There are 158 users in the forums

Good Luck Coach Singletary.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Singletary will likely get interviews for HC openings, if only to satisfy the Rooney Rule. I doubt he gets an offer, but I definitely think he'll catch on somewhere maybe as a LBs coach.

-9fA
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Sing is gonna sit back and collect his 5 million and then take some college job in a year.

Life is good for Sing.
Originally posted by susweel:
Sing is gonna sit back and collect his 5 million and then take some college job in a year.

Life is good for Sing.

yeah hard to feel sorry for him
  • kw49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
To be honest I don't wish him the best. I don't wish anything bad on him, but he doesn't deserve good fortune.

Yes he was gifted enough to be a HOF player and yes he probably tried his best at being a coach. I just don't think he is this incredible person everyone makes him out to be.

He belittles the media and treats them like dogs**t (see Lowell Cohn, Dennis ODonnel on KPIX, any media member, being a no show or late to just about every interview), he has poor sportsmanship (see not shaking Mike Smith's hand after the Falcons game and getting into scuffles with players on his own and other teams), and he's an arrogant individual. He singlehandedly ruined Sundays for thousands of niners fans everywhere because he insisted on micromanaging s**t he knew nothing about. He fired Martz who was the only reason Singletary landed a HC gig and hired offensive coordinators who would essentially call what he told them. This is coming from a guy who isnt even qualified enough to be a DC, yet alone OC. It got to the point that he wold literally intimidate or ridicule those who questioned him, that is not humble or even rational. All terrible qualities in a leader.

On top of all of this, I firmly believe that he is somewhat of a racist. Did you ever notice how many black coaches he gave jobs to over much more qualified white coaches (see Jimmy Raye, Mike Johnson, Vance Singletary). Easily the first team in NFL history to have a black HC and two black OC's in a two year span.

He is an arrogant, unintelligent, prick.

So he a racist because he hired black assistants? What more qualified white coaches did he pass over?
Originally posted by kw49:
To be honest I don't wish him the best. I don't wish anything bad on him, but he doesn't deserve good fortune.

Yes he was gifted enough to be a HOF player and yes he probably tried his best at being a coach. I just don't think he is this incredible person everyone makes him out to be.

He belittles the media and treats them like dogs**t (see Lowell Cohn, Dennis ODonnel on KPIX, any media member, being a no show or late to just about every interview), he has poor sportsmanship (see not shaking Mike Smith's hand after the Falcons game and getting into scuffles with players on his own and other teams), and he's an arrogant individual. He singlehandedly ruined Sundays for thousands of niners fans everywhere because he insisted on micromanaging s**t he knew nothing about. He fired Martz who was the only reason Singletary landed a HC gig and hired offensive coordinators who would essentially call what he told them. This is coming from a guy who isnt even qualified enough to be a DC, yet alone OC. It got to the point that he wold literally intimidate or ridicule those who questioned him, that is not humble or even rational. All terrible qualities in a leader.

On top of all of this, I firmly believe that he is somewhat of a racist. Did you ever notice how many black coaches he gave jobs to over much more qualified white coaches (see Jimmy Raye, Mike Johnson, Vance Singletary). Easily the first team in NFL history to have a black HC and two black OC's in a two year span.

So he a racist because he hired black assistants? What more qualified white coaches did he pass over?

How about Mike Martz (who he stupidly fired), Ken Zampese, Chan Gailey, and Greg Olson to name a few.
I think there is a strong chance he coaches in college.
  • kw49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kw49:

How about Mike Martz (who he stupidly fired), Ken Zampese, Chan Gailey, and Greg Olson to name a few.

It was my understanding that he fired Mike Martz because their style didn't mesh. He tried to replace him with Scott Linehan, who is white by the way. When that didn't work, he hired Jimmy Raye. I'm not going try to pretend to know the reason he hired Jimmy Raye, but it could have been because he was an experienced offensive coordinator who ran the type of offense Singletary wanted. Wasn't Ken Zampese a quarterback coach? I didn't even know who Greg Olson was, but when I looked at his resume, at the time, he didn't seem more qualified. Chan Gailey was retread just like Jimmy Raye. Any of those guys could have turned out better than Jimmy Raye, but to call them more qualified is a stretch. I'm no Singletary fan, but calling him a racist seems pretty baseless to me.

[ Edited by kw49 on Dec 28, 2010 at 17:03:42 ]
No I will not wish him good luck in the future. He is the direct result of us being a bad football team. We were outcoached for 2.5 years and most of the time it looked like Singletary didn't even know what was happening. He is stubborn as hell which led to us giving games away due to our style of play. He was so stubborn that he wouldn't put his QB who plays decent in the spread actually play it. His run first philosophy was so pathetic my 11 year old sister was able to call plays. He ruined enjoyable experiences at Candlestick for 60,000 fans 8 times a year. His immaturity turned us into the laughing stock of the NFL. The personnel we had these past 2 years was damn good enough to win this division if it had a competent coach. So Mike Singletary get out of here you're an embarrassment to this team, city, and fanbase. I will not wish you luck in anything you do. Enjoy your money that you stole from this organization but not even doing your job.
He'll catch on somewhere, he just needs to learn more about the game, work his way up through the ranks, position coach, D coordinator..... etc etc, or he might just coach in college who knows, but I do wish him the best
My final thoughts on Singletary. The last game as 49ers head coach mirrored his entire reign. His tenure began with yelling at a player in public Vernon Davis and ended in an unforgettable shouting match with a third string quarterback. In his first game he made a quarterback switch and continued to do so until the very last quarter of his coaching career. He fired a former Superbowl offensive coordinator/coach and brought us joke in Jimmy "Bill Cosby" Raye, and ended it with Mike "Jim Hostler" Johnson. Clapping at every opponents score, he gave the Rams the same applause. He was too loyal to his friends and family - Vance "Do Nothing" Singletary and Al "Useless" Harris ...He ask the secondary coach to resign - but never solved the problem. He brought in a special teams coach who hasn't coached that position in years. He kept a man named Jerry "No Separation" Sullivan. Singletary looked at the film every week - but only the 49ers film of the opponents they lost to - not the film of the opponents to face the next week. There was no strategy, no game plan, and lack of execution. Mike Singletary was over his head, limited in X's and O's, and being out coached and outsmarted. His hire was a rush to judgement by the Yorks. He forced the offensive coodinators to run Gore 99.5% of the plays and sent down a quarterback named Nate Davis that a had decent preseason. Firing Mike Singletary after the Rams loss was the right idea so not give any chance of having the ownership change their minds. It's a wonder Singletary didn't clap after the game. The last play of Mike Singletary's 49er career showed a desperate man begging for one second on the left on the clock, one last second as the 49ers head coach - one too many seconds for me to wait.

• okdkid
  • Veteran
I wish him the best. He is a great man and a great leader. He has so much potential as a coach. He just needs to put in some more time in a lesser role learning the X's and O's a bit more. But that is just a matter of time. He will be a head coach again someday.

Actually, I think he'd do GREAT in the college ranks as a head coach. You don't need to be as fundamentally sound. And it would be hard to imagine a recruit (or the recruit's family) turning Singletary down.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by susweel:

Life is good for Sing.

yeah hard to feel sorry for him
ill try to remember his play more than his coaching
Share 49ersWebzone