LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

Report: Kubiak to stay in Houston/Hire Wade as DC

Shop 49ers game tickets
Quote:
Indications are that owner Bob McNair plans to keep Gary Kubiak as his head coach for the Texans and hire Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator.

Unless something like a blowout loss to Jacksonville in Sunday’s game at Reliant Stadium causes him to have an 11th-hour change of heart, McNair will bring back Kubiak for his sixth season, two people familiar with the situation said on Thursday.

McNair has declined to comment on Kubiak’s job situation since Dec. 15, but three people close to the owner said he’s angry, disappointed and frustrated with the Texans’ 5-10 record that includes eight losses in nine games.

They say, however, that McNair believes the offense is in good hands with Kubiak overseeing it but that he wants to improve the defense dramatically.

Those close to McNair say he wants his head coach to hire a big-name defensive coordinator with a proven track record. That would be Phillips, who was fired as the Dallas Cowboys’ head coach after they started 1-7.

cont'd.....

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7360542.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+houstonchronicle%2Fspfbtxfront+%28HoustonChronicle.com+--+Houston+Texa
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:

I would've liked Wade as our DC.
No biggie Wade Phillips isn't the be all end all of DC's.

Thing is he likes to run a 3-4 by getting him that means they must get ready to switch a bad 4-3 defense to a 3-4 defense. That will require more time and patience something that the fans and Kubiak don't seem to have.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:

Thing is he likes to run a 3-4 by getting him that means they must get ready to switch a bad 4-3 defense to a 3-4 defense. That will require more time and patience something that the fans and Kubiak don't seem to have.

If they were smart they'd hire him only if he plans to keep it a 4-3 if not look for another experienced 4-3 DC. Their personnel best suits a 4-3.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

If they were smart they'd hire him only if he plans to keep it a 4-3 if not look for another experienced 4-3 DC. Their personnel best suits a 4-3.

True I'm not sure but I believe he did run a 4-3 while he was with the Broncos. Seems like they want to hire Wade just to hire Wade, and sell a big name to the fans.
  • evil
  • Veteran

True I'm not sure but I believe he did run a 4-3 while he was with the Broncos. Seems like they want to hire Wade just to hire Wade, and sell a big name to the fans.

Yeah, that is the impression I get to. There are going to be 4-3 DC's available (John Fox and Marvin Lewis are 2 guys looking for work, and their DC's Ron Meeks who was Dungy's DC in Indy could be had as well. Mike Zimmer COULD be a coach retained in Cincy but if not there is another name for DC).

If Cleveland is retarded and let Rob Ryan go that would be another name.
MAN f**k

Phillips >>>>>>>> Manusky
To be honest, I didn't see a whole lot there that was linking Wade to the Texans DC gig. It just said that the owner wanted a flashy name at coordinator, and the report then linked that to Wade.

While Wade is a big name, I'm not quite sure that he'll be the best fit or the person who they'll necessarily pursue. Someone above already provided a whole list of proven 4-3 coaches.

-9fA

Yeah, that is the impression I get to. There are going to be 4-3 DC's available (John Fox and Marvin Lewis are 2 guys looking for work, and their DC's Ron Meeks who was Dungy's DC in Indy could be had as well. Mike Zimmer COULD be a coach retained in Cincy but if not there is another name for DC).

i would really like the niners to take a look at Rob Ryan if they plan on sticking with the 3-4. With the possibility of no free agency I think it would be smart to stick with the 3-4. They just need to make the philosophy of that scheme to be more aggressive.

• evil
  • Veteran

i would really like the niners to take a look at Rob Ryan if they plan on sticking with the 3-4. With the possibility of no free agency I think it would be smart to stick with the 3-4. They just need to make the philosophy of that scheme to be more aggressive.

I am not sure Holmgren would fire him though. If Mangini is gone I think they'll just replace the guy with the HC tag and let him put together an offensive staff. Ryan has done great there this year.

I am not sure Holmgren would fire him though. If Mangini is gone I think they'll just replace the guy with the HC tag and let him put together an offensive staff. Ryan has done great there this year.

Yea that would be smart. Plus the Cle. defense seems to really respond to Ryan and he's done a great job with limited pass rushers. He's put together a really really solid secondary by adding Haden and Sheldon Brown.

I hope Rob gets his shot before his big mouth brother makes him look bad b/c this feet scandal just keeps gettign worse with these new leaked pics of his wife with another man.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Yea that would be smart. Plus the Cle. defense seems to really respond to Ryan and he's done a great job with limited pass rushers. He's put together a really really solid secondary by adding Haden and Sheldon Brown.

I hope Rob gets his shot before his big mouth brother makes him look bad b/c this feet scandal just keeps gettign worse with these new leaked pics of his wife with another man.

I hope so too. Denver would be a good landing spot for him IMO, just not sure if they would go that route.
That Texans Message Board is looking like Niner Talk right now LOL
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
That Texans Message Board is looking like Niner Talk right now LOL

There's even a thread about trading Mario Williams
wasn't there a thread yesterday about trading Willis?

http://boards.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=22259
Quote:
This is what I think is the best idea. Let me remind you that I am a HUGE Mario fan. I think that we would be most valuable as trade bait. He could probobly stand out at DE in a 3-4 but it is a contract year for him and he is going to want to get big money in the 2012 offseason. 3-4 DE's don't bring in contracts the size of what Mario wants. Adding to the potential is the possible lack of free agency. Teams might be more willing to give up more in a trade this offseason because they can't improve in free agency. We could pick up a number of good draft picks to remold the defense to fit a 3-4.
Share 49ersWebzone