There are 210 users in the forums

Should the NFL boot the Lions from Thanksgiving Day game

Shop 49ers game tickets

Should the NFL boot the Lions from Thanksgiving Day game

When does the flex schedule kick in? I thought a couple years ago the NFL adopted the flex schedule so as the season progressed they could put the games that will draw ratingings into the prime time slots?
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
By your argument the same way they should boot us from Monday Night Football and Sunday Night Football.

Not exactly, the Lions are guaranteed this game every year. The only reason the 49ers got 4 primetime games this year is because the league bought into the hype that the division was ours for the taking......or losing...

This... you seem like a smart dude SD, but sometimes you say the most ridonkulous shizz.
Originally posted by kingairta:
When does the flex schedule kick in? I thought a couple years ago the NFL adopted the flex schedule so as the season progressed they could put the games that will draw ratingings into the prime time slots?

I think that only applies to NBC's Sunday night game
I hate the third game. The Lions should be there but it should be a traditional rival game. Lions, Bears. Lions, Vikings. something that Their fans want to see. Let the second game be of National Interest. Make the second game a Flex game. Let the 2nd game be decided by the matchup with the best overall record from the weekend two weeks prior. Make sense. Nope. someone help this old fart. Not you Fro.
Absolutely not. Its tradition.
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:

and to the MNF games as well I think.

-9fA
let them keep it. what they SHOULD do, is boot that extra game. the 3rd game is a lame attempt to whore out the NFL's popularity. the Thanksgiving games have been traditions for a long time. adding a 3rd game with 2 random teams cheapens the tradition imo.

what i want to know is why the 49ers havent played a Thanksgiving game in so long...1972? 38 years now? do we request not to, or just never get picked??

the Chargers havent been since 1969, Niners since 1972, and Rams since 1975. other than the Browns since 1989, everyone else has gotten at least 1 in the last 16 years.

[ Edited by Niners99 on Nov 25, 2010 at 14:44:52 ]
Originally posted by Byisgod:
Absolutely not. Its tradition.

And this is what is wrong with the world. Just because something has been going on for a long time doesn't mean it's good. It's f**king football, not religion. I want to be entertained, and the cowgirls and the lions are the last two teams that could ever provide me that. I want to see good teams, preferably ones that I don't hate too, and it wouldn't hurt to see the niners more than once every 30 or 40 years.
The Lions invented football on Thanksgiving and the Cowboy are the most popular team.

I personally feel bad that they have to play on that day.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

nope, thats why the NFL is stuck with us vs AZ. The flex schedule just changes the time of the game, not the day of the game. That would screw with teams because it would mess up their practice schedule.

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

nope, thats why the NFL is stuck with us vs AZ. The flex schedule just changes the time of the game, not the day of the game. That would screw with teams because it would mess up their practice schedule.

Oh ok, I didn't know that.

However, I would argue that MNF games are not flex games because of the logistical difficulty with flights and hotels etc rather than practice schedule issues. The practice schedule can likely be changed with little side-effects if proper notification is given ahead of time.

As for the Lions and Cowboys on Thanksgiving, I don't really care. I actually don't mind watching the Lions since, well, it's the only time of the year that I actually do watch them. The Cowboys I could care less about.

-9fA
no, it is tradition and the team is actually improving. Give it two years and the Lions will be legit. Johnson, Suh, Stafford, Best....they have talent.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
No, it ain't broke don't fix it. The NFL is doing enough to change and butcher things. They deserve the day because they suck so bad.
damn, Lions had the lead going into the half.

What happened? Did their balls drop off?

44 to whatever in the fourth , pats lead?

No...no.
leave em be. I actually prefer these Turkey day games. Honestly I see very little football on T-Day, so I am glad I am not missing much
Share 49ersWebzone