LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 161 users in the forums

NO GRUDEN PLEASE!!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by boast:
i agree 100% with the title of this thread.

f**k John Gruden!

lucked out winning a Super Bowl with Tony Dungy's great defensive team against a Raider team that was using Gruden's playbook without any changes.

other than that SB, what has Gruden done? nothing!

"In 1990, Gruden's father Jim set up an interview with Mike Holmgren, who was the offensive coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers. Gruden impressed Holmgren with his knowledge of the game for such a young man. Holmgren hired Gruden as one of the first quality control coaches in the NFL.

He quickly ascended through the ranks of NFL coaching by learning the famous West Coast offense pioneered by longtime NFL coach Bill Walsh. When Holmgren left the 49ers to become head coach of the Green Bay Packers in 1992, he took the promising young Gruden with him to become the team's wide receivers coach.

After three seasons in Green Bay, Gruden moved on to become the offensive coordinator of the Philadelphia Eagles under former Packers assistant coach Ray Rhodes.

Gruden then was chosen by the owner and general manager of the Oakland Raiders, Al Davis, to be the Raiders' new head coach for the 1998 season."--Wiki info (Hey, don't shoot the messenger and it's viable info even if it is from Wiki)

Before Tampa, he accomplished a great deal Boast especially in his knowledge of an NFL organization's heirarchy, business practices, and coaching/player relationships--He's an NFL experienced HC with an incredible background in the WCO.

He compiled a 40–28 win-loss record (including playoffs) in four seasons with the Raiders with Al nipping at him all the way to the point that Al eventually got rid of him.

That's the record I focus on because Gruden built that Oakland team from the ground up.

We need that...desperately.

So why not Gruden, Boast? Just curious?

because he is a blowhard. i have no doubt his type of coaching will wear on the players after awhile. i have had enough with blowhard coaches **cough**Sing**cough**
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Ok...you're against Gruden...but neither of you have said who Jed should hire and why? It's one thing to disagree...it's yet another to come up with a better solution.

I think a lot more has to happen before a HC hire. I don't really see the 49ers turning it around until they get real football people running things. I think a GM hire is most important for long term success. As to who that would be? I have no idea. I'm not familiar with any front office names around the league.

As for HC, I am partial to Harbaugh. I believe he did well developing Josh Johnson and Luck.

I admit I'm not real familiar with Harbaugh's coaching style really, I just see the results he gets. When I think of the 49ers past success, Walsh, he was a teacher. I think that is an important quality in a HC candidate. Nolan and Singletary weren't really teachers, they are "disciplinarians" (unfortunately not in performance). I don't know if Harbaugh fits what I describe... I just like the results he gets given where he has been.

I'd rather we hire the HC first. That way we know what direction we wanna go in, what philosophy we're gonna implement and hire a GM accordingly. If we hire a GM first and then an HC and they don't see eye to eye on the team philosophy, then we got ourselves a clusterf**k.

Probably a case to have the HC/GM be the same person, although I don't think that works well very often. The problem with your method... I'm reminded of the whole Nolan-McCloughan thing. They are limited in selection to those that favor whoever the HC is and that philosophy. I just think a good GM is more important for long term success. Head coaches with long stints is quickly becoming a rarity.

Gruden has proven that when things go his way he's usually successful. Case in point Oakland, and then when Tampa finally got rid of McKay, who did not get along with Chucky and kept drafting based on the Tony Dungy philosophy, the Bucs jumped back to 11-5, followed by two 9-7 seasons. Though the last season they were 9-3 until their D decided to s**t a brick in December giving up like 40 points per game.

Not to mention he had salary cap problems to work with for most of his tenure in Tampa, and if anyone should know how salary cap problems hinder a team, it's Niners fans.
Ok...you're against Gruden...but neither of you have said who Jed should hire and why? It's one thing to disagree...it's yet another to come up with a better solution.

I think a lot more has to happen before a HC hire. I don't really see the 49ers turning it around until they get real football people running things. I think a GM hire is most important for long term success. As to who that would be? I have no idea. I'm not familiar with any front office names around the league.

As for HC, I am partial to Harbaugh. I believe he did well developing Josh Johnson and Luck.

I admit I'm not real familiar with Harbaugh's coaching style really, I just see the results he gets. When I think of the 49ers past success, Walsh, he was a teacher. I think that is an important quality in a HC candidate. Nolan and Singletary weren't really teachers, they are "disciplinarians" (unfortunately not in performance). I don't know if Harbaugh fits what I describe... I just like the results he gets given where he has been.

I'd rather we hire the HC first. That way we know what direction we wanna go in, what philosophy we're gonna implement and hire a GM accordingly. If we hire a GM first and then an HC and they don't see eye to eye on the team philosophy, then we got ourselves a clusterf**k.

Probably a case to have the HC/GM be the same person, although I don't think that works well very often. The problem with your method... I'm reminded of the whole Nolan-McCloughan thing. They are limited in selection to those that favor whoever the HC is and that philosophy. I just think a good GM is more important for long term success. Head coaches with long stints is quickly becoming a rarity.

Gruden has proven that when things go his way he's usually successful. Case in point Oakland, and then when Tampa finally got rid of McKay, who did not get along with Chucky and kept drafting based on the Tony Dungy philosophy, the Bucs jumped back to 11-5, followed by two 9-7 seasons. Though the last season they were 9-3 until their D decided to s**t a brick in December giving up like 40 points per game.

Not to mention he had salary cap problems to work with for most of his tenure in Tampa, and if anyone should know how salary cap problems hinder a team, it's Niners fans.

Lets not start making excuses for his failures before he get the job.... Bad sign! I'll take him over Sing tho...
[ Edited by D-NOTTE on Dec 7, 2010 at 8:44 AM ]
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
Originally posted by PERUVIAN49ERS:
I agree whit you....but i prefer Cowher....for now...

We could make the same argument for Cowher... He had several enept seasons before he won one... The Steelers were not a contender a lot of years.. He was there for how many years before he won one.. I just remembered him being the longest tenured coach and people screaming for him to be fired before Big Ben came... He not Cowher made the difference.. Ben went 15 straight or something like that his rookie year then one the SB the next year. So do you Credit Cowher or a geat QB

In Cowher’s 15 seasons, the Steelers captured eight division titles, earned ten postseason playoff berths, played in 21 playoff games, advanced to six AFC Championship games and made two Super Bowl appearances. He is one of only six coaches in NFL history to claim at least seven division titles. It has become an article of faith among NFL pundits that the Steelers do not have a bad team two years in a row – they have never lost 10 or more games in consecutive years since the 1970 NFL merger. At the conclusion of the 2005 season, the Pittsburgh Steelers had the best record of any team in the National Football League since Cowher was hired as head coach.

In 92 his first year there, he took a 7-9 Steeler team the year before to 11-5 and home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Every year he has been there his teams were always in the mix...all this while always loosing top tier free agents, because Pittsburgh wouldnt spend money to keep them. Do alittle research next time, Pittsburgh under Cower was ALWAYS competitve. And no one was screaming for him to be fired EVER.

Pittsburgh Steelers Year by Year Results
Year W L T Finish
2005 11 5 0 1st
2004 15 1 0 1st
2003 6 10 0 3rd
2002 10 5 1 1st
2001 13 3 0 1st
2000 9 7 0 3rd
1999 6 10 0 4th
1998 7 9 0 3rd
1997 11 5 0 1st
1996 10 6 0 1st
1995 11 5 0 1st
1994 12 4 0 1st
1993 9 7 0 2nd
1992 11 5 0 1st

Do some research before spewing out some info that is far from the truth.

As for Cower being coach here though....no. Im sick of having D style coaches...we need an offensive identity...we need an offensive minded coach.

I wouldnt be mad at hiring Cower though. I just see him in Carolina.

Lets not start making excuses for his failures before he get the job.... Bad sign! I'll take him over Sing tho...

No excuses... facts.

Plus he's been successful more times than not, so... and if his winning percentage puts him at #18 all time... I'll take that.

The point is, I know people will bag on him for his stint in TB, but the odds were against him. GM that doesn't like you, picks forced on you, cap problems, aging D. Those do have an effect on the end product.

If he were to get the job here he'd be walking into a much better situation. The owners would be happy to just have him here and would bend over backwards to get him what he needs. He wouldn't have cap problems to worry about. And he has a couple of weapons to get started with on offense, and doesn't have to worry about 10 players aging on him. And he doesn't have to worry about upholding the previous coach's philosophy. He can build the team to his liking.
[ Edited by silkyjohnson on Dec 7, 2010 at 9:02 AM ]
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

We could make the same argument for Cowher... He had several enept seasons before he won one... The Steelers were not a contender a lot of years.. He was there for how many years before he won one.. I just remembered him being the longest tenured coach and people screaming for him to be fired before Big Ben came... He not Cowher made the difference.. Ben went 15 straight or something like that his rookie year then one the SB the next year. So do you Credit Cowher or a geat QB

In Cowher’s 15 seasons, the Steelers captured eight division titles, earned ten postseason playoff berths, played in 21 playoff games, advanced to six AFC Championship games and made two Super Bowl appearances. He is one of only six coaches in NFL history to claim at least seven division titles. It has become an article of faith among NFL pundits that the Steelers do not have a bad team two years in a row – they have never lost 10 or more games in consecutive years since the 1970 NFL merger. At the conclusion of the 2005 season, the Pittsburgh Steelers had the best record of any team in the National Football League since Cowher was hired as head coach.

In 92 his first year there, he took a 7-9 Steeler team the year before to 11-5 and home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Every year he has been there his teams were always in the mix...all this while always loosing top tier free agents, because Pittsburgh wouldnt spend money to keep them. Do alittle research next time, Pittsburgh under Cower was ALWAYS competitve. And no one was screaming for him to be fired EVER. Pittsburgh Steelers Year by Year Results
Year W L T Finish
2005 11 5 0 1st
2004 15 1 0 1st
2003 6 10 0 3rd
2002 10 5 1 1st
2001 13 3 0 1st
2000 9 7 0 3rd
1999 6 10 0 4th
1998 7 9 0 3rd
1997 11 5 0 1st
1996 10 6 0 1st
1995 11 5 0 1st
1994 12 4 0 1st
1993 9 7 0 2nd
1992 11 5 0 1st

As for Cower being coach here though....no. Im sick of having D style coaches...we need an offensive identity...we need an offensive minded coach.

OK granted he had only 3 losing seasons...... But what other part of what I said was inaccurate.. They were screamin for him to be fired after that 6-10 season and never winning a SB after 13years and being the longest tenured in the league at the time.." Do your research" I will provide the link asap!!!!!
Anyone who can take the Raiders and go 40-28 (including playoff wins) in 4 seasons is a hell of a coach. Not to mention, in his 11 seasons, he's guided his teams to 5 division titles and of course, a world championship.

Yah, we don't want someone like that coaching our team.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Dec 7, 2010 at 9:05 AM ]

In 92 his first year there, he took a 7-9 Steeler team the year before to 11-5 and home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Every year he has been there his teams were always in the mix...all this while always loosing top tier free agents, because Pittsburgh wouldnt spend money to keep them. Do alittle research next time, Pittsburgh under Cower was ALWAYS competitve. And no one was screaming for him to be fired EVER. Pittsburgh Steelers Year by Year Results
Year W L T Finish
2005 11 5 0 1st
2004 15 1 0 1st
2003 6 10 0 3rd
2002 10 5 1 1st
2001 13 3 0 1st
2000 9 7 0 3rd
1999 6 10 0 4th
1998 7 9 0 3rd
1997 11 5 0 1st
1996 10 6 0 1st
1995 11 5 0 1st
1994 12 4 0 1st
1993 9 7 0 2nd
1992 11 5 0 1st

OK granted he had only 3 losing seasons...... But what other part of what I said was inaccurate.. They were screamin for him to be fired after that 6-10 season and never winning a SB after 13years and being the longest tenured in the league at the time.." Do your research" I will provide the link asap!!!!!

http://www.themightymjd.com/2005/01/25/fire-bill-cowher/

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fire-bill-cowher.html

http://nslog.com/2005/12/04/fire_bill_cowher_com

http://forum.ebaumsworld.com/archive/index.php/t-107081.html

DO you need more? I got them..... Big Ben saved him.... I'll take him over Sing tho...
[ Edited by D-NOTTE on Dec 7, 2010 at 9:09 AM ]

Year W L T Finish
2005 11 5 0 1st
2004 15 1 0 1st
2003 6 10 0 3rd
2002 10 5 1 1st
2001 13 3 0 1st
2000 9 7 0 3rd
1999 6 10 0 4th
1998 7 9 0 3rd
1997 11 5 0 1st
1996 10 6 0 1st
1995 11 5 0 1st
1994 12 4 0 1st
1993 9 7 0 2nd
1992 11 5 0 1st

DO you need more? I got them..... Big Ben saved him.... I'll take him over Sing tho...

You really want to go with individual blogs, and a thread that someone like you started, and automatically assume that must be true? lol, have at it, thats almost as retarded as not wanting a proven super bowl winning coach who specialty is offense. Oh and btw, in those threads you brought in...90% of the many people who responded to those were in support of Cower...and absolutely FLAMED the original poster. Come on man, you are quoting just individuals here not the consensus!!!!! Like I said get your facts straight.

Any decent QB would have taken the Steelers to the playoffs, because it was obvious the Kordell Stewart experiment was over at that time....Pitt had all their core players in place, all they needed was a QB.

thanks
[ Edited by ninerlifer on Dec 7, 2010 at 9:21 AM ]
Right now I am desperate! Whilst not sold on Gruden, Cowher, Harbaugh or the water boy I would take any of them. Can't see them firing Singletary till the end of the season, though, and not sure it would benefit us.

Originally posted by English:
Right now I am desperate! Whilst not sold on Gruden, Cowher, Harbaugh or the water boy I would take any of them. Can't see them firing Singletary till the end of the season, though, and not sure it would benefit us.

I think we all definitely have an understanding of this.
Originally posted by mo_hawk:
gruden has the personality and social skills to be a great motivator and football coach.

Singletary has neither of those things. He's devoid of any personality, and his verbal skills are awkward and forced.

Great personality type for a hard-hitting defensive legend. Poor demeanor for the coach of a team in the process of getting back to it's former glory.

If I were you, I'd Google Jon Gruden with respect to how his players viewed him.

Hint: It's not good.

Year W L T Finish
2005 11 5 0 1st
2004 15 1 0 1st
2003 6 10 0 3rd
2002 10 5 1 1st
2001 13 3 0 1st
2000 9 7 0 3rd
1999 6 10 0 4th
1998 7 9 0 3rd
1997 11 5 0 1st
1996 10 6 0 1st
1995 11 5 0 1st
1994 12 4 0 1st
1993 9 7 0 2nd
1992 11 5 0 1st

You really want to go with individual blogs, and a thread that someone like you started, and automatically assume that must be true? lol, have at it, thats almost as retarded as not wanting a proven super bowl winning coach who specialty is offense. Oh and btw, in those threads you brought in...90% of the many people who responded to those were in support of Cower...and absolutely FLAMED the original poster. Come on man, you are quoting just individuals here not the consensus!!!!! Like I said get your facts straight.

Any decent QB would have taken the Steelers to the playoffs, because it was obvious the Kordell Stewart experiment was over at that time....Pitt had all their core players in place, all they needed was a QB.

thanks

Regardless of what they say this was to show you it was indeed out there and even a petition started... This was to underscore you stating earlier no one wanted to fire Cowher like I posted..... after 13 years and no SB and coming off of a 6-10 season Fans were calling for his head... I also remember him interviewing on this same topic back then.... So my point is proven....
Originally posted by 49ersswagger:
John Gruden is more than qualified to be head coach of the 49ers he has a superbowl with brad smith at qb who else could turn brad smith in superbowl winnig qb.Tampa Bay had great defense he inheirited from tony dungy but their offense under tony dungy was a joke. John gruden installed west coast offense there and went to superbowl and won it almost immediately. I also remember John gruden winning more games as a raiders headcoach than any one except John Madden without bullsh** tuck rule raiders would have made superbowl that year and i remember raiders in superbowl with a qb developed by John Gruden rich gannon who was at best a journey man type qb before he came to oakland. The bottom line he is off the bill walsh coaching tree he was taught the west coast offense by mike holmgren who won superbowls with packers and went to one with seahawks. John Gruden is the best coach available and the 49ers would be lucky to have him. I dont want someone unproven with no superbowl rings we need a championship caliber coach to bring us back to the superbowl and bring 6th lombardi trophy back to San Francisco

I like your swagger, sir.

Thanks go niners

Year W L T Finish
2005 11 5 0 1st
2004 15 1 0 1st
2003 6 10 0 3rd
2002 10 5 1 1st
2001 13 3 0 1st
2000 9 7 0 3rd
1999 6 10 0 4th
1998 7 9 0 3rd
1997 11 5 0 1st
1996 10 6 0 1st
1995 11 5 0 1st
1994 12 4 0 1st
1993 9 7 0 2nd
1992 11 5 0 1st

thanks

Regardless of what they say this was to show you it was indeed out there and even a petition started... This was to underscore you stating earlier no one wanted to fire Cowher like I posted..... after 13 years and no SB and coming off of a 6-10 season Fans were calling for his head... I also remember him interviewing on this same topic back then.... So my point is proven....

I just read the rest of your post.... First where in the hell did you get Cowher specialty iss OFF..... He a DC and a special teams coach check WIKI and what also retarded after I show you it was out there to fire him, you still act like I made it up... But I'll take him over Sing
[ Edited by D-NOTTE on Dec 7, 2010 at 10:20 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone