Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I wonder if all these Gabbert jock riders have even watched him play. He's wildly inaccurate and makes Brett Favre like crazy decisions at key points during the game. Thows the wild interception that kills your team and loses the game. This is the most overrated guy I've seen on the WZ. What do people like? That he is 6'5"? It certainly can't be the decision making or accuracy.

Credibility when it comes to objectively assessing the potential of Blaine Gabbert:

1.) Resident webzone critic, football fan and Jake Locker fanatic, SanDiego49er?
2.) Highly respected professional college football/NFL draft analyst, Mike Mayock?

Hmmm, that's a tough one...

As the whole season played out I would say Locker has some work to do. And I wouldn't pick him real high at this point. But he has upside and athletic ability.

With Gabbert I don't see consistent accuracy or decision making. I think he's way overrated due to a weak QB class.

I don't see it as a weak QB class. You don't see 4 QBs being considered in the first round in 'weak' QB classes. You don't see as many as 10 QBs considered in the first few rounds in 'weak' QB classes.

The top guys are weak. I don't see many superstars in this class.

That doesn't matter. Just cuz there isn't ONE HUGE SAVIOR doesn't mean its a poor Qb class. I bet you hated the Aaron Rodgers and Joe Flaccos too. There will be at least 2 good Qb's 1 being real good that come out of this years draft just like every other, I just hope we have the coach who finds him, cuz we all know he's out there.

I didn't hate Aaron Rodgers and I don't now. I bet you are one of those guys who wants to jump in the time machine and change 2005... We have to go forward. There is no rewind button in life.

Flacco is not that great. His defense backing him is phenomenal year after year and they have a real solid run game. He's about on par with Alex Smith. Flacco is not really that good.

Sure there could be a good QB in this class. It's a matter of luck to pick the right one. But I trust Harbaugh's instincts on this one. You also need to get a bit lucky to have that person fall to #7. Nothing says the first 6 can't pick that one good guy whoever he is.

Joe Flacco career numbers (3 years - 48 games played):
TD passes: 60
INT: 34
Yards: 10,206
Comp: 62%
YPA: 7.2
Passer rating - 87.9

Alex Smith career numbers (6 years - 54 games played):
TD passes: 51
INT: 53
Yards: 9399
Comp: 57.1%
YPA: 6.2
Passer rating - 72.1

Those #'s are somewhat skewed by the terrible beginning Alex had. But he's been better since then. I'd say he's about as good as Flacco now. Not they way he started but now.
I wonder if all these Gabbert jock riders have even watched him play. He's wildly inaccurate and makes Brett Favre like crazy decisions at key points during the game. Thows the wild interception that kills your team and loses the game. This is the most overrated guy I've seen on the WZ. What do people like? That he is 6'5"? It certainly can't be the decision making or accuracy.

Credibility when it comes to objectively assessing the potential of Blaine Gabbert:

1.) Resident webzone critic, football fan and Jake Locker fanatic, SanDiego49er?
2.) Highly respected professional college football/NFL draft analyst, Mike Mayock?

As the whole season played out I would say Locker has some work to do. And I wouldn't pick him real high at this point. But he has upside and athletic ability.

With Gabbert I don't see consistent accuracy or decision making. I think he's way overrated due to a weak QB class.

I don't see it as a weak QB class. You don't see 4 QBs being considered in the first round in 'weak' QB classes. You don't see as many as 10 QBs considered in the first few rounds in 'weak' QB classes.

That doesn't matter. Just cuz there isn't ONE HUGE SAVIOR doesn't mean its a poor Qb class. I bet you hated the Aaron Rodgers and Joe Flaccos too. There will be at least 2 good Qb's 1 being real good that come out of this years draft just like every other, I just hope we have the coach who finds him, cuz we all know he's out there.

I didn't hate Aaron Rodgers and I don't now. I bet you are one of those guys who wants to jump in the time machine and change 2005... We have to go forward. There is no rewind button in life.

Flacco is not that great. His defense backing him is phenomenal year after year and they have a real solid run game. He's about on par with Alex Smith. Flacco is not really that good.

Sure there could be a good QB in this class. It's a matter of luck to pick the right one. But I trust Harbaugh's instincts on this one. You also need to get a bit lucky to have that person fall to #7. Nothing says the first 6 can't pick that one good guy whoever he is.

Passer rating - 87.9

Passer rating - 72.1

Those #'s are somewhat skewed by the terrible beginning Alex had. But he's been better since then. I'd say he's about as good as Flacco now. Not they way he started but now.

Alex has played better as of late, but it's a small sample size (and by comparison, he was mediocre-to-horrible before). Flacco has been pretty consistent in his first 3 years and has actually gotten better year-over-year in terms of passing yards, TD passes and overall passer rating (and has been consistently in the 60's in terms of completion percentage in his brief career).

Until Alex shows some consistency (year-over-year), I don't see how you can say that with a straight face.

Passer rating - 87.9

Passer rating - 72.1

Alex has played better as of late, but it's a small sample size (and by comparison, he was mediocre-to-horrible before). Flacco has been pretty consistent in his first 3 years and has actually gotten better year-over-year in terms of passing yards, TD passes and overall passer rating (and has been consistently in the 60's in terms of completion percentage in his brief career).

Until Alex shows some consistency (year-over-year), I don't see how you can say that with a straight face.

That makes two of us.

Passer rating - 87.9

Passer rating - 72.1

Well he's better now. That's my only point. And Dingleberry is even more clueless on QB development than NoWin. He's the bottom of the barrel. Not to mention Jimmy Raye.

I believe the QB master Harbaugh can get more out of Alex than that. And by any standard he has improved over the years despite the worst coaches and an incredible idiot in Dingleberry.

Passer rating - 87.9

Passer rating - 72.1

Last year-you have to take the whole body of work of the season not just the end. Expectations were high and the team choked and none bigger than the QB. While you can blame the bland schemes of Raye, still all those ints in the first 5 games, cut them in half and maybe the niners win three of those. Those ints are on the QB.
Anyone know what his attitude, work ethic is like? Is he loud like rivers or a lamb like alex
Originally posted by teeohh:
Anyone know what his attitude, work ethic is like? Is he loud like rivers or a lamb like alex

Passer rating - 87.9

Passer rating - 72.1

Well he's better now. That's my only point. And Dingleberry is even more clueless on QB development than NoWin. He's the bottom of the barrel. Not to mention Jimmy Raye.

I believe the QB master Harbaugh can get more out of Alex than that. And by any standard he has improved over the years despite the worst coaches and an incredible idiot in Dingleberry.

Ummm... then why not only count Flacco's most recent year?

Passer Rating 93.6
Comp % 62.6
Yards 3622
TDs/INTs 25/10

Alex has never put up numbers even close to that. Also Flacco plays Pitt twice/year. Alex plays Sea, Ari, and Stl 6 times/year

He's got an NFL arm, he's a touch more accurate than given credit for on this board and had very little talent at the WR postition. His "go to" guy was TJ Moe, a converted QB (6 feet tall with no vertical speed). I have no idea how he'll translate to the pro game.

I do know MU went to crap two years ago after he hurt his ankle in the Nebraska game. He was prety much their entire offense.
wish he was throwing, pro days next month?
Originally posted by Nuns:

He's got an NFL arm, he's a touch more accurate than given credit for on this board and had very little talent at the WR postition. His "go to" guy was TJ Moe, a converted QB (6 feet tall with no vertical speed). I have no idea how he'll translate to the pro game.

I do know MU went to crap two years ago after he hurt his ankle in the Nebraska game. He was prety much their entire offense.

I seriously don't understand the "hate" that people on this board have for Gabbert. it's unnatural and unwarranted. I can understand dislike, and even having a preference for other QBs (e.g., Locker, Stanzi, Ponder, Dalton, etc.). But people who berate him, call him "erratic," "wildly inconsitent" and "extremely innacurate." Just blows my mind.

Yah, he's a work in progress and isn't going to help a team this year (likely no QB in this draft will either), but if you actually watch him play (like Mayock has), it's hard not to notice how good of a QB he can be given the right coaching and system. He screams "west coast quarterback" in just about every way (big arm, great size, athletic, accurate, mobile, intelligent). He's everything Locker and Ponder are and possibly even more, in a bigger/younger package.

So again, I understand that not everyone believes in him and that we all have our preferences (I get that, and we can have intelligent discussions about the differences)....but the blind hatred for this kid is bordering on psychotic.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 25, 2011 at 10:09 AM ]
I really think this is the guy we should draft
Seems like Gabbert is starting to become the next flavor-of-the-week pick for the Niners in mock drafts, after Miller and then Peterson. Triggered by the reports about Harbaugh recruiting him out of HS I guess.

It'll be interesting to see where this stops.
[ Edited by NewEraNiner on Feb 25, 2011 at 1:00 PM ]
Originally posted by NewEraNiner:
Seems like Gabbert is starting to become the next flavor-of-the-week pick for the Niners in mock drafts, after Miller and then Peterson. Triggered by the reports about Harbaugh recruiting him out of HS I guess.

It'll be interesting to see where this stops.

I got no problem if Baalke thinks he's the QB of the future... Not saying he does,but if we draft him... I will support the choose...
Originally posted by Nuns:

I seriously don't understand the "hate" that people on this board have for Gabbert. it's unnatural and unwarranted. I can understand dislike, and even having a preference for other QBs (e.g., Locker, Stanzi, Ponder, Dalton, etc.). But people who berate him, call him "erratic," "wildly inconsitent" and "extremely innacurate." Just blows my mind.

Yah, he's a work in progress and isn't going to help a team this year (likely no QB in this draft will either), but if you actually watch him play (like Mayock has), it's hard not to notice how good of a QB he can be given the right coaching and system. He screams "west coast quarterback" in just about every way (big arm, great size, athletic, accurate, mobile, intelligent). He's everything Locker and Ponder are and possibly even more, in a bigger/younger package.

So again, I understand that not everyone believes in him and that we all have our preferences (I get that, and we can have intelligent discussions about the differences)....but the blind hatred for this kid is bordering on psychotic.

I think what people are questioning is if he is worth the #7 pick. It's pretty common knowledge that Locker or even Newton is not worth it so any suggestion of that is immediately ridiculed. Gabbert on the other hand, could be argued to be worth it, but if he is, then it would be at the expense of a Von Miller, an Amukamaranara or even a Peterson. That's where people question whether he is worth it, is he consistent enough or accurate enough to pass on one of those guys? It's the kind of thing that will cause panties to undergo a significant twisting in a place like this.