LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 245 users in the forums

Elway will try to pursue Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh as head coach

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Chief
  • Veteran
It is clear that John Elway is going to try to restore the luster of the Denver Broncos right away when he becomes the leader of the team’s football operations.

The most interesting part of Adam Schefter’s report that Elway has agreed to join the team -- a deal has been in the work for several weeks -- is that Elway will try to pursue Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh as head coach. Harbaugh is considered one of the top prizes available this offseason. He could also be pursued by his alma mater, Michigan.

Elway clearly has ties to Harbaugh. The former Stanford and Broncos star quarterback is going to be honorary captain for Stanford during the Orange Bowl on Monday. So, Elway will have plenty of time to make his pitch to Harbaugh.

Harbaugh is known as a motivator and as one of the bright, young offensive minds working today. The former NFL quarterback has a reputation as a quarterback guru, and that will be attractive to Denver, who has rookie quarterback Tim Tebow.

Denver’s target of Harbaugh means the Broncos will not be afraid to spend money to get the coach they want. The Denver Post reported that the team has reached a settlement with former coach Josh McDaniels, who was fired in December. That means Denver, which also owes former coach Mike Shanahan some money in 2011, may have more money to play with.

If will be interesting to see if Denver continues think big if it can’t hire Harbaugh. Big-name coaches such as Bill Cowher and Jon Gruden (who is a Tebow fan) may require more power than Harbaugh.

It is clear Elway is running this team with help from current general manager Brian Xanders.

Elway has to prove he can make the transition from superstar player to successful front-office type. Targeting Harbaugh shows Elway is going to have the same gun-slinging approach to running a team that he had running an offense.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/34775/john-elway-will-come-out-swinging

[ Edited by Chief on Jan 2, 2011 at 10:26:55 ]
lol why would harbaugh wanna go to the Broncos

San Fran is more local, has better talent on both sides of the ball, in a less competitive division, better draft pick (better chance for Luck), waay more resources for the WCO, etc.

Denver just has a better qb situation..

OH and I think i read he prefers to be in the NFC rather than the AFC cause his brother is in the AFC.

and i thought Denver was looking for a defensive minded HC?

[ Edited by TheGoldenState on Jan 2, 2011 at 10:29:12 ]
when Elway shows up to Harbaugh's door make sure Montana is there so that he can show Elway his 4 rings and remind him about the time he whooped Elways ass 55-10 in the superbowl.

.....and then remind him about earlier this year how the Broncos cheated against the 49ers in London and still lost....... to our 3rd string QB.

• Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:

San Fran is more local, has better talent on both sides of the ball, in a less competitive division, better draft pick (better chance for Luck), waay more resources for the WCO, etc.

OH and I think i read he prefers to be in the NFC rather than the AFC cause his brother is in the AFC.

I'm sure there are a million reasons pushing him in all directions. He could end up anywhere.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
when Elway shows up to Harbaugh's door make sure Montana is there so that he can show Elway his 4 rings and remind him about the time he whooped Elways ass 55-10 in the superbowl.

.....and then remind him about earlier this year how the Broncos cheated against the 49ers in London and still lost....... to our 3rd string QB.

Originally posted by Chief:

I'm sure there are a million reasons pushing him in all directions. He could end up anywhere.

Yeah, I honestly think he'll end up with Michigan
Why would Harbaugh want to work with a fullback at QB?
man f**k Elway
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by j3xperience:

That fullback is far better than any QB we have.

Tebow?
rather have alex, maybe troy

• Chief
  • Veteran

Tebow?

Yah, and I would rather have this conversation with plunger.

Tebow?

Yah, and I would rather have this conversation with plunger.

• MuggD
  • Veteran
I bet the Broncos are back in the playoffs before us.
Originally posted by Muggins879:
I bet the Broncos are back in the playoffs before us.

I wouldn't count on that. They've gone away from everything they used to do well. No power running game, pourous defense. Also regardless of how "good" Tebow is, he might be the worst qb in that division and yeah i'm including Campbell/Gradkowski in that. Furthermore, we saw this when Marino went to work for the Dolphins for about a month, it does not end well b/c these aren't guys who want to do the dirty work. They're golf course GM's. Secondly, their owner Pat Bowlen is relying on Elway when its been well documented that he and Shanahan were great friends, but he had to fire him. In other words, he relied on Shanahan to make it work, now he's expecting an ex-qb to put together another super bowl winner. Regardless of what you think of Baalke, he's got a lot more credibility in that respect than does Elway. Don't think Harbaugh doesn't know this. The Stanford connection aside, Harbaugh was one of the most competitive players out there. Don't think for a second he'd be comfortable taking orders from another fellow QB. And it may or may not matter, but the Broncos owe McDaniels more money than we owe Sing, I believe. That may or may not influence their decision to dole out some bucks for Harbaugh.
Why can't they go after gruden
Share 49ersWebzone