LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 200 users in the forums

Jon Gruden not to coach

Shop 49ers game tickets
Jon Gruden told USA Today that he will not return to coaching in 2011 and will stay with espn monday night football. Just thought I'll let you guys know
Good find.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. Probably a negotiating tactic... His starting offer just went up. Now owners have to pay more just to get him to consider coming back to coaching.

Or maybe a lockout thing.
ehhh i dont buy into all that. Gruden is a rock star in the bay area.. And if offered the job and the right amount of money i see him coming home no matter what he says now in 2010
idk its kind of a punch in the stomach for me I was hoping gruden would coach the 49ers next year
Bulls**t, Jay Glazer said this morning on Fox that he's link to SF (Glazer's rumors are more legit than even Gruden's own lies).
That's alright for now--there's still the possibility of Holmgren or Billick (I think).
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Bulls**t, Jay Glazer said this morning on Fox that he's link to SF (Glazer's rumors are more legit than even Gruden's own lies).

not he didnt... your reading way to much into what he said
Coach? QB?
Originally posted by ace130:
Jon Gruden told USA Today that he will not return to coaching in 2011 and will stay with espn monday night football. Just thought I'll let you guys know

Harbaugh.
Harbaugh to coach in the nfl! idk so far history has shown us college coaches don't make it in the nfl

Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

not he didnt... your reading way to much into what he said

Or maybe I read too deeply into his glazed/waxed bald head?
  • evil
  • Veteran
Link ?

I got this one from 3 hours ago :

Quote:
Any high-profile ex-coach who might return to the sidelines generates extra buzz if he's on TV during his supposed sabbatical: It's harder to forget about somebody is his face is popping up on-air.

Like ESPN's Jon Gruden. Last week's flurry of speculation had the 'Monday Night Football' analyst going to the University of Miami. But that was never a possibility, said Fox NFL reporter Jay Glazer Sunday, who threw out another Gruden scenario: "He was never going to the University of Miami. I think he wanted it out there. ... One place he's linked to is the San Francisco 49ers."

-- Michael Hiestand

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/index
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Link ?

Quote:
Any high-profile ex-coach who might return to the sidelines generates extra buzz if he's on TV during his supposed sabbatical: It's harder to forget about somebody is his face is popping up on-air.

Like ESPN's Jon Gruden. Last week's flurry of speculation had the 'Monday Night Football' analyst going to the University of Miami. But that was never a possibility, said Fox NFL reporter Jay Glazer Sunday, who threw out another Gruden scenario: "He was never going to the University of Miami. I think he wanted it out there. ... One place he's linked to is the San Francisco 49ers."

-- Michael Hiestand

Quote:
“Jon’s contract with ESPN runs through the 2011 season, he’s made a commitment to us, and in the contract there’s a commitment to us,” Norby Williamson, an executive vice president for Walt Disney Co.’s ESPN, said on the conference call. “He won’t be having any conversations to entertain a college or pro offer through the 2011 season.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-02/jon-gruden-says-he-won-t-take-miami-job-will-stay-with-espn-through-2011.html
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Link ?

Quote:

-- Michael Hiestand

Quote:
“Jon’s contract with ESPN runs through the 2011 season, he’s made a commitment to us, and in the contract there’s a commitment to us,” Norby Williamson, an executive vice president for Walt Disney Co.’s ESPN, said on the conference call. “He won’t be having any conversations to entertain a college or pro offer through the 2011 season.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-02/jon-gruden-says-he-won-t-take-miami-job-will-stay-with-espn-through-2011.html

______

Maybe Gruden won't coach this season. But it will have nothing to do with his TV contract.

If his TV contract was going to stop him...he would've never taken a meeting with Miami. If Gruden wants to coach next year, he will coach next year.
Interesting
Share 49ersWebzone