LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Orton the odd man out?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
We'd be lucky to land a veteran QB like Orton. Not sure what the haters are trying to say here, but he's just now hitting his stride and will likely get better in the right system and with the right supporting cast. Match him with Gore/Dixon in the backfield, along with Davis, Crabs, Morgan, Delanie, Ginn, etc., and he could potentially be a pro-bowler.

That said, he's not the most mobile of QBs, so we'll have to make some structural/schematic changes to the o-line in order for a guy like Orton to be successful.

I have little trust in our OL at this point, Orton would die with this team.
Originally posted by jreff22:
We'd be lucky to land a veteran QB like Orton. Not sure what the haters are trying to say here, but he's just now hitting his stride and will likely get better in the right system and with the right supporting cast. Match him with Gore/Dixon in the backfield, along with Davis, Crabs, Morgan, Delanie, Ginn, etc., and he could potentially be a pro-bowler.

That said, he's not the most mobile of QBs, so we'll have to make some structural/schematic changes to the o-line in order for a guy like Orton to be successful.

A lot can change from one year to the next. We just need a coach who has a clue what he's doing.
Originally posted by PTulini:

A lot can change from one year to the next. We just need a coach who has a clue what he's doing.

thought we got that this year with Solari and Brown

I mean from the Head Coach.

still though, I'm sure Sing is not messing with the OL coaching......
package Haralson and Josh Morgan and pick, boooyaaaaaa

someone get it done on madden

still though, I'm sure Sing is not messing with the OL coaching......

True, but Singletary's idea of an offense has a lot to do with it.
I would love to get orton since he is already above average when he was with the bears 18 td and 12 int on one of his season with the bears before getting traded. It would be awesome if we bring mcdaniels in. It would be funny if Mcd is the OC and we retain mike sing as the HC I don't think he will listen to sings philosophy hehe. Mcd is a jack @ss and would get in to Sings head that had no idea on any philisophy.
Originally posted by nothing03:
I would love to get orton since he is already above average when he was with the bears 18 td and 12 int on one of his season with the bears before getting traded. It would be awesome if we bring mcdaniels in. It would be funny if Mcd is the OC and we retain mike sing as the HC I don't think he will listen to sings philosophy hehe. Mcd is a jack @ss and would get in to Sings head that had no idea on any philisophy.
Was just about to post that. Orton did indeed have a good last season with the Bears with really no one at WR. Hes not as good as his numbers this year, because the Broncos had zero rushing game and no defense, forcing him to throw it 50 times a game. orton isnt a guy whos going to put the team on his back and win but hes very good if you have an established ground game and just need someone to manage the game. I think he'd be a very good fit in san Fran.

However, the Broncos still need a backup QB because Tebow is far, far, far from a sure thing next year. So I really dont think they'll move him. hes under contract through next year so I dont see why they would move him. get the last year out of him then hand it over to Tebow. No need to rush the kid into the NFL just because you want an extra 4th round pick for Orton.
Originally posted by confusedrhino:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
I would prefer better but Orton is not as bad as people say

Actually, he is.

Orton holds a 32-31 career record despite playing for three teams with winning records, including a Chicago Bears team that went to the Super Bowl just two seasons prior.

Orton has completed 58.1% of his passes in his career and has more turnovers at 76 (INTs + Fumbles Lost) than he does touchdowns (71).

He's a stone figure in an age when mobility makes a Quarterback.

Way to manipulate the data. Go here and you can see he has steadily improved his passer rating every year in the NFL. This year 2/1 TD/INT ratio and one fumble. Much better than Alex Smith.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=8520

Of course, if he came here he would probably start sucking immediately. . But this club would get a huge boost if he played as well for the 49ers as he has the last couple of years in Denver. He will probably break 4000 yards this year.

Orton isn't going to throw another pass in 2010, so breaking 4,000 yards passing isn't happening.

Also, he was the Quarterback of a three win team. Might as well retain Alex Smith if we're looking for three wins.
[ Edited by redrathman on Dec 22, 2010 at 10:37 PM ]

Originally posted by teeohh:
package Haralson and Josh Morgan and pick, boooyaaaaaa

someone get it done on madden

You got hosed.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

Actually, he is.

Orton holds a 32-31 career record despite playing for three teams with winning records, including a Chicago Bears team that went to the Super Bowl just two seasons prior.

Orton has completed 58.1% of his passes in his career and has more turnovers at 76 (INTs + Fumbles Lost) than he does touchdowns (71).

somebody fails at math

71 touchdowns 48 interception
28 fumbles 16 lost

48ints+16 fumbles lost=64 turnovers

71>64

Lets just resign Alex Smith.

Totally right on the fumbles lost statistic. I misread the statistic, though I certainly didn't fail as you so uniquely put it.

Still, you want a guy with just seven more touchdowns thrown as turnovers produced?

You want to trade draft picks for a guy without any mobility and a career dominated by losing?
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

Actually, he is.

somebody fails at math

71 touchdowns 48 interception
28 fumbles 16 lost

48ints+16 fumbles lost=64 turnovers

71>64

Lets just resign Alex Smith.

Totally right on the fumbles lost statistic. I misread the statistic, though I certainly didn't fail as you so uniquely put it.

Still, you want a guy with just seven more touchdowns thrown as turnovers produced?

You want to trade draft picks for a guy without any mobility and a career dominated by losing?

If the intention is to try and win a Super Bowl with Orton, then you're right...he's not the guy. However, if your intention is to have him run the show while your rookie QB is groomed and learns behind a veteran, Orton is a solid choice.

In other words, Orton shouldn't be viewed as THEE solution, but merely a caretaker for now as we rebuild the franchise. Point being, there aren't many (if any) veteran Qbs "available" that can actually take us all the way...they simply don't grow and trees, and you just walk down to the park and pluck them. The more likely scenario is to groom a rookie from the upcoming draft, and over time, allow him to be that guy. In the meantime, Orton (and his kind) will do just fine.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Dec 22, 2010 at 11:01 PM ]
Originally posted by confusedrhino:

Actually, he is.

Way to manipulate the data. Go here and you can see he has steadily improved his passer rating every year in the NFL. This year 2/1 TD/INT ratio and one fumble. Much better than Alex Smith.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=8520

Of course, if he came here he would probably start sucking immediately. . But this club would get a huge boost if he played as well for the 49ers as he has the last couple of years in Denver. He will probably break 4000 yards this year.

Orton isn't going to throw another pass in 2010, so breaking 4,000 yards passing isn't happening.

Also, he was the Quarterback of a three win team. Might as well retain Alex Smith if we're looking for three wins.

I have yet to understand how the win/loss record could be put on one player who's not even on the field half to game. Before winning the Super Bowl, the Saints record with Drew Brees was an unimpressive 25-23, but we all knew it wasn't because they needed a new qb. Sometimes a team stinks because the QB is the ONLY good thing going for the team.

I'm no Orton fan either, but he's better than anything we have. If there's a pro bowl QB out there available, then sure, we should go after whoever that is. Chances are there isn't one out there though.
[ Edited by LAFortyNinerfan on Dec 22, 2010 at 11:12 PM ]
Quote:
Orton on the block

The speculation on Kyle Orton's future has ramped up considerably since the announcement that Tim Tebow would be the Denver Broncos' starting quarterback for the duration of the 2010 season. With quite a few teams in need of a fresh start at the QB position, we're sure that this situation has captivated quite a few opposing executives as we head into the offseason.

Thus, in the eyes of Dave Krieger of the Denver Post, the Broncos hold a very valuable trade chip in Orton. In Krieger's view, no fewer than eight teams -- alphabetically, the Arizona Cardinals, Carolina Panthers, Cincinnati Bengals, Miami Dolphins, Minnesota Vikings, San Francisco 49ers, Tennessee Titans and Washington Redskins -- are looking for QB help this offseason, and could make for good trade partners for the Broncos. We'll add the Seattle Seahawks into that speculative group, as Matt Hasselbeck's recent performance has not inspired much confidence, and the fact that Charlie Whitehurst hasn't been promoted over the struggling veteran tells you all you need to know about the team's thoughts on the bearded backup.

It's unclear what kind of package the Broncos are looking for in this hypothetical world where Orton is on the block. Given that they may be trying to move out of their first-round slot, Orton provides another intriguing trade chip to sweeten any deal, and would obviously increase the package they'd receive in return from a QB-desperate franchise.

- Tim Kavanagh
Share 49ersWebzone