LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 317 users in the forums

Is Devin Hester on his way to Hall of Fame?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Is Devin Hester on his way to Hall of Fame?

I say NO. Yes he is an amazing returner but that by itself is not enough in my opinion. He is a below average to average WR and I simply think a player needs to be more than someone who returned 14 kicks for TDS to be a Hall of Famer.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I say NO. Yes he is an amazing returner but that by itself is not enough in my opinion. He is a below average to average WR and I simply think a player needs to be more than someone who returned 14 kicks for TDS to be a Hall of Famer.

that

Do you think Guards and Centers belong in the HOF?
Originally posted by DesiDez:

Of course. Players that are on the field for half of the game and difference makers on the line? No question. I dont think anyone would ever say that someone like Larry Allen shouldnt be in the Hall.
If he continues his current career pace, absolutely.

But if he retired tomorrow, no.

Of course. Players that are on the field for half of the game and difference makers on the line? No question. I dont think anyone would ever say that someone like Larry Allen shouldnt be in the Hall.

then punters and kickers shouldn't be in the Hall?

Special teams is a vital part of the game, and those who excel at it should be in the Hall, IMO. But there is somewhat of a bias against them which is why it is so hard for them to get in, which is why Hester will have trouble.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

Special teams is a vital part of the game, and those who excel at it should be in the Hall, IMO. But there is somewhat of a bias against them which is why it is so hard for them to get in, which is why Hester will have trouble.

Well Ray Guy isnt in the HOF and he is far more worthy than Devin Hester. Until he gets in I wouldnt put any kick returner in the Hall thats for sure. I would also put someone like Adam Vinateri in the HOF before I would Hester as well. Now, if Hester returns a couple of kickoffs or punts for TD's in an NFC title game or SuperBowl I might change my opinion. For now.. I still say NO WAY.

Well Ray Guy isnt in the HOF and he is far more worthy than Devin Hester. Until he gets in I wouldnt put any kick returner in the Hall thats for sure. I would also put someone like Adam Vinateri in the HOF before I would Hester as well. Now, if Hester returns a couple of kickoffs or punts for TD's in an NFC title game or SuperBowl I might change my opinion. For now.. I still say NO WAY.

Ray Guy and punters, guards, and centers don't score points. Hester does, at rate better than anyone IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL. Hester is the best at returner of all time.

He's a HOF regardless of his numbers as a WR.

Well, he returned one to start the super bowl against the colts... So just one more?
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:

Well, he returned one to start the super bowl against the colts... So just one more?

TD returns that win a SB - I should have clarified. Again, no debating that he is good at what he does. He is a great returner. However, Hall of Fame??? Not for me.

I say no. If Brian Mitchell and Dante Hall arent, then neither should he.

HOWEVER

If he puts up over 25 Return TDs....I think he has a good shot.

Ray Guy and punters, guards, and centers don't score points. Hester does, at rate better than anyone IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL. Hester is the best at returner of all time.

He's a HOF regardless of his numbers as a WR.

Ray Guy had a much bigger impact on Raider games than Hester has ever had. You must not be old enough to have seen him punt. He changed the field position in every game he played in. He was a first round pick and the greatest punter to ever live.

WHo gives a damn about whether they score points. With that logic dont include any lineman at all in the HOF. Anyone knows that a great team HAS to have a great OL in order to run and pass. Are you REALLY telling me that you think Devin Hester is more deserving than Larry Allen for the HOF? That is a joke.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
I say no. If Brian Mitchell and Dante Hall arent, then neither should he.

HOWEVER

If he puts up over 25 Return TDs....I think he has a good shot.

This is exactly what I was thinking. If the previous record holder isn't in, why now? Either way I hate these types of arguments when someone is in mid career, why always the rush to annoint someone? But if his career ended today I would say absolutely not.

TD returns that win a SB - I should have clarified. Again, no debating that he is good at what he does. He is a great returner. However, Hall of Fame??? Not for me.

Oh gotcha lol

He did play a part in bringing us Denny green's infamous tirade. He should get something for that, at least.

Oh gotcha lol

He did play a part in bringing us Denny green's infamous tirade. He should get something for that, at least.

Still my favorite tirade ever. Classic!
Share 49ersWebzone