LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 292 users in the forums

Coaching staff: If you could pick your own

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by redrathman:
However, I would love to have 2 older guys as our coordinators that are or have been head coaches and would never again get an opportunity.

People said the same thing about Norv Turner after Washington fired him and then again when Oakland fired him. People also said the same thing after Denver fired Phillips and then when Buffalo fired him.

If they prove themselves as coordinators, they'll be in the running to lead again.

At their current ages and failures with playoff caliber teams I doubt they get another shot . Turner would have a slim chance perhaps but I would be shocked if Wade ever gets another opportunity.

Norv Turner is 58. He could coach another 10 years. I'd argue that he wouldn't take anything less than a Head Coaching spot if San Diego fires him. It's conceivable that Phillips would take a year off (getting paid by Dallas no less) and then come back when a new CBA is in place.

It's a pipe dream to think both would be available and content with a coordinator's position in the long term.
  • cools
  • Veteran
more of a predition...

GM E.DeCosta ( Assistant to GM Ozzie in Balt)
HC B.Billick (Fox Analyst)
OC M.Johnson ( Current Niner OC)
DC M.Lewis (Current Cinci HC)
ST D.Simmons (Current Cinci ST coach)
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
The best franchise going right now and for the past decade has been the Pats. I wouldn't mind bringing in a trio of former Pats coaches:

HC: Charlie Weiss, he has KC looking pretty balanced and Matt Cassel is having his best year as a pro.

OC: Josh McDaniels, and extension of the HC and another great offensive mind. Did wonders for orton and Lloyd.

DC: Eric Mangini if he is let go and he probably will be.

If we want to got the WCO rout

HC: Gruden

OC: Gary Kubiak will most likly be fired.

DC: whoever Gruden wants maybe a guy like Wade.

I'm a Charlie Weis believer so I like the suggestions above with one exception...Mangina. Don't like him; seems like a scheming little punk.

lol. I don't like him either, but couldn't think of anyone from the NE tree. Im sure Weiss would have other options as far as coaches he knows.

Though not necessarily from the NE tree, I could see Marvin Lewis as a DC option. He definitely won't be returning to Cincy next year, and likely won't get a legit shot at a HC job until he rebuilds his reputation.
The best franchise going right now and for the past decade has been the Pats. I wouldn't mind bringing in a trio of former Pats coaches:

HC: Charlie Weiss, he has KC looking pretty balanced and Matt Cassel is having his best year as a pro.

OC: Josh McDaniels, and extension of the HC and another great offensive mind. Did wonders for orton and Lloyd.

I'm a Charlie Weis believer so I like the suggestions above with one exception...Mangina. Don't like him; seems like a scheming little punk.

lol. I don't like him either, but couldn't think of anyone from the NE tree. Im sure Weiss would have other options as far as coaches he knows.

I don't know, the Belicheat tree has a rotten record.
Ghost for gm
Head Coach-Sean Peyton
DC- Dick Lebeau
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
How about a group of experienced pros? Look at Chicago, their Oline, Dline, OC have all been NFL head coaches and their HC has a long track record of success as a DC. KC has similar experienced staffs. Every coach in the last decade here has been too insecure to bring in that kind of experience and it's a revolving door of 1st timers who crash and burn (other than Martz, who actually was decent, surprise surprise).
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:

I don't know, the Belicheat tree has a rotten record.

I guess I see Weis as more of a Parcells guy than a Belichick guy. Weis started his pro career with Parcells (Giants), then became Bill's OC with the Jets for a few years before going to NE to install the Perkins-Erhardt offense for Belichick.
Originally posted by teeohh:
Ghost for gm

However, I would love to have 2 older guys as our coordinators that are or have been head coaches and would never again get an opportunity.

People said the same thing about Norv Turner after Washington fired him and then again when Oakland fired him. People also said the same thing after Denver fired Phillips and then when Buffalo fired him.

If they prove themselves as coordinators, they'll be in the running to lead again.

At their current ages and failures with playoff caliber teams I doubt they get another shot . Turner would have a slim chance perhaps but I would be shocked if Wade ever gets another opportunity.

Norv Turner is 58. He could coach another 10 years. I'd argue that he wouldn't take anything less than a Head Coaching spot if San Diego fires him. It's conceivable that Phillips would take a year off (getting paid by Dallas no less) and then come back when a new CBA is in place.

It's a pipe dream to think both would be available and content with a coordinator's position in the long term.

Yep. There are SO many head coaches in the NFL over 60 years of age. I am sure that Norv would be able to have dozens of opportunities given his tremendous failures in San Diego. Just so you know there is 1 HC in the NFL over 60 - Tom Coughlin who has been in the position for many years.

Reality is... if Turner was fired the ONLY job he would get would be for an Offensive Coordinator. His HC days would be long gone. The way you talk you would think that Turner and Phillips are 40 years old and in high demand. I would bet the ranch that both end up their careers as coordinators and will never again be head coaches.

Yep. There are SO many head coaches in the NFL over 60 years of age. I am sure that Norv would be able to have dozens of opportunities given his tremendous failures in San Diego. Just so you know there is 1 HC in the NFL over 60 - Tom Coughlin who has been in the position for many years.

Reality is... if Turner was fired the ONLY job he would get would be for an Offensive Coordinator. His HC days would be long gone. The way you talk you would think that Turner and Phillips are 40 years old and in high demand. I would bet the ranch that both end up their careers as coordinators and will never again be head coaches.

I agree with John...both have proven to be incapable of leading multiple teams to the promised land as head coaches, but are more than capable coordinators. Some men are kings, and some are pawns....Turner and Phillips are pawns.

Who said anything about Norv Turner being over 60?

Bill Belichick, Chan Gailey and Mike Shanahan are the same age as Norv Turner. It's likely that all three will still be coaching in the NFL within two seasons.

Tremendous failures in San Diego? You being ranked 2nd in the NFL in Offensive YPG and 1st in the NFL in Defensive YPG in 2010? Three straight AFC West division titles?

It took Schottenheimer five seasons to get two division titles.
GM0 Holmgren
HC-belichick
OC-Norv Turner
DC- lebeau
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
To me to get out of the NFC, the 49ers must build a team to beat Atlanta, New Orleans, and Philadelphia, who in my opinion I see dominating this conference for the forseeable future if they can keep their teams together.

There are some good suggestions in here and I think Jed should hire a GM/VP of football operations 1st unless he's bringing in a power coach who will bring in his own guy (which I am adamantly against).
GM: Ted Sundquist
HC: Jim Harbaugh
OC: David Shaw or Bill Callahan
DC: Marvin Lewis
Share 49ersWebzone