LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

OFFICIAL Blaine Gabbert Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • jrg
  • Veteran
We need a NEW #11 on the roster! Draft Blaine Gabbert!

Anybody with me at all? #7 overall Blaine Gabbert?

Blaine Gabbert Declares For The 2011 NFL Draft: 5 Reasons You'll love him
1. Experience

Blaine Gabbert has two full seasons of experience at Mizzou under his belt, a time frame in which he collected 18 victories for a Tiger team that was not all of that great throughout his career as a starter. Gabbert came to his home state University despite being one of the most highly sought after recruits in the country, and earned playing time right away. Prospects with Gabbert's level of experience are always hot commodities on draft day.

2. Toughness

Blaine Gabbert is no stranger to injury. Missouri's signal caller has played through a number of injuries throughout his career, including a severely sprained ankle suffered at the hands of Ndamukong Suh. Gabbert also battled a rib injury this season. He is as tough as nails and willing to take a hit in the pocket.

3. Gabbert Has All of the Tools (Arm Strength, Accuracy, Size Etc)

There is no debate that Blaine Gabbert has all of the tools necessary to be an NFL quarterback . He has a lazer arm, adequate accuracy, and great height and bulk for an NFL prospect a 6'5'' 235 pounds. Gabbert is athletic and makes smart decisions with the football (for the most part). His production has not always matched his elite physical tools, but he has the make up of a franchise quarterback.

4. Intangibles (Leadership, Confidence, Work Ethic, Intelligence)

In addition to his impressive physical measurables, Blaine Gabbert possesses a lot of the intangibles necessary to find success in the NFL. Gabbert played his best football in Mizzou's most important games. He led them to victories over Texas A&M and Oklahoma, and performed admirably in the Insight Bowl until that one misguided throw that led to Iowa's game winning touchdown. Gabbert relishes the spotlight and excels in clutch situations.

5. Someone Will Fall in Love with Him

We see it every year; A junior quarterback declares early and picks up steam throughout the combine and interview process becoming a first round pick in the process. Gabbert could be that guy in the 2011 NFL Draft. Blaine Gabbert will deliver eye popping results at both his combine workouts and his pro day, and I suspect he will knock the interviews out of the park with his high football I.Q. and charismatic personality.

I find it hard to believe that Blaine Gabbert would forego his senior season for his hometown team unless he had reason to believe he would be drafted in one of the first couple rounds. ESPN reports that some scouts have given him a first round grade. Gene Smith, the general manager for the Jacksonville Jaguars, personally attended the Insight Bowl, and there is reason to believe Gabbert was on his list of targets.

Blaine Gabbert could here his name called on day one of the 2011 NFL Draft if his stock continues to pick up steam.

Link

[ Edited by jrg on Jan 4, 2011 at 20:53:02 ]
[ Edited by jrg on Nov 18, 2013 at 5:59 PM ]
I wish I had seen more of his play to really be able to contribute. I think either way, we will get either Gabbert, Mallet, or Newton with pick #7. New regimes = new QBs. And *IF* we get Harbaugh, I think he can coach (what's that?!) them to be a better football player.
Is this your analysis or someone else's?
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

Someone elses, but after watching him all year as a Mizzou fan..I agree with 100% of it.
Rated the #1 pro style QB coming out of high school...just saying.

I'd take this guy before that piece of junk Ryan Mallett.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Watch the video of him trying out at Nebraska.
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

Someone elses, but after watching him all year as a Mizzou fan..I agree with 100% of it.

You should probably write the name of the author or post a link or something like that.

By far his best highlight
  • jrg
  • Veteran
You would post that.
You would post that.

• jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
You would post that.

That game was bulls**t and you know it. He threw for nearly 500 yards that game but made a bad throw there.

Hopefully he ends up in a SF jersey come draft day.
I didn't follow him much, so I don't claim to know a ton about him.

But I follow the draft process pretty closely, and until he declared, he didn't seem to be on anyone's radar as a top pick this year. Suddenly he's a potential top pick.

This analysis from Walter Football is much more in line with the general consensus I have found regarding Gabbert prior to his declaring:

"Blaine Gabbert, Missouri
Height: 6-5. Weight: 240.
Projected 40 Time: 4.71.
Projected Round (2012): 2-3.

Blaine Gabbert threw for 3,593 yards, 24 touchdowns and nine interceptions as a sophomore. He has great size and a nice arm, but mediocre accuracy (58.9% completions) and questionable workout regimen (to put it nicely). The lack of pro-style offense experience will also hurt him, but the upside is there to warrant a Day 2 pick."

Not saying I agree or disagree with it, like I said, I haven't followed him closely. I am just very surprised that until this week, it doesn't seem like he was on the radar of any draft "Gurus" as a top pick, he was a late rounder at best, and he wasn't really expected to declare, and suddenly he's a top pick.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
He's been talked about as being a Top 10 draft pick since he declared.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
You would post that.

That game was bulls**t and you know it. He threw for nearly 500 yards that game but made a bad throw there.

Hopefully he ends up in a SF jersey come draft day.
Blainexcuses

He made alot of great throws that game, unfortunately his worst throw cost them the game.
He's been talked about as being a Top 10 draft pick since he declared.

Right, but that's just been a few days or so. Prior to that everything I read had him as a 2nd/3rd rounder at best, often lower than that.

It wasn't "if he declares, he'll be top 10". All the rankings of QBs who were or could be coming out, had him ranked as between the 5th-10th best QB potentially available and as an average of a 3rd round pick or so.

Was it just because no one thought he would come out? Were his final games THAT impressive?

Again, I didn't follow him much, but I have been following general rankings, and until he declared, he didn't seem to be on anyone's radar.
Share 49ersWebzone