There are 169 users in the forums

NFL and fighting

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
You can fight just please dont tackle anybody too hard

Nice job of over exaggerating. Are you happy when these guys are 45 years old and cant remember their name and/or drink antifreeze to kill themselves due to concussion related depression?
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Everyone is looking at this from a moral level, what is right and what is wrong.

The fact is, you are more likely to be hurt long term or even have your life threatened from a full speed helmet on helmet hit, not a fight.

Yes, fighting doesn't belong in the NFL, but wrong or right it is not nearly as dangerous as getting your neck broke from a helmet on helmet.

But I still think we should let these guys fight and hit each other as hard as they can. That's why they make the millions.
I think the NFL was caught off guard. I think next time someone gets hammered.
If aj had punched harrison I bet harrison would have been the only one suspended
Originally posted by backontop:

and don't even think about doing a dance after you score a TD!

and dont you dare celebrate as a team!
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jojomellon:

Nice job of over exaggerating. Are you happy when these guys are 45 years old and cant remember their name and/or drink antifreeze to kill themselves due to concussion related depression?

I agree with what you're saying, BUT then again..these men chose to play this sport and obviously are being HEAVILY compensated for it.

nobody forces them to play the game. they get paid to work for 20 games and only 16 of them matter. I'm sure a lot of Americans would take the risk of being hurt for millions of dollars a year if they could.

As for your ignorant comment about suicide. How many players have committed suicide because of concussion related depression?

Steve Young looked perfectly fine on MNF and he had more than a fair share of concussions. Troy Aikman will be able to announce this weekend just fine even though I hate him

[ Edited by sincalfaithful on Dec 3, 2010 at 09:35:07 ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran

nobody forces them to play the game. they get paid to work for 20 games and only 16 of them matter. I'm sure a lot of Americans would take the risk of being hurt for millions of dollars a year if they could.

As for your ignorant comment about suicide. How many players have committed suicide because of concussion related depression?

Steve Young looked perfectly fine on MNF and he had more than a fair share of concussions. Troy Aikman will be able to announce this weekend just fine even though I hate him

This. Like I said above. They made the decision to come into the NFL. They played college..high school..etc. They know football is a rough sport. And FOR THAT..they make millions of dollars a year. If you don't want to risk that kind of injury for the money you're being offered, then leave.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

did they not already explain it enough for everyone ?

wtf

1st time for fighting which could be a slap to a punch gets $7500 fine 2nd time gets $25k and 3rd time is money and or games

why is this hard to understand
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I have a feeling they didn't want Houston's best player missing the Thursday Night game against the Eagles.

Originally posted by BobS:
I have a feeling they didn't want Houston's best player missing the Thursday Night game against the Eagles.

I dont have the number off hand but at least two or three and those are just the documented cases.
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:

did they not already explain it enough for everyone ?

wtf

1st time for fighting which could be a slap to a punch gets $7500 fine 2nd time gets $25k and 3rd time is money and or games

why is this hard to understand

OK, then why did Johnson get 25K if it was his 1st time?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Finnegan deserved to get his ass kicked. He said he wants to be a dirty player. He was playing dirty.

I got the impression from around the league that everyone felt Johnson was justified.

If you let a guy do that to you, he'll just keep doing it. If the refs won't step in, what else was he supposed to do? Finnegan was punching him in his chin strap all game. That's against the rules and just plain dirty.

You have to take a stand at some point. Other teams watch game film and it's not as if Finnegan is the only dirty corner in the league. If Johnson keeps letting him do it, don't you think other corners are going to do the same thing?

It'll be interesting to see if anyone tries that with Johnson again. I have a feeling the refs will be watching for it now and start throwing flags on those corners that try it.

Personally, I applaud Johnson for kicking the s**t out of that little turd.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

OK, then why did Johnson get 25K if it was his 1st time?

Goodell just does whatever he wants. There aren't any real rules. Goodell just makes judgement calls.
Share 49ersWebzone