LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 316 users in the forums

Reid's Coaching tree: Mornhinweg/Childress/Shurmur

Shop 49ers game tickets
All of these guys have worked together in the past and 2 out of the 3 have been head coaches before. Matt Barrows always mentions Shurmur as a HC candidate if Gruden isn't available, but I want to ask the zoners about the relationship these guys have.

According to wikipedia in 2004 Mornhinweg was Assistant HC, Childress was OC, and Shurmur was Qb coach in Philly. Does anyone know how that worked out? Wasn't Reid calling the offensive plays back then?

Also if Shurmur was hired as our Head Coach do you think there is a chance he brings in Childress as an offensive assistant/OC? That means their roles would be reversed from 2004.
That was the year they went to the super bowl, so it sounds like a good coaching group to me.

Former HCs work under old assistants now and then (e.g. Martz and Lovie Smith).
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
I wish people would stop mentioning Childress. He's terrible. He doesn't call plays and is a poor leader.
Originally posted by FL9er:
I wish people would stop mentioning Childress. He's terrible. He doesn't call plays and is a poor leader.

what about as a coordinator. Look at Nolan he is a very good coordinator but failed miserably as HC.
Originally posted by global_nomad:

what about as a coordinator. Look at Nolan he is a very good coordinator but failed miserably as HC.

The same could be said for Norv Turner.
just say noooo to childress
Same could be said for our own HC in Sing. Must have been a great LB coach at Ravens and 9ers.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran

He never called plays as an offensive coordinator.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:

He's done pretty decent with the amount of turnover at San Diego.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by PTulini:

He's done pretty decent with the amount of turnover at San Diego.

he also has a top 5 QB though.

dj43 has been beating the Shurmur drum a lot lately and he makes some great points about what a good job he's doing and how hiring him would be a two-fer because we'd get a good QB teacher/offensive minded coach AND poach him from our biggest division rival. But the truth is that any guys from that system/coaching tree, except Childress, who seems to be damaged goods right now, would make me happy.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
dj43 has been beating the Shurmur drum a lot lately and he makes some great points about what a good job he's doing and how hiring him would be a two-fer because we'd get a good QB teacher/offensive minded coach AND poach him from our biggest division rival. But the truth is that any guys from that system/coaching tree, except Childress, who seems to be damaged goods right now, would make me happy.

I was driving the Pat Shurmur bandwagon back before we eventually hired Jimmy Raye as our OC.
Share 49ersWebzone