LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 311 users in the forums

Gruden to SF?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Also Holmgren is probably too old and tired now.
There will be half a dozen teams looking for head coaches next year and most of them won't have a cheap, stupid owner. We will be extremely fortunate to get anyone half decent.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by wailers15:
GRUDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He will bring an intensity with X's & O's, something Singles lacks

he will also destroy the roster like he did in Tampa.

I got news for you buddy boy. Gruden will not ruin this roster. leave that to the dorks and their stubborn ways to handle that. Gruden cant do worse than what weve seen here the past 7 years.. Hey a consistant 500 team is better than this slop we put on the field.
Originally posted by cris_sonic:

If a coach can make a Pac-10 football doormat into national rank team within two years and lure a blue-chip QB in Andrew Luck to go to Stanford... let Jim Harbaugh coach the Niners!

I have faith
  • dj43
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by dj43:
ESPN went to considerable length tonight to publish reports that Gruden is fully committed to ESPN and has no plans to return to coaching. For some reason I believe he may just like that weekly national spotlight more than the grind of being a HC.

they have every right to say that. he is under contract and they want to keep it that way, and the best way for them to do that is to squash the rumor mill and try to push away any Gruden suitors. It also means absolutely nothing. I'm sure you know that.

Oh, I get it. I just think Gruden's ego is so big he would prefer the national stage on Monday night than the task of trying to put this franchise back on the map. I have nothing on which to base that other than my own opinion.

Let's fact it. This organization is not a glowing rose.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WestCoast:
i want harbaugh, and if we're lucky we get Luck

Holmgren is far more proven. Talking to both Raiders and Bucs fans they dont seem to think Gruden is all that great. I know he won the SB, but what happened after that?Holmgren makes us an instant playoff team, year after year.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Nov 28, 2010 at 23:08:30 ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Holmgren is far more proven. Talking to both Raiders and Bucs fans they dont seem to think Gruden is all that great. I know he won the SB, but what happened after that?Holmgren makes us an instant playoff team.

My friend who's a Raiders fan thinks he's a really good coach, and he knows a lot about football. I believe his dad worked for the Raiders in some capacity for a little while when he was younger.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Holmgren is far more proven. Talking to both Raiders and Bucs fans they dont seem to think Gruden is all that great. I know he won the SB, but what happened after that?Holmgren makes us an instant playoff team.

My friend who's a Raiders fan thinks he's a really good coach, and he knows a lot about football. I believe his dad worked for the Raiders in some capacity for a little while when he was younger.

Well he definitly would be the best we've had for a long time, but I still prefer Holmgren.

Off topic: Just watched Bajama catch a pass from Bradford for a TD. Like I said, how can anyone really believe they know what the Niners have in talent with this coaching staff?...
If Harbaugh don't come through then Gruden would be next on my list. I don't know why but I'm starting to get man crushes for Brian Billick and Brad Childress. Regardless of what you guys say, they know offense.

Well he definitly would be the best we've had for a long time, but I still prefer Holmgren.

Off topic: Just watched Bajama catch a pass from Bradford for a TD. Like I said, how can anyone really believe they know what the Niners have in talent with this coaching staff?...

I totally agree with you. That's why I trust my eyes, not reports about what coaches say.

But I also a highlight today of Kentwan Balmer getting stiff armed to the turf by Jamaal Charles, on his way to the endzone...
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

I totally agree with you. That's why I trust my eyes, not reports about what coaches say.

But I also a highlight today of Kentwan Balmer getting stiff armed to the turf by Jamaal Charles, on his way to the endzone...

lol
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

A Dlineman getting stiff-armed by a RB? Yikes.

I probably prefer Holmgren too just because he's a QB guru and has succesfully rehabilitated teams before and gotten them to the SB before, but Gruden's not a bad 2nd or 3rd option after Holmgren or Harbaugh.
  • dj43
Originally posted by pelos21:
If Harbaugh don't come through then Gruden would be next on my list. I don't know why but I'm starting to get man crushes for Brian Billick and Brad Childress. Regardless of what you guys say, they know offense.

Billick would be a nice choice but not Childress. Too many skeletons in his closet. He was only the figure head OC with Philly. Reid still designed/approved the offense and had option power over plays. Childress is not the offensive genius some think.

Gruden would be a very good choice because he has worked with QBs and has a good feel for defense in addition to offense.

Watching that Ram offense and how Bradford continues to develop, I am still a fan of Pat Shurmur. Not only has he shown the ability to develop an offense and tune it to a young QB's ability, it would take away a key component from a division rival.
Share 49ersWebzone