just for curiousity I checked on the two major Arizona fan forums, and NOBODY is talking Gabbert, Newton, or any QB when they draft at #5. They are hot on Peterson or Von Miller, and if they are gone, then the WRs Green and Jones. Interesting.

I believe group think has infected draft pundits regarding Gabbert and the new "julio over green cuz of a great combine" hype.
The hype on Gabbert is the same hype I remember on another spread guy we all know and "love."

I think, like any talented QB from a college spread offense (Gabbert, Tebow, Smith, etc) can eventually be a good QB in the league but we need IMPACT players that can start day 1. I wouldn't mind taking Gabbert (not at 7 though) but as long as we don't fvck him up and turn him into Alex 1.2 by throwing him out there, changing coaches and coordinators, etc.

Whatever we do...let's just do it right this time.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Shouldn't Ponder's regression be of concern ? He threw for fewer yards, a lower YPA, and his completion % dropped off.

Gabbert also has to be looked at as a junior, thus he has a year less experience starting thank Ponder yet he has shown that he possesses better physical tools and intangibles than Ponder has with a year more. Again compare his stats to those of Eli Manning as a JR., they are comparable, one could even say they are even comparable to Aaron Rodgers stats as a junior.

Gabbert would have been best served by staying for his senior year, which is why I believe any team that drafts him would be best off to sit him for his first year in the league so that he can be brought along slowly and developed by his coaches.

You can talk about "it" all you want, but it is hard to take you seriously when looking at your big board and where you rank the QB's....it makes one wonder if you know what "it" is or if you are simply throwing it out there as a means for what you assume makes a logical point.

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
The hype on Gabbert is the same hype I remember on another spread guy we all know and "love."

I think, like any talented QB from a college spread offense (Gabbert, Tebow, Smith, etc) can eventually be a good QB in the league but we need IMPACT players that can start day 1. I wouldn't mind taking Gabbert (not at 7 though) but as long as we don't fvck him up and turn him into Alex 1.2 by throwing him out there, changing coaches and coordinators, etc.

Whatever we do...let's just do it right this time.

If we want this franchise to become a perennial contender then we need to solve the QB issue first and foremost. It's more important than adding an impact player at any other position currently with pick 7. If Gabbert is there at 7 and we have him graded out as a top 10 pick then he should be the name we call before any other player that is sitting there on the board.
  • evil
  • Veteran

The likely answer is that Cards fans have been led to believe they will address the QB position by going after a veteran via trade or FA.

Shouldn't Ponder's regression be of concern ? He threw for fewer yards, a lower YPA, and his completion % dropped off.

Gabbert also has to be looked at as a junior, thus he has a year less experience starting thank Ponder yet he has shown that he possesses better physical tools and intangibles than Ponder has with a year more. Again compare his stats to those of Eli Manning as a JR., they are comparable, one could even say they are even comparable to Aaron Rodgers stats as a junior.

Gabbert would have been best served by staying for his senior year, which is why I believe any team that drafts him would be best off to sit him for his first year in the league so that he can be brought along slowly and developed by his coaches.

You can talk about "it" all you want, but it is hard to take you seriously when looking at your big board and where you rank the QB's....it makes one wonder if you know what "it" is or if you are simply throwing it out there as a means for what you assume makes a logical point.

Rational thought is a beautiful thing.
  • dj43

The likely answer is that Cards fans have been led to believe they will address the QB position by going after a veteran via trade or FA.

Or they realize that this year's class of QBs is not very good while the group of pass rushers are VERY good.

I fervently hope we don't take a QB at #7. In any other year, it could be well argued that none of the "name" QBs would be in the top 20 picks. I just don't see any of them that are in the same class with Bradford or some other legit early first round picks.

EDIT: I was just reading an article by Pat Kirwan about this year's QB group. Near the end of the article, he quoted a college scout who said that based on talent alone, none of the big names were better than a 3rd round pick. That is a bit extreme but it mirrors my sentiment.

In the end, that won't happen because with so many teams needing QBs, someone will reach and that will start a run and we will see three or four go in the top 10.
[ Edited by dj43 on Mar 7, 2011 at 11:51 AM ]
Part of the evaluation process centers on how Gabbert played against good college teams this season. Two of his better games were in the middle of the season, against Oklahoma and Texas A&M, who were solid opponents. I think this will be the core of what teams look at when evaluating him, as well as his play the week before against Colorado, and their two solid NFL corner prospects, Jimmy Smith and Jalil Brown. In these three games, he threw 6 TD's and O INT's, as well as posting gaudy QB ratings.

As for the following week against Nebraska, I think scouts will partially dismiss his individual performance since anyone who saw the game witnessed a train wreck of epic proportion taking place. It was an avalanche the Cornhuskers put on right away, (they scored 24 points in the first quarter) and I think the "throw-away" nature of the game will not be counted heavy against him.

In his final game, he put up terrific numbers, minus the two interceptions, against a pretty good Iowa defense.

Finally, as we all know, the numbers themselves are only part of the picture. The other part is football intelligence, arm strength, leadership skills, coachability, maturity, size. And, Gabbert appears to be terrific across the board in all catagories. In terms of intangibles, he is the model QB.

This is why Gabbert will be a high draft choice if he performs well in his Pro-Day.
Share 49ersWebzone