There are 181 users in the forums

OFFICIAL Blaine Gabbert Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
^^ I realize that doesn't sound very objective of me, but I really think the kid is getting a bad wrap here because for some reason, he reminds people of Smith. All I can say is, go watch his games and see for yourself. If you don't like him, and can't see Harbaugh using those skills in his WCO, then so be it.

Im sorry Ghost, but i dont think he or newton will make great QBs, both are gimmicky.

Newton started only 14 games, and Gabbert isnt consistent IMO, 16td and 9 ints shows me he digressed, and not cause of no talent, he just digressed.

It's a matter of opinion. You can say that a guy who's been training to be a QB his whole life "just regressed," for whatever reasons. Or you can factor in the loss of his senior WRs who were excellent college playmakers for him, and a new crop of WRs who just aren't very good at making plays downfield.

People who like Gabbert, will take those kinds of things into consideration. People who don't like Gabbert will dismiss that and just say, "he regressed," with no real explanation as to why other than the assumption that he just sucks/isn't very good (even though he was VERY good with Alexander/Perry the year before as a true soph).

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
[quote=GhostofFredDean74

I wasn't saying Alexander and Perry are future HOFs. I said they were college playmakers; vertical threats with speed and playmaking ability. They could actually get downfield and make things happen in college, and they did with Gabbert as QB.

The Missouri WR corps this year is very different. They're young and not very explosive. They can make intermediate plays and did so quite well, but they're not going to run away from too many DBs, thus the increase in comp% and decrease in other production numbers.

When you speak of Gabbert's "ball placement/inaccuracy," what exactly do you base this on, since I haven't seen that (at least not in a way that stands out from any other young QB) and I haven't heard or read many scouts/professional observers say that. You and SanDiego seem to be the only one's that I know of who believe Gabbert to be almost "wildly" inaccurate.

Are there extended examples of this (game after game, season after season), or are you basing it off one game? If so, what game so I can watch.

Sorry just getting rid of some of the thread clutter...

Um, no i'm basing his ball placement inaccuracy on the 8 games i've seen from this year and 4 games i could get from last year.

He leaves his wr's out to dry, his deep ball is yucky, on slants he throws it to their back shoulder as opposed to their front shoulder, etc.

This is a very small example of 1 game vs a very poor pass d, but it will have to do for. How many of these passes are successful franchise qb throws? Not simple 8 yard outs. Not a simple hitch or dig. Gabbert vs Illinois

I counted 3 out of 48. At the 1:10 min mark, 7:06, and 10:22.

If you can find more than that, lets discuss. I'm open to listening. I'm (i think we all are) so desperate for a qb that i really would love to love Gabbert. I'd love to see him throw and say ya man i hope we draft him so we can finally have a great qb again. But, i just don't see it.

The interesting part though is, you picked one of Gabbert's better games to somehow show me that he's not a very good/accurate QB. You're nit-picking his "ball-placement." If you do the same for just about every QB at every level, you'll come across a handful of bad balls every game. Very few QBs have the ability to deliver the ball with pin-point accuracy, throw after throw...those are the elite-of-the-elite QBs in the NFL; Gabbert has a very long way to go in that area.

Still, the video you're showing me is of a game where he completed 34 of 48 passes (70.8%), for 2 TD passes, 281 yards and a passer rating of 133.75...oh yah, and they won the game 23-13.

I agree, some of those throws were off-target...not doubt about it. But you're essentially saying that nearly 71% completion on nearly 50 attempts, with 2 TDs, no picks and a WIN just isn't cutting it.

You're right, those were a lot of short passes, bubble screens and intermediate throws. You can see a very different passing offense in that game (first game of the 2010) season, than what Missouri showed in 2009. You say it's because Gabbert just "regressed" or that he's just not accurate. Take a look at the kinds of throws Gabbert made in 2009 (and how their passing offense was more much more vertical) when he had an explosive playmaker:

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 3, 2011 at 10:50 AM ]
I have seen a few QBs play in person, and when I saw Gabbert, he didn't seem very good. Slow reads, passes all over the place etc.
I remember Chase Daniel (I hate him from my HS days) and he was more effective than Gabbert.
Texas Tech was a very mediocre team last year, our secondary was one of the nation's worst due to a slew of injuries and poor coaching...yet Tech shut down Gabbert decisively.

Final Stat Line: Blaine Gabbert completed 12 of 30 passes for 95 yards

I am not impressed.
[ Edited by cestmoi on Mar 2, 2011 at 11:52 AM ]
^^ only watching half of that clip, you could see Gabbert's arm and accuracy. I focused on his feet and he seems to move well while looking down field, just like Mayock said.

There's a reason there is a consensus amongst the pro scouts when it come to Gabbert being a top 10 pick.

That said, if Harbaugh loves him and we snag him, then I know for a fact Gabbert was the right pick.

Sorry guys, but Harbaugh just knows more about QBs than any of us could. His professional analysis on Gabbert must be thorough and extensive for him to go that route.

We do need a franchise QB, no? Not many times you get a chance at a top 10 QB.

Still, I really would be upset if we choose him over Peterson, Miller, Dareus and even Quinn. Over Amukamara? Maybe, but one thing is for sure...

...This will be a very exciting top seven draft for sure!
Ab how many games of his have u watched that made you hate him? Honestly
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
I don't want Gabby with the 7th pick, at fifteen maybe. Didn't Harbaugh try to reqruit him to Stanford the same time he got Luck? Gab has been working out with Terry Shea, the same QB instructor who worked with Bradford.

Point is, not with the 7th pick, If we had the 15th-17th then I would be okay with it. while no pick is 100% certain you want to try to achieve that as much as possible. Any pick that reaches the pro bowl 3-5 times in his career is a great 1rst round pick.

Quote:
mattbarrows Matt Barrows

Stanford showed slight interest but Harbaugh zeroed in on some guy named Luck. @Jcool0 did Harbaugh ever try to recruit Gabbert to Stanford?
Bump
For some reason I get the Alex Smith part II feeling about this guy...
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by WildBill:
I don't want Gabby with the 7th pick, at fifteen maybe. Didn't Harbaugh try to reqruit him to Stanford the same time he got Luck? Gab has been working out with Terry Shea, the same QB instructor who worked with Bradford.

Point is, not with the 7th pick, If we had the 15th-17th then I would be okay with it. while no pick is 100% certain you want to try to achieve that as much as possible. Any pick that reaches the pro bowl 3-5 times in his career is a great 1rst round pick.

Quote:
mattbarrows Matt Barrows

Stanford showed slight interest but Harbaugh zeroed in on some guy named Luck. @Jcool0 did Harbaugh ever try to recruit Gabbert to Stanford?

It's interesting that Barrows said "Stanford showed..." and not "Harbaugh showed.."

Something to think about there.

-9fA
I'm in... for the sole reason that if we do pick him it's due to Harbaugh giving the OK. Harbaugh doesn't seem like the type to put all his stock into Gabbert unless he believes he is truly worth it. QB coaches usually believe they can transform anyone.

Originally posted by 5280High:
I'm in... for the sole reason that if we do pick him it's due to Harbaugh giving the OK. Harbaugh doesn't seem like the type to put all his stock into Gabbert unless he believes he is truly worth it. QB coaches usually believe they can transform anyone.
More interesting stuff from Mayock.

Mayock on Gabbert

Quote:
“If I’m telling you he’s a top-10 pick, I’m willing to put my butt on the line and say he’s a top-one pick,” Mayock said. “I mean one’s part of 10. Bottom line to me, if I’m telling you a kid’s a top-10 pick, I believe in Blaine Gabbert. And you know me, and you know my belief about franchise quarterbacks. They trump every other need. If you don’t have those guys, you don’t win in this league. You just don’t.”

Agree? Disagree? I kind of disagree. 16 Tds to 9 ints makes me go "meh". But hey, what do I know?
i hope that harbaugh knows what he is doing...
Originally posted by communist:
i hope that harbaugh knows what he is doing...

If I remember correctly, a lot of people said that about Bill Walsh when he picked that skinny kid from Notre Dame in the 3rd round back in 1979, when nobody else was overly interested...or when he traded for that former 1st overall QB who was being labeled a bust in Tampa Bay after only 2 years there, going 3-16 as a starter.

Some people just have an eye for QBs, and they know how to develop them too. JH is one of those guys.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 4, 2011 at 4:57 PM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
More interesting stuff from Mayock.

Mayock on Gabbert

Quote:
“If I’m telling you he’s a top-10 pick, I’m willing to put my butt on the line and say he’s a top-one pick,” Mayock said. “I mean one’s part of 10. Bottom line to me, if I’m telling you a kid’s a top-10 pick, I believe in Blaine Gabbert. And you know me, and you know my belief about franchise quarterbacks. They trump every other need. If you don’t have those guys, you don’t win in this league. You just don’t.”

Agree? Disagree? I kind of disagree. 16 Tds to 9 ints makes me go "meh". But hey, what do I know?

I think Gabbert is a top 10-15 ranked player in the draft. Sure, if you don't have a QB and you think the guy is going to be a franchise QB - it makes sense to draft him even at 1.

...BUT

If you feel some other QBs available in 2nd round could be good QBs - you're better off waiting. Get the best player in the draft, and then go get the QB in the second round.

I'm not the biggest fan of Gabbert, though I think he will be an above average QB in the NFL and could be very good if he lands in the perfect spot. I don't think he will ever be a pro-bowl caliber QB though. His real value is between 10-15. I think there are at least 12 players better than him in the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone