There are 261 users in the forums

Gruden to SF?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by wailers15:
GRUDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He will bring an intensity with X's & O's, something Singles lacks

he will also destroy the roster like he did in Tampa.

I tend to agree.

I'd rather have Harbaugh.

I never really heard of him until this year. I think he's being overhyped.
Originally posted by tankle104:
its hard to say he destroyed it.. i mean the team chucky inheirted had alot of aging players on it. he just didnt do a good job replacing those guys. its not like he just started cutting people and s**t lol. he also never had a quality quarterback. brad johnson won the superbowl with an amazing defense and jeff garcia was alright over there. i just think he needs a gm to help him pick out the talent and he would be fine.. not have complete power like he did with tampa.

I just don't see Gruden coming in to SF and being successful. I see him wanting to keep Alex Smith and attempting to keep him as a starter. Gruden talks about Alex Smith like he is his first born.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Tweeting about media speculation is not news.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by wailers15:
GRUDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He will bring an intensity with X's & O's, something Singles lacks

he will also destroy the roster like he did in Tampa.

I tend to agree.

I'd rather have Harbaugh.

I never really heard of him until this year. I think he's being overhyped.

So becauseyou have never heard of him before this year(guess you dont watch college football), that means he is over hyped?

Terrible. Logic.
I think the media just links all available coaches with all teams possibly need coaches. We started making lists of coaches a month or so ago.... that gets the local beat writers talking about it, then ESPN Insider takes their story and all of a sudden its national. Things catch on quickly on the internet, just like fans and trade rumors, etc. Honestly though, I think we are going to spend money and be looking at all possible choices. Do you really think Jed York and family wants to back into the brand new stadium with another 4 years of under .500 ball. It would be best for them if this team is rolling and has a franchise QB. 4 more years of this and they might have trouble getting people to come to the new stadium more than once (just to check it out).
  • evil
  • Veteran
its hard to say he destroyed it.. i mean the team chucky inheirted had alot of aging players on it. he just didnt do a good job replacing those guys. its not like he just started cutting people and s**t lol. he also never had a quality quarterback. brad johnson won the superbowl with an amazing defense and jeff garcia was alright over there. i just think he needs a gm to help him pick out the talent and he would be fine.. not have complete power like he did with tampa.

I just don't see Gruden coming in to SF and being successful. I see him wanting to keep Alex Smith and attempting to keep him as a starter. Gruden talks about Alex Smith like he is his first born.

I don't. I see him drafting a QB with a 1st round pick be it trading up, down or back into the 1st round. He may keep Troy Smith and likely look to trade or sign a veteran to compete as well for the short term.
My order of preference.:
1. Holmgren
2. Harbaugh
3. Gruden

Holmgren, you know he will at the LEAST raise us to playoff caliber level. Harbaugh has so had so much success at San Diego and Stanford, and taking that along with his NFL ties, he could definitely be a smash hit. Gruden, I think he could take us to the playoffs a few times, but I don't know if we'd ever be Super Bowl caliber. Maybe he repeats his Oakland success with us. Either way, any of the 3 would be a 1000x improvement of what we've seen over the last 8 years.

[ Edited by blunt_probe on Nov 28, 2010 at 21:35:12 ]
Originally posted by KRS-1:

I don't. I see him drafting a QB with a 1st round pick be it trading up, down or back into the 1st round. He may keep Troy Smith and likely look to trade or sign a veteran to compete as well for the short term.

The only QB I would draft in the 1st round would be Luck, if he's not available then draft a CB in the 1st and go after Stanzi in the 2nd. If for some god awful reason Gruden ended up being the next HC of the 49ers and actually drafted a QB that is not named Luck then I would be disappointed from the beginning. I really hope that Gruden doesn't get the job here in SF.

The only QB I would draft in the 1st round would be Luck, if he's not available then draft a CB in the 1st and go after Stanzi in the 2nd. If for some god awful reason Gruden ended up being the next HC of the 49ers and actually drafted a QB that is not named Luck then I would be disappointed from the beginning. I really hope that Gruden doesn't get the job here in SF.

Of course you would be disappointed from the beginning. You're doom-and-gloom extraordinaire.
I heard it was already a "Done Deal"

I'm not sure who I want. But I have a feeling that if we get one of Harbaugh or Gruden, Niner Talk will remain divided. What I mean is, the Alex Smith debates will be replaced by Harbaugh and Gruden debates. The animosity will remain, there will be Harbaughlogists and dozens of threads on Grudenscuses. We will never get along
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

#1, that would be my nightmare. #2, the niners tried desparately to trade future bust Alex Smith to the Bucs for their #5 and some other pics on draft day and Gruden didn't bite. Per Glenn Dickey, the niners actually were banking on this trade and their end objective was to get Rodgers with a lower round pick instead of the #1 (plus some other pics), and the whole deal fell apart when the Bucs backed out of the trade and the niners were left holding the bag (of s**t).

Bottom line, if Gruden didn't want Smith then (when expectations were way higher than they are now), then why in the world would he want him now?

[ Edited by Shaj on Nov 28, 2010 at 21:42:15 ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Jed just needs to walk in the booth on mnf and offer Gruden the job.
  • evil
  • Veteran

There is still much that will change between now and the draft and so much we'll learn that it is far to early to stand behind any statement too bold right now. Stanzi may not be a 2nd round selection at that point, he may be viewed as a 5th/6th round selection.
  • dj43
ESPN went to considerable length tonight to publish reports that Gruden is fully committed to ESPN and has no plans to return to coaching. For some reason I believe he may just like that weekly national spotlight more than the grind of being a HC.
Share 49ersWebzone